Wires, What are they?

-

SLTruman

Reaction score
I don't know anything about wires, where they are from and where they are going. The picture shows a few wires that need to be attached somewhere, yet I have no clue as to what to do with them.
They are on the drivers side of the firewall.
Do they connect to a switch?
Do they have something to do with the starter?
Is there a box that they connect to?
I can't start the car until they are connected.
I do not know how to read wiring diagrams so they are useless to me.
Can someone help me!!
Thank you,
Sara

IM002729_edited.jpg

I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for your car, if you know where there's one on the net post a link and I can try to figure out what those are

thank gryzynx.
sltruman, can you tell me what the colors are. they look like, from left to right, green, brown, green-brown, black, white-black?

Left to right: green, brown, green-brown, black, gray.
The wires look like they have been cut to attach to something.
If it is the ignition box that they go to, do you know what it looks like so I can get one?
Thanks

BTW, It looks like the starter relay is where the ballast resistor is supposed to be, but I'm basing that on my '73 Dart Sport wiring. I've always seen the starter relay on the driver's side inner fender by the battery. Maybe in '76 they moved it?
Those wires look like they might be the ones that used to go to the 5-pin plug for the electronic ignition module to me.

what exactly is wrong with the car? sometimes there are wires that are loose because they were cut off malfunctioning components. People will leave the old wires hanging loose in the wiring harness even though the wires are no longer needed.
So far the only gray wire showing in the engine compartment is to the oil pressure switch, I haven't found anything yet for a green with red tracer, black and brown are quite common so I'd need to narrow it down some.

Those wires are somehow connected to the starter switch. The car has been started with a screwdriver for awhile.

BTW, It looks like the starter relay is where the ballast resistor is supposed to be, but I'm basing that on my '73 Dart Sport wiring. I've always seen the starter relay on the driver's side inner fender by the battery. Maybe in '76 they moved it?
Those wires look like they might be the ones that used to go to the 5-pin plug for the electronic ignition module to me.
The starter relay has always been in the same spot. I got the car when it had a slant-six a few years ago.
There has been several 'hands' under the hood and I really don't know what's been done but the obvious.

Don't listen to these dolts! That's where the Flux Capacitor wires up.

didn't the mid 70's cars have a safety/seatbelt interlock circuit that interrupts the crank circuit ?? :read2: but also check the neutral safety circuit :} but to eliminate the screwdriver thing,take that wire on the starter relay attaching bolt and connect it to the brown wire on the starter relay.That bypasses the neutral safety circuit and it should crank at the key. . . . . . .the wires in the picture that you posted do look like ignition module wires,what type of ignition are you using ???

I know that the 75 Dusters had the safety/seatbelt interlock(mine used to decide to work only when it was damp out and I would have to get under the hood and use a nail to poke the button on the interlock). It seems like it was either located on the firewall just above the steering cloumn or the drivers side fender towards the back. I ended up making extension wires and mounting it under the steering column so when it decided to work I could just push it from the drivers seat.

didn't the mid 70's cars have a safety/seatbelt interlock circuit that interrupts the crank circuit ?? :read2: but also check the neutral safety circuit :} but to eliminate the screwdriver thing,take that wire on the starter relay attaching bolt and connect it to the brown wire on the starter relay.That bypasses the neutral safety circuit and it should crank at the key. . . . . . .the wires in the picture that you posted do look like ignition module wires,what type of ignition are you using ???
My ignition is the old points. It was a mallory(spelling), but the crazy thing was way too high for the firewall and engine. No clearance. Anyway, like I said, I am way too dumb for all of the wiring stuff. I put a picture up so you can see what I did, car didn't start. I don't even know if I did what you said. I have to have my nose rubbed in it in order for me to get it. So, with that said, I took the green wire from the hex-head bolt on the firewall and screwed it down with the big brown wire(it looks like it goes to the battery).
What is the neutral safety circut, what does it look like and where is it?
The reason I'm asking all of this, the guy that was working on the car has not returned and he is the mopar man. Me, I can recover seats and hook up a radio, but when it comes to under the hood I have no clue. I am stuck with trying to get this car on the road and I could use as much help as all of you can give.
Thank you

IM002730_edited.jpg

-
Back