Will You ship outside of the US

-
That customs form shown, can only be used for parcels 4 pounds and less.
Over 4 pounds, you have to use, fill out, a different long form.
But it only takes a few minutes to do.

Let me point out a few things.

First of all, if you ship stuff a lot, you really should use www.stamps.com. For a small monthly fee, you get it all. You can weigh your package, get accurate cost and print the postage and customs form. Set the package outside your front door and the mailman takes it away. No need to go anywhere.

Second, the "all the paperwork" argument doesn't work, at least if you are shipping via USPS. Its a postcard size form.

usps.jpg

From what I understand, USPS is the only way to ship to Canada, UPS and fedex have very high fees.
the form you have shown is for letters and such,,there is a longer form for packages...fyi

Receive discounts you can't get at the Post Office™.

Stamps.com customers save up to:
  • 63% on all Priority Mail Express® shipments
  • 15% on Priority Mail® and First Class Package Service® shipments
  • 10% on international shipments
  • 40% on package insurance

I get the same basic discount when using the online service from USPS for Std Priority and International. Insurance is automatic on internationals usually based upon weight.

You'd have to weigh the fee charged vs. number of parcels and saving, which most here it likely would never be justified.

I ship to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, United Kingdom, South Africa, and South America all the time. Almost all of it does go USPS, but there are times that you must use UPS or FedEx because there are no other options.

Figuring the shipping/handling charges can be tedious, but if you're in the business, that's what you have to do.

Get a third party mail processing program....learn it and use it, and it can become your friend.

It's not that big of a deal.

Hell I don't even like shipping things here in the states.

Last year I had quite a few things for sale. Had a bunch of guys say they wanted the stuff. The. I got it all boxed and a shipping quote and shipping was too much for the buyers.

Me I rather have local pick up. Saves me the time and money of going to the shipping place. Getting the stuff packed only not to sell it.

But hey I'm not in business and I don't sell often and when I do I'm already sling at a loss.

In Canada, if you do some shipping you can join VentureOne with Canpost. You get better rates and free insurance up to 100 bucks . cannot remember if you get a tracking number too.

Where I live, most salvage yards were given a bonus to crush all old cars so there really isn't any used parts here. these yards seem to want to sell reconditioned cars vs parts now...I have hear rumours about clumps of MOPARS ready to strip but after following up leads for 4 years, I have given up. Most folks ..not all..that have parts here are hording them or want an arm or leg.

Even with the cost of shipping, etc, it is usually cheaper for us to ship new parts up from the states than buy in canada even with our currency being par for so long..as long as USPS is the shipper....to put it bluntly, Canadian retailers are hosing us.

I have found a retailer in NS that is staying competitive...but on some things, he is waaaaay off...

I think many other Canadians are in the same boat. If one of us is an As*hole, I don't blame you for not dealing with them but we are not all like that. ...but I don't think we have that market all to ourselves :)

BTW, Bombardier products ( made in Canada) are still cheaper in Maine than New Brunswick.

The border sucks..

ian.

I ship everywhere long as the person pays actual shipping (I don't inflate or charge handling)

I once had a person ship an A/C compressor from Florida to my house here in NS canada and the USPS only charged $40, its quite a heavy item

anything to US or from US you can bet on a $20 minimum but I have a few people I always do business with

I routinely ship outside the U.S. and do everything I can to keep the costs to a minimum. The USPS is the only shipper I've used because I've heard UPS / FedEx charge outrageous brokerage fees.

I'm STILL trying to figure out where the amount of taxes and fees imposed on my customers come from. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the number from what I've seen; does anyone know what they base these amounts on whether it's the stated value, the amount of insurance desired or what???

In my case our post office is always packed and they are slow to get people through. Too many times the USPS calculator has been off when I have taken things to the post office so now I have to get a price directly from the counter to give a quote. That ends up having to deal with two trips to the post office if the buyer does purchase the item. If he doesn't then I have wasted a trip for nothing. All that being said there are members I would ship to anyway.

UPS would be easier in my case but the brokerage fees they charge makes that too expensive for the buyer.

That's a big one. I've found most of the time the online quotes are off, and I've lost money. To get the most accurate quote, I package the item and get it ready for shipment, make the 10 minute drive to the post office and get the price directly from the counter. 20 minute drive round trip, thats 40 min. drive time total for me going there twice...

I mainly use USPS flat rate boxes when I can fit it in there.

But I have no problem shipping things to canada, it doesnt take me long to fill out that 1 page slip, i fudge the numbers a little to help the buyer out.

I ship all over the world also, its part of the business of selling. Knowing the different restrictions of each country is just something you learn by shipping there. Must be too much work for the guys just trying to make an easy buck!!

Now, as for boxing, weighing and quoting and not getting an answer back...arent you goin to box, weigh and quote that box again and again until it is sold? Why not just pack and weigh it once the first time and write the contents, dimension and weight on the box?? I find if it doesnt sell right away, a box is easier to store until it does sell,'and its all ready to quote and ship already!!

I always say, selling parts is easy, its the packing and shipping thats all the work!! If you dont want to do the work, dont do the business!! Geof

Let me point out a few things.

First of all, if you ship stuff a lot, you really should use www.stamps.com. For a small monthly fee, you get it all. You can weigh your package, get accurate cost and print the postage and customs form. Set the package outside your front door and the mailman takes it away. No need to go anywhere.

Second, the "all the paperwork" argument doesn't work, at least if you are shipping via USPS. Its a postcard size form.

From what I understand, USPS is the only way to ship to Canada, UPS and fedex have very high fees.

What if the buyer pays with Paypal and files a report to them item not received or as described? Without tracking you are out the money. No questions asked. usps no tracking

If you do not provide tracking the buyer gets there money back. Unless it is a money transfer to a friend through paypal . How many would transfer money to the US with no receipt of purchase.

There are points on each side that are just. But the bottom line is if someone wants to buy an item from another country. Then they should take the initiative and make the offer of paying the extra cost of shipping after a deposit is made. Or at least some kind of Guarantee of purchase besides their word.

In today's world there are a lot of scams out there. Including on this site. I for one have been stolen from not by one but 3 members on this site. 2 were my own fault. But it won't happen again.

So Joey I think it is up to the seller and the buyer to bring a deal together. This would leave the site without liable which may be harmful to the site. If there is a plan or agenda to enforce out of country sales. I for one will move on. . Sorry for being rude but unless you were ever in some of our shoes on high dollar items "Sharkstooth Grille" you wouldn't understand.
Steve

What if the buyer pays with Paypal and files a report to them item not received? Without tracking you are out the money. No questions asked. usps no tracking

If you do not provide tracking the buyer gets there money back. Unless it is a money transfer to a friend through paypal . How many would transfer money to the US with no receipt of purchase.

The number that appears to the right of the barcode on the customs label(LC516093732US) is a "Delivery Confirmation Number".

This number can be "tracked" just like a UPS or FedEx tracking number from the USPS website.

I ship all over the world, 3 places I ship to the most is Sweden, Canada, and Australia. I only ship USPS and they pay the extra shipping and fees. I stay away from shipping large items cause it's spendy, how ever some members are willing to pay the high costs due to parts being nearly impossible to find over there.

I even go as far as to help members out, have parts they bought shipped to me from sellers who refuse to ship outside the USA, then once they arrive here I slap on a new address and Bon voyage they go!!

I have been buying parts, both nos and used from US for over 30 years! People tend to be very helpful when calling from overseas. It also helps if I tell the seller about cheapest way, value etc. Works out great.

However sometime people will not ship outside US. It's frustrated but that's the sellers point of view.

On this site I have bought several parts and people has been so friendly. However when "no shipping outside US" I must name 66340SEDAN and 65 dartman who has stepped up to help me several times and I'm so grateful for that.

I have shipped several parts to US and alot of times the easiest way is to send the part as an oversized envelope. Easiest and cheapest way.

I ship all over the world also, its part of the business of selling. Knowing the different restrictions of each country is just something you learn by shipping there. Must be too much work for the guys just trying to make an easy buck!!

Now, as for boxing, weighing and quoting and not getting an answer back...arent you goin to box, weigh and quote that box again and again until it is sold? Why not just pack and weigh it once the first time and write the contents, dimension and weight on the box?? I find if it doesnt sell right away, a box is easier to store until it does sell,'and its all ready to quote and ship already!!

I always say, selling parts is easy, its the packing and shipping thats all the work!! If you dont want to do the work, dont do the business!! Geof

not if it sells local. :)

As Joe said for one thing. I normally end up selling more than one part when I do sell something so this would cost a lot more time. I end up buying more than one part many times when I am buying too.

Another big headache with shipping anywhere is the PayPal fees that have to be added to the high out of country shipping price so shipping doesn't eat up your item's sales price. It ends up being a lot of work if the buyer doesn't come through. Even in the states I have had the shipping price be more than the item's sale price.

A problem now a days, is that the great majority of people haven't a clue as to how expensive it is to send a package(s) from point A, to point B.
If your buyer isn't used to getting, and paying, for packages into Canada, or other countries, they are in for a shock, and rude awakening.
The good buyers, are the ones that know how expensive it's going to be, and don't cry, moan, complain, as to the cost.
Another poster thats in Sweden, just made a reply to this thread, and this morning i had to sit down, and figure out how much it would cost to mail a Carter AVS, to someone in his country.
When I'm trying to figure out how much it's going to weigh in at, all packaged up, approximately, the dimensions of the box, I'm saying to myself, "why the heck am i even doing this anymore"?
I have been, shocked, amazed, what i have been having to give a person a mailing quote, thru the USPS, by Priority Mail International.
Personally, i probably have been selling one or two items, in ten, that i have quoted to people in other lands.
You never hear from them again.
Guess I'll do it for a little while longer, but it's called diminished returns, on the time invested, to get things sent off to other countries.

What if the buyer pays with Paypal and files a report to them item not received? Without tracking you are out the money. No questions asked. usps no tracking

The number that appears to the right of the barcode on the customs label(LC516093732US) is a "Delivery Confirmation Number".

This number can be "tracked" just like a UPS or FedEx tracking number from the USPS website.

I didn't know that.

But Pay pal took my money back for a grille not as described. They got their money back and I got nothing but a busted up grille from another car. I couldn't get the law involved because of where I shipped it.

The insurance would give 80% if I provided pics of before and after of the same grille. But that was if they would have said it was damaged when they received it. They didn't, just Item not as described.

Now I could have turned in a claim of damaged parts but the purchaser of the insurance gets the cash. He would have doubled his money. And got the grille!

So that was the deal that changed the way I feel about sending items over the boarder. And the shipping hassle for a dumb *** like myself ain't worth it anymore.

Not even boxing it if it sells local. So it saves me a trip to the shipping store and cost of it being boxed. .

My wife sells and sends things all over the world, and Yes USPS has a tracking #.
I like the way Geof, keith and some of our members roll (as Tony Fields would say) and yes
when I do have anything for sale my wife is the top tech around my house :thumblef:

Just pulling your chain a bit there Joe!! When is sell stuff, i find a box for it first, then weigh it and leave it in the box until it goes out the door. I have a couple hundred boxes on hand, and cant stand having to hunt for a box to ship something in, so if i dont have a box for it, i just dont list it! With the hundreds of dufferent size parts on a single parts car, it just pays to have the boxing done first. I also write all pertinent info right on the box so its always at hand!! Ive sold items months after i list them sometimes and it helps to be able to just grab the box and have all the info right there!!

I ship a lot of stuff!!!...

If you can,t fill out a forum to go to another country and work the buyer and find a free box to package a item,you are a very special in a bad way.I send parts all over Canada and USA and Europe,and go to my local furniture store and get boxes or every size and shape and they are glad to get rid of them and make a box,for FREE.If you don,t have the smarts to fill out a forum get off this site and take up gardening.If a buyer wants a part,and wants me to make value at a certain amount and insurance this way,and say its only worth this,No problem,it,s his/her problem,I am doing as they please.I don,t inflate shipping,I charge the amount posted by the shipping company or the post office,if you can,t do that,I guess you are really in bad shape.As for getting things into Canada,I have been doing this for a long time and can get any thing into Canada for free or such a small fee it,s insane.The Canadian members can call me if they wish and get some ways how to do it.I want some of these USA members to post the sticker or paper that they have to fill out so we can see the unbelievable amount of paper work you have to do,really.Lets see some of the info:
Both addresses for seller and buyer
what the part is,this could be to difficult for some,but not all
Amount of the part,value,you can agree to a amount to be put on,either 100% value or 25-50%
insurance value is equal to the agreed value
If you can,t do this,I will buy you a copy of hooked on phonics.
mrmopartech 450 424 0445

Not that I can't do it. I just don't have the time.

Also After two heart attacks I don't need the stress .

Just like to sell some of the inventory I don't need anymore. If I wanted to sell to every one for the highest price and ship all over the world . And deal with the running around. I would list it on ebay.

The way I do it now is print the paper and hand it to my wife with the part. Easy as pie. If she can't carry it it don't ship. And she is just a little thing so she can't carry much.

Attachments

• ugly.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 146
If you can,t fill out a forum to go to another country and work the buyer and find a free box to package a item,you are a very special in a bad way.I send parts all over Canada and USA and Europe,and go to my local furniture store and get boxes or every size and shape and they are glad to get rid of them and make a box,for FREE.If you don,t have the smarts to fill out a forum get off this site and take up gardening.If a buyer wants a part,and wants me to make value at a certain amount and insurance this way,and say its only worth this,No problem,it,s his/her problem,I am doing as they please.I don,t inflate shipping,I charge the amount posted by the shipping company or the post office,if you can,t do that,I guess you are really in bad shape.As for getting things into Canada,I have been doing this for a long time and can get any thing into Canada for free or such a small fee it,s insane.The Canadian members can call me if they wish and get some ways how to do it.I want some of these USA members to post the sticker or paper that they have to fill out so we can see the unbelievable amount of paper work you have to do,really.Lets see some of the info:
Both addresses for seller and buyer
what the part is,this could be to difficult for some,but not all
Amount of the part,value,you can agree to a amount to be put on,either 100% value or 25-50%
insurance value is equal to the agreed value
If you can,t do this,I will buy you a copy of hooked on phonics.
mrmopartech 450 424 0445

Well said Scott!
I just got back to the computer and my eyes are dry now.

Darryl

I'm STILL trying to figure out where the amount of taxes and fees imposed on my customers come from. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the number from what I've seen; does anyone know what they base these amounts on whether it's the stated value, the amount of insurance desired or what???

Perhaps I can help. All fees and duties are based on the dollar amount on the outside of the package and what it is. For instance, if I ship camera parts into Canada, there is no tariff on camera equipment. Most of the time this equipment is much cheaper than in Canada but with most camera gear bought in the states, the warranty is only good in the states. That is how large corps force us to buy in Canada. Sorry, off the topic.

So, we have sales tax...different between provinces..for us it is 15%.

Here is a list for our provinces:

[FONT=&quot]Province[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Type[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Prov. rate (%)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Total Tax Rate (%)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Alberta[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GST[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]0[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]5[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]British Columbia[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GST + PST[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]7[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]12[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Manitoba[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]13[3][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]New Brunswick[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HST[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]8[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]13[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Newfoundland and Labrador[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]13[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Northwest Territories[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GST[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]0[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]5[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Nova Scotia[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]15[4][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Nunavut[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GST[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]0[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]5[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Ontario[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]13[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Prince Edward Island[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]14[7][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Quebec[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GST + QST[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]9.975[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]14.975[8][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Saskatchewan[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]10[9][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Yukon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GST[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]0[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]5[/FONT]​

Second, Duty (this obscure percentage is buried somewhere in federal government documents but it is based on what it is...like cars over 25 years of age..no duty) and usually a fee to reimburse them for having to collect a fee from you :).

As a famous person once said, I hope that doesn't muddify the fuzzyfacation too much...

I agree with was another poster said...that the buyer must be cognoscente if what shipping costs are.

Grassy

Personally, I have real problems with exclusion. If you want to exclude, post on e-bay or craigs list but not here.

-
Back