WIW?? 340 4 speed duster. need some honest opinions from you guys.

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
ok so a guy calls me last night saying he is getting rid of a 340 4 speed 70 duster. says it rough but its numbers matching 340/4 speed with 3.23 sure grip.. says again its rough..

so i look at it today.. guy bought the car in the 80's. used it around the farm for years. didn't take any pictures because he wouldn't let me..

heres what i saw...

no title

340 is missing the intake and carb pulled it for another motor years ago. says the car ran and drove when he parked it to pull the intake and carb. seems to be locked up.. clean looking valley and under the valve covers though..

other then the the intake carb, stock valve covers (has some cool cal customs in the trunk) and air cleaner the 340 is all there. even has the original manifolds on it..

a/c car.

rally dash. not sure if any of it works though..

4 speed all there and still bolted in. shifter shift knob.... everything....

rear is all there 8 3/4 3.23 sre grip..

front small bolt disc brakes.. all there

stock k-frame with washer welded to front, sway bar... everything like it was driver there and just parked..

body is shot... trunk floors, passenger compartment floors, cowl, inner fenderwells rockers,front clip, just about all the metal is rusty as hell.. all needs to be replaced. says the frame rails are solid but i wasn't crawling under there to look..

i'm looking at it as a parts car.. be damn nice to use that complete 4 speed set up in jamies dart.. also the 3.23 sure grip in her car too..

any idea what this thing is worth? he is asking $2500. i might be able to get it for a little less but i don't think he will move much.. i'm trying think what kind of money is sitting there in parts.. i think i can see 2k easily but if i keep some stuff that figure may go down..lol

hard to say. Bucket or bench seat? BIG difference there.

I agree it's got at least 2K in easy parts to sell. You will likely get more than that if the rally dash is in good shape and radio hole uncut and it has buckets.

Hes right about retail at $2500, but if you sold every piece of it, I believe you could make your money back and keep the stuff you want! It would help if it had Rallyes or the original 14x5.5" steelies on it! It would really help if it had the twin scoops with the bezels too!! Every little bit helps here!!

I would offer $1800, but take $2200 with you, and be all in there!!

$2500 isn't bad. is it too far gone top fix? You can obtain a missing title.

i'm sure someone could fix it but you would be 50k into a 30k car. i think even the roof skin needed to be replaced. i know every panel and rockers needed replacement plus all the floors, cowl and fenderwells..

Hes right about retail at $2500, but if you sold every piece of it, I believe you could make your money back and keep the stuff you want! It would help if it had Rallyes or the original 14x5.5" steelies on it! It would really help if it had the twin scoops with the bezels too!! Every little bit helps here!!

I would offer $1800, but take $2200 with you, and be all in there!!

think he has 3 of the 4 rally wheels. i know i saw on on the car. didn't really pay attention to them though.

i was thinking if i could get it for 1800 it would be fair. problem is i'm not sure what the hell i'd sell off of it.. i know i'd want to keep a lot of the stuff for when that next abody finds me..

i know i will never us small bolt stuff so the small bolt discs would go. and other odds and ends but things like the motor, trans, rear, k-frame i'd want to hold on to..

only a flat hood.. did the 70 duster have a scoop option?

hard to say. Bucket or bench seat? BIG difference there.

I agree it's got at least 2K in easy parts to sell. You will likely get more than that if the rally dash is in good shape and radio hole uncut and it has buckets.

not sure.. it has what looks like ford buckets in it now so i assume it must have had a bench in it at one time. no fender tag either..

Honestly Joe..if you want it it's worth it, but if you're not out to fix it, fucked is fucked. How much are you gonna make on core parts?
If it's a parts car only offer $1500 or let it go.

Honestly Joe..if you want it it's worth it, but if you're not out to fix it, fucked is fucked. How much are you gonna make on core parts?
If it's a parts car only offer $1500 or let it go.

yea not sure... its not every day one drops in your lap so it has me wound up..lol..

i'm figuring right off the bat i'd use in jamies car:

complete 4 speed set up.
steering column.
k-frame and motor mounts
3.23 sure grip center section.

that leaves at the very least that i could sell.
the 340 if i could break it loose. (probably keep that around unless i needed the cash)
340 exhaust manifolds/
8 3/4 rear. complete with maybe a 2.94 open center. would only sell that if i needed the cash.
front disc brakes
rally cluster/dash
whatever odds and ends off it that are still good..

yea not sure... its not every day one drops in your lap so it has me wound up..lol..

i'm figuring right off the bat i'd use in jamies car:

complete 4 speed set up.
steering column.
k-frame and motor mounts
3.23 sure grip center section.

that leaves at the very least that i could sell.
the 340 if i could break it loose. (probably keep that around unless i needed the cash)
340 exhaust manifolds/
8 3/4 rear. complete with maybe a 2.94 open center. would only sell that if i needed the cash.
front disc brakes
rally cluster/dash
whatever odds and ends off it that are still good..

So in the end it's not a cash cow, but an affordable parts source? To be fair, I've seen 4 speed set ups go for stupid money. I say go for it, but set your price and stick to it. You know as well as anyone what this stuff will bring. My factory disc setup saved me core charges, nothing more...had I been eqipped to R and R...but most people aren't. Yes the ralley dash might be a good score, but ralley wheels aren't going to make you rich, either.

i didn't think so,.,

I didn't allude to whether it came with scoops originally or not, only that if it had a pair that would help!! Lots of guys add stuff along the way, like steering wheels and such!!

I think that even with all of the items you want to keep, you would still come real close to making your money back and getting your stuff for next to nothing! Things like the dual exhaust bracket for the passenger side, taillights, heck, the entire tail panel if it's any good, motor mounts, door panels, pop out windows, drip rail and window trim....all those $50 items add up quick when coupled with a $600 rear end, a $500 dash, $400 manifolds, $200 rallyes, $200 small bolt brakes....etc etc!!! And that's not to mention the core able parts like power steering pumps and boxes, hood hinges, heater box, bumpers and the like!! Then get down to the $20 items, which would just keep selling long after the car is gone!!

Now, where is this car again???....:)

no title and you can't take pictures = red flag
If you have the vin have it checked before you make an offer.

Guy is ok. He is a friend of a friend. Has had the car since the 80's. He has other stuff around and doesn't want people to see. Private guy. I've talked to him numerous times over the years. He has a sweet original paint butterscotch 71 340 4 speed demon that he bought in high school.

Not looking to get rich off the car. Would like to lessen the cost if possible as much as possible by selling stuff I won't use though.

That's good. Why not offer what it takes to buy the parts you would like for your other car and see what happens.

are there any local buyers for those big parts.
your not goin to go through the hassle of shipping them.
an a body 8 3/4 wont bring 600.00
I sat on 3 of them for a year.
finally sold one for 300.00 drum to srum.

You can always do a "Re-body" that Depends on peoples Morals i guess.

What is the original Color? Out of Curiosity

are there any local buyers for those big parts.
your not goin to go through the hassle of shipping them.
an a body 8 3/4 wont bring 600.00
I sat on 3 of them for a year.
finally sold one for 300.00 drum to srum.

Last 8 3/4 Abody I had sold for 500 in about 10 minutes. That guy flaked out and backed out and I sold it for 600 in about two days. Never even offered me cent less. If you can't get over 300 for one you are doing something wrong. Hell just a housing is going for almost 300 around here.

Last edited:
You can always do a "Re-body" that Depends on peoples Morals i guess.

What is the original Color? Out of Curiosity

Yellow black top. No fender tag. Not sure about a build sheet. I wouldn't rebody it. I'd hang the vin tag on my desk next to the purple 340 4 speed dusters vin tag that I parted 20 years ago. Lol

024222DB-71D5-4325-AD17-CC383A7F6249.jpg

Last edited:
Last 8 3/4 Abody I had sold for 500 in about 10 minutes. That guy flaked out and backed out and I sold it for 600 in about two days. Never even offered me cent less. If you can't get over 300 for one you are doing something wrong. Hell just a housing is going for almost 300 around here.

I can sell em all day for $600, and going to large shows like the Nats will yield you a sure sale on them at that price!

i'm sure someone could fix it but you would be 50k into a 30k car. i think even the roof skin needed to be replaced. i know every panel and rockers needed replacement plus all the floors, cowl and fenderwells..
Joe, how do you figure it would cost $50K or $30K or even $20K?

Couldn't you do much of the work yourself?
I not looking to argue, just want your perspective and where you think that much $ is in the restoration.

just a guesstimate. i don't think its out of the question having 30+k into that thing easily to get it right. the body id bad.

sounds like a parts car that will yield lots of parts you need and plenty for resale if that is how you want to spend your time. doubt the engine will ever come loss!? buy it for price you are comfortable with and the seller will accept??

restore? why people want to attempt to r estore an obviously rusted out POS I never know. spend a few more $$ on a decent project and be many $1000 ahead, IMO

-
Back