Would you run these axles?

-
FWIW a good friend of mine back in the 70's used an A body 8.75 under his 55 Chevy... But he wanted the GM 5x4.75 bolt pattern... It was gonna be right at the edge of the axle.... He cut rings out of 3/8" steel plate & welded them to the A body axle flanges... Welded up the stock holes... Drilled his GM pattern with a hand held drill... He ran those axles throught the 70's, 80's, 90's & into the early 2000's... Around 2004 he decided he should upgrade.... The axles never failed... Never twisted...

He had twisted the stock 55 axles many times, got to the point he was painting a stripe on them so he could have an obvious clue... He said they wouldn't break till they were twisted more than 90 degrees... After the stock axle he put a twelve bolt in the car & broke the side gears three times....

He was married, had young kids, money was tight.. And he had an A body 8.75 laying out behind his garage... It made a Mopar believer outta him...

That ol' 55 had many different engines (mostly big blocks) & trannies (a few Muncies but mostly T400's) But only that one 8.75 axle for many many years....

Not unless they're T356 aircraft aluminum or better
From the seller...

VMS Racing lug nuts are manufactured of Aircraft Quality A7075-T6 Forged Aluminum. These lug nuts are extremely strong and lightweight. Each lug nut weighs Approximately .08 ounce compared to the average weight of a regular lug nut of 2 or 3 ounces .

VMS Racing lug nuts are HARD ANODIZED in different colors for a long lasting finish and durability.

NOTE: VMS Racing lug nuts can not be compared with most cheap Chinese imported lug nuts sold all over eBay, most of those lug nuts are made of cheap quality aluminum and steel and are painted and not hard anodized. Please compare apples to apples before purchasing.

VERY IMPORTANT READ: VMS Racing lug nuts are made of the highest quality FORGED aluminum, but they are still aluminum. These lug nuts have to be threaded in by hand and tightened to no more than 60 FT/LBS of torque. The studs should also be greased during the installation. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD THE LUG NUTS BE INSTALLED OR REMOVED WITH AN IMPACT WRENCH OR TIGHTENED TO OVER 60 FT/LBS OF TORQUE, DOING SO WILL DESTROY THE LUG NUTS AND VOID THE WARRANTY!!

Like I said IF they turn out to be inferior I will just return them and move on to something else. I figured they are worth a shot.

From the seller...

VMS Racing lug nuts are manufactured of Aircraft Quality A7075-T6 Forged Aluminum. These lug nuts are extremely strong and lightweight. Each lug nut weighs Approximately .08 ounce compared to the average weight of a regular lug nut of 2 or 3 ounces .

VMS Racing lug nuts are HARD ANODIZED in different colors for a long lasting finish and durability.

NOTE: VMS Racing lug nuts can not be compared with most cheap Chinese imported lug nuts sold all over eBay, most of those lug nuts are made of cheap quality aluminum and steel and are painted and not hard anodized. Please compare apples to apples before purchasing.

VERY IMPORTANT READ: VMS Racing lug nuts are made of the highest quality FORGED aluminum, but they are still aluminum. These lug nuts have to be threaded in by hand and tightened to no more than 60 FT/LBS of torque. The studs should also be greased during the installation. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD THE LUG NUTS BE INSTALLED OR REMOVED WITH AN IMPACT WRENCH OR TIGHTENED TO OVER 60 FT/LBS OF TORQUE, DOING SO WILL DESTROY THE LUG NUTS AND VOID THE WARRANTY!!

Like I said IF they turn out to be inferior I will just return them and move on to something else. I figured they are worth a shot.
What are you going to do with the empty stud, wheel locks?
Zero point Zero eight ounces, huh? Thats 2.2 grams. WAY less than a teaspoon of sugar, about one one- hundredth of a piston pin

Last edited:
What are you going to do with the empty stud, wheel locks?
Zero point Zero eight ounces, huh? Thats 2.2 grams. WAY less than a teaspoon of sugar, about one one- hundredth of a piston pin
Not sure what you mean by the empty stud? I will be using these lug nuts on the rear of the car only. The fronts will be unchanged from their current configuration. I will use 10 and have a few left overs. As for the weight, I think they got the decimal place off. Maybe .8 NOT .08 But who knows.

Yes would run these:

20221207_235623.jpg

20221207_235717.jpg

20221207_235727.jpg

Not sure what you mean by the empty stud? I will be using these lug nuts on the rear of the car only. The fronts will be unchanged from their current configuration. I will use 10 and have a few left overs. As for the weight, I think they got the decimal place off. Maybe .8 NOT .08 But who knows.
Set of 16. I assumed all the way around. You know what happens when you assume.
And I was trying to make a funny about the weight. They've obviously got the spec wrong.

Of all the aftermarket axles mentioned, do any of them use the more desired Set 7 bearings? I don't need any speeches about greens being better. Chrysler engineers knew better than the GM engineers and used the tapered rollers for strength and durability.

-
Back