Wiper linkage issue 1971 Demon

-

salami340

Reaction score
Hi All, I wasn't sure if this was an interior or exterior technical question so I chose the latter.

When I run my wipers (2 speed) the linkage connecting to the passenger (right) side pivot pops off when the wiper position is at its highest point. See the picture below.
1694492938363.jpeg

It definitely seems like the right wiper is moving too far which is causing the pivot arm to contact the linkage and pop off the plastic bushing. You can see in the picture below the small scratch where the contact is happening.
1694493066246.jpeg

So this leads me to believe that some part of the linkage assembly is incorrect. So far I have verified that the left pivot arm (3431039), right pivot arm (2857934) and the linkage the attaches the right and left pivot (2857937) seems to be correct for a 71 Demon. I haven't been able to identify the motor arm or the drive linkage yet as I haven't had time to remove them. Could this be caused by an incorrect motor arm?

Maybe the little plastic snap cap is just plain worn out? It possibly is 50+ years old by now.
Syleng1

I replaced the plastic bushing thing that hold it together. It just pops out of it when the arm hits the linkage.

Also both wipers go to park position and look good. Issue seems to be the passenger wiper is moving too far up. I'm just confused because the linkage part no. all seem correct.
1694526857850.jpeg

Linkage is all connected in above pic in park position.

1694526914815.png

Above is at the top of movement where the arm hits the linkage and pops the bushing off. Is it possible that the linkage from left to right (2857937) is incorrect?

I will disconnect the motor crank arm later today and report the #. Based on my research it should be #2889966
The drive link is correct #2889966
1694538882227.jpeg

I am at a loss now. Every piece of linkage appears to be correct.. only thing I can think of now is that something could be bent.

Maybe that passenger side link is upside down? Flip it and the clips over and try it that way.

Based on the examples I've seen the orientation of that link is correct (round side facing down).

I ended up using a Dremel tool to grind a bit of metal off on the linkage where the arm was hitting and now it clears and the wipers operate fine. Seems odd that the linkage is all correct and I was having that interference. I'm thinking part of the linkage may have been warped/bent.

Thanks everyone for their help!

-
Back