windshield wiper removal

-
On my 66 Valiant there is a small tang that holds arm on the shaft and needs to be pulled back to release it from the shaft. I used a right angle pick to release it.

Thanks for the help, I ordered some external springs on Amazon, but they wouldn't fit the dinky classic-style wiper arms. The joint is too close to the mount and there just isn't enough room for the end of the spring, and also too close to the body so would rub, back to square one. I am going to do a trip to O'reillys to see if they can figure out compatibility with trico classic blades for "bayonet" wiper arms, about $15 and appears the longer 15" they carry will clear, you can order a 13" like the original size: Classic Wiper Blade 13" Antique Vintage Styling Silver Finish Trico - 33-130 | eBay, but that doesn't solve the broken spring in the arm issue so will have to pull the arm regardless. But first I have to fix the bad oil leak that suddenly started around the oil filter adapter on the 273 block. Its always something on these old cars.

finally checked and all I could find was one arm and the spring was broke off at the mounting point, looks like it just rusted thru. Sorry no help here.

Thanks for looking, once I get arm off and disassembled will see if I can find a spring somewhere that I can make work. In the mean time I managed to slide the defective wiper arm/blade past the inspector on my state inspection, it does go back and forth with the driver side! Both springs on my '62 Valiant failed about 1979 due to corrosion, on the same rainy trip home. Changed the passenger to driver side and it only lasted a short while. Wound up rigging coat hangars to at least get some touch of blades on windshield and get home. RainX works pretty good, too. Grandfather used glycerin from the local drug store in the very old days. He wished he had remembered that when his Cordoba wipers went out on a trip. You do what you have to! BTW, none of the wiper blade products mentioned earlier will work on this '64 Barracuda. In fact I can't find any commercially available blades or refills that are compatible with the original equipment, save a pair of Amazon refills that are on back-order.

Last edited:
-
Back