Worth the trouble?

-
Not worth the trouble. Was in the same boat a while back. Swapped cam, intake, heads, carb. Wish I would have just wated and built the bottom end while I had it apart. If you do anything I would buy parts that will work with the combo you can't afford at the moment (carb, intake, converter). $Save$ for the total package.

thats what ive been thinking for a long time. just cruise it around town until i save to swap the whole drivetrain for the 440. and build the 440 right the first time. cutting corners when i was in highschool is really coming back to haunt me.

im still keeping all options open. if it werent for sucha great group of guys on the best forum on the web i would be totally lost. thanks guys

I say no, just get with Hughes and get yourself a cam thatll work with what you have. New pistons is a new balance (if not stock weight) and the 360 stuff is all balanced together. That price and pistons, gaskets, yadda yadda. Might as well get a running stock 440 and drop in more than what you have. JMHO. Hope you reach what your looking for however you arrive at it. :)

i already got a running 440 and a 727 dirt cheap. its out of a 73 winnebago but i want to build it before i drop it in.

The motorhome 440 suffers from the same problems you already have which is no compression .060 down in the hole pistons so If you decide to build the 440 you will have the same concerns as now. Did you ever think about picking up an old 360 somewhere(about $50) and getting some pistons for it$225-$400) and having someone balance the shortblock(probably $200 counting mallory metal) and then just do a weekend swap and stick it back together.

the motor home 440 suffers from to heavy a tank to push around...lol

not that the compression is ideal, it's not...but think about the diff in weight between a motorhome and an 3000lb a body. ha ha

damn dude, regrind the crank on the 360 magnum get a cam and intake and use it. it'll go faster easier and the compressions already better than what you have now....

I bet you'd go faster with a 5.5:1 flat head.

-
Back