worst motors of all time

-
How abouth the Plymouth Cricket ? Don't see many of them running around.Life span was about 6 months to 2 years max. Still, I would like to have one just because it said "Plymouth" on it.

How abouth the Plymouth Cricket ? Don't see many of them running around.Life span was about 6 months to 2 years max. Still, I would like to have one just because it said "Plymouth" on it.

Don't bother they were horrible. Nameplate was only thing that was Plymouth. Think British Leyland.

How about the GM/Caddy 4-6-8 V8's. I think those engines had a life expectancy of about an hour.
Great idea, terrible execution

GM introduced a 6 cylinder version of the Northstar in 1999. I had one in an Oldsmobile. Within 20,000 miles it was eating a quart of oil every 2500.

what was up with this motor? Sludge, no oil changes from owners? I see many in pick-a-part and all are crusty inside. most missing front cover..no PCV?

I'm not a mechanic, but i do have an 02 Sebring Convertible with a 2.7l. They seem to have two problems that lead to engine failure. A weak waterpump, that leads to internal leakage of coolant into the crankcase, hence the sludge. There is a plastic part that sits over the thermostat, that diverts coolant, for quicker warm-ups, that crack with no warning. Ask me how I know! Other than that, they work great.

Late 70s early 80s Honda 4 cyl wiped out cam bearings, my 1.5L Civic lasted almost 20,000 miles due to poor oil distribution & poor metal.
The recent Toyotas V6 engines that sludge up should be included too.
I also thought of the 4-6-8 GM engines.

If you've seen the Cars 2 movie the "worst" engine ever mentioned in the Aluminum V8 that GM sold the tooling to the British and was used in Land Rovers and Triumph Tr8s. Well that engine was the base for the Formula 1 engine used by Jack Brabham to win the world championship in '66 and the next year by his team mate Denny Hulme.

Over the years I've been stuck with "turkeys".

My first was a '67 Dodge Monaco 500 2dr H/T that I bought used for the wife to drive. It had a 318 poly that didn't like to get wet. I tried everything to prevent it from stalling when she drove through puddles or a rain storm. I finally sold the car out of frustration.

My second was a '84 Olds Toronado 350 Diesel that my buddy (who owned the GM dealership) talked me into. I'm glad it had a good warranty because the GM dealer had it more than I did. After two years of hell I begged him to take it back and they finally relented.

My third and forth lemons were a '05 Lincoln LS V6 (mine) and a '06 Lincoln LS V6. (wife's) These cars were living nightmares. I cannot begin to tell you how bad these two POS were. The Ford Service Group gave me the usual lip service and nothing ever was resolved. Finally I traded my '05 LS in on an '09 MKS (in late '08 and the problems continued. My wife traded hers in on a '09 RAM and never looked back.

My 5th lemon or turkey was the Lincoln MKS. That car was pure crap. I made a vow never to buy another Ford product as long as I lived.

My DD driver today is a 2013 GM product and it's been problem free so far.

:glasses7:

Tech 4 AKA Pontiac iron duke 2.5 was a great engine. I owned a Sunbird for 3 years with that engine, 200K on the clock. I never changed the oil, beat the living crap out of that car, best off road vehicle I ever owned. -20 degrees outside? no problem, she'd fire right up. I traded the car for a torquer 340 intake, I got robbed!

Hows about a Pontiac 301 with it's 3 main bearings, or a buick 231 with its non existent oil pressure?

The 2.5 R or U code (iron duke) engines were some of the best GM ever produced. I worked at a GM dealer in their heyday and they were long lasting little buggers. Headbolt breakage was the only major problem. I owned a 82 Skylark and sold it to my brother-in law with 230,000 on the clock. He drove it to 260+ and sold it to someone else.

The early 231's were not good. Buick borrowed the aluminum timing cover/oil pump housing design from their v-8's at the time. (bad design) After some miles the oil pump would wear and low oil pressure at idle. Buick had a oil pressure sender that would turn the idiot light on at 0#. The stock sender was a 5# switch. That was their fix! LOL The computer/carb. engines were pure garbage. In Late 1985 the figured out how to make injection work and that changed the 231 for the better. A few years after that they put a gearoter type oil pump on the crank snout and turned it into one of the most dependable engines GM has ever produced. I lived through the transformation. We had many customer cars with 200,000+ on the clock.

GM introduced a 6 cylinder version of the Northstar in 1999. I had one in an Oldsmobile. Within 20,000 miles it was eating a quart of oil every 2500.
A quart every 2500 is very normal oil usage. A quart/750 is considered excessive.

Late 70s Oldsmobile 260 inch diesel V8 optional in the G body cutlass, when fitted you might as well call it a gutless

22 seconds to cover a quarter mile from a standing start. **** you could check its quarter mile time with a sun dial LOL.

How bout anything from British Leyland? Lucas had to be the worst electrical manufacturer...

Nah...if you did any preventative maintenance, it was a solid runner. Drove mine for multiple winters. No electrical problems but the heater didn't work really well in the Canadian cold. ...which really didn't matter much because I always drive with the window open...better to hear the exhaust note..

the only problem I even had with it was when I let another mechanic work on it because I didn't have the time. Mistake. They were never ment to be driven like jap cars and only do occasional oil changes..

Chevettes. Motors worked but that was about all. It's role was taken over by he Neon. Wonder what the next colossal lemon will be...

I've had a few Fiats and British cars, and once I undid all of the "fixes" the previous owner did they were fine.

BUT the worst piece of shiz I ever owned was the 85 Ford Tempo my wife was driving when we got married. It cost me a fair bit of money to get rid of it, and that ranks as one of the best investments I've ever made.

I had a buddy with a Geo 3cyl. Nothing but problems

This is odd. I keep hearing bad things about the 3 cyl. My uncle has one with 500k running great. Simple engines. Another friend put over a million miles on his Metro, went through 3 engines, delivering for Pizza Hut. He figured out how to do a long block swap in 4 hours without a hoist and got it down to do on his day off.

These are the throttle body injected 1.3L engines. I don't know if they had two different 3 cyl engines or what the fluke may have been, but I know the early Metro/ Suzuki Swifts got good engines when they were set up and maintained right. Super easy to work on. There is practically nothing under those hoods.

Caddy Northstar Starter R&R

100k spark plug change for a reason. When these came out, I decided that I would never own a FWD, in fear of "due maintenance interval component set changes", like having to replace a good water pump or distributor, when doing a timing belt, because they decided to run it off the shared cog belt. Bunch of dealer money grubbing BS. Engineering wallet gouging. Brilliant.

don't you guys remember the 350 chev diesel conversion engine of the early 80s what a piece of **** .

Not a GM guy but heard those diesel 350 bottom ends were bullet proof for building a gas motor!!!

Yes! Absolutely the worst idea for the adaptation of the Olds engine to Chevy, used as a diesel, they are as worthless as the big Ford diesels, BUT... the lower ends were strengthened and do make fantastic short blocks for hotrodding and can usually be had for nothing, because people hate them for their Diesel characteristics.

2.8- V6 Chevy and GM in the s-10 trucks and Blazers. Bad about the block cracking in the cam valley. JUNK!!!

They put those in Jeeps too. I don't know what the hell they were thinking, outfitting those engines in trucks. They do not have enough power. With that being said, and aside from some quality control issues, they can serve long lives in the right vehicle.

Chevettes. Motors worked but that was about all. It's role was taken over by he Neon. Wonder what the next colossal lemon will be...

They were a shared drivetrain between Toyota and GM, like the '80s Novas. Good drivetrains, the cars though...

And the Neon... Tried 2.2/2.4 BOTCHED. If you want a car to overheat, buy a Neon. The radiators and thermostats, as well as the plumbing systems are completely insufficient.

My least favorite engine, at the moment; GM 3100 3.1L V6.

Contrary to the 3.8, which is a fantastic engine, this piece of crap is infamous for warping cylinder heads, has an externally plumbed water pump that buries everything and they are notorious for harmonic balancer/ serpentine pulleys coming apart and shred belts.

The cars they stuff them into, namely W body GM cars (Lumina, Monte, Grand Prix, etc.)

I replaced the battery in the hand me down we're giving to Amy's brother. I counted 24 pieces of hardware, brackets, parts and 4 bulkheads I had to remove, including the washer bottle that has the pump grommeted near the bottom and leaks everywhere (no choice), to get to the battery.

Before my friend bought his A-108 last summer, he had a '98 Grand Prix with the same engine. It's coolant overflow bottle or system had a leak that we couldn't find and it would eat antifreeze. Did a leakdown check, we sealed the engine, after replacing the heads, thermostat and everything else, due to warped heads. It was after/ outside of the radiator cap. I spent over $350 last month, fixing mundane crap on the Lumina. Battery was rubbing on the apron, burned a hole in the side, left Amy stranded at school one day.

I cannot get away from those stupid engines fast enough. I'll be so glad to give that car away this month.

All I can say about a Vega is my wife had one when we got marrried. Less than a year old it started to rust. The motor seemed to run fine( chirp the tires in third gear ) lol. Nobody wanted it, couldn't sell it. The local Chrysler dealer only allowed $1000 for trade- in on a 70 AAR with only 7000 miles on the clock. Goodbye Vega, hello MOPAR!

Of course, here in the business, back in the 80's the line was Just Say No To Renault.

Ding,Ding,Ding,Ding,...We have a winner, I was the happiest Dealer mechanic when Chrysler bought out/got out from under these rolling roadblocks calles Renault...The joke at Mansfield Massachusetts training center was the rear pond by the back entrance was brown cause that's where all of the "buy back" Renaults were dumped....And who wishes they could forget those horrible Premier/Monaco's....

How about any interference motor ever made that had a timing belt? Especially ones with the timing belt driven water pump.

nothing wrong with the 2000+ neon, I have one now with over 300,000 on it, works perfect

only thing is they need an aftermarket trans cooler infront of the rad, but thats not a big deal

one of the last chrysler cars built with cheap to buy parts, thats easy to work on if need be, and I rarely open the hood except oil changes

I think the aluminum block Vega has got to win this one. My Uncle and his son, my cus bought both cars new and went thru 5 engines between the 2 of them covered under warranty within the first year... nuff said!!! that being said, I went to Speed "O"Rama in Toronto same year and saw a Vega wagon with a jet engine in it. ( no room for the driver ) but don't stand behind it when she lit up, ha ha... was a very cool looking car

man I love this thread! I had 2 71 Honda AN600's sedan and a coupe at the same time just so I could keep 1 running. Air cooled 2 cylinder, bicycle chain timing with a hydro tensioner. Lose oil pressure or just start it wrong and the chain would whip and it would jump time, got to repair it in under 15 minutes with a 10mm and a 17mm wrench If it were not for these as my first car(s), I probably would not be a gearhead today as I learned to repair cars FAST with these getting me to school, them or my 10-speed..not cool. Ran it for 4 months without a starter as it, I push started it! I think the thing weighed 1100 lbs and I could lift the rear up and swing it into a parallel parking spot just by nosing it in. (My buddies put it on my front doorstep one night for kicks)
My 96 Breeze blew 2 head gaskets before Chrysler advised me there was a redesigned head gasket and paid 1/2 of the final one's labor way outside of the warranty, still in there.

And I gotta agree on interference motors with timing belts, and transverse motors that have the mount inside the belt/chain path or buried integral water pumps. Love old no smog L6/V8's-everything is in front.

My dad commuted long distance in a Chevy Vega. He kept a 55 gallon drum of Quaker State 20W50 in the garage.

An inline six timing chain mill always puts a smile on my face. I have more cars with them, than I do V8 engines.

An inline six timing chain mill always puts a smile on my face. I have more cars with them, than I do V8 engines.

Isuzu 1.6 inline 4's.....they mill the timing covers too when the chain tensioner sh!ts itself, and it goes through a water passage too.....so you get creamy oil.

-
Back