Worth rebuilding?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've got a super six carter carb that was layin in a trunk for a few years and the shafts were stuck. I sprayed some wollyworld brand lubricant on it n the shafts let loose. Anywho, I was just wondering if these carbs are worth rebuilding... I'd like to rebuild it simply to learn more about carbs n how they work but if the carb ain't that great is it worth messing with it?View attachment image.jpg

a rebuild kit cant cost too much. i say go for it. if anything it may help you understand how it works.

No they ain't that much.... But between recently buying a house, getting married and having 3 other projects going even $20-30 seems like a lot! Lol

True :glasses7: let's see if I can talk my wife into givin up the kitchen table or bar for that :D :wack: LOL

I got one JUST like it right now in the same shape I am working loose. It will be to your benefit to remove the base plate and take it and have it bead blasted. I am going to do that with mine and even remove the throttle plates and shaft and lightly go over the shaft with emery cloth and mineral spirits and do the same with the shaft bores. Crossing my fingers the base plate will not need bushings. But if it does, no biggie.

I read somewhere (cant find it now) that the super six BBD has Teflon coated shafts, you might want to use a scotchbrite pad to clean the shafts.

I'll add the slanty guys like those carbs so it might also have some value if you can test it on a running engine. I always use straight laquer thinner or acetone - but beware it will eat off the zink dichromate coating...

-
Back