WOW! Destruction

-

Lakeeffect

Drive Fast , Take Chances
Reaction score
TKO600 swap, Hot 340 and i run her hard but this?! Everyone i have shown has never seen a pressure plate do this.
Everything else is great looking. 10 puck ceramic disk and MP flywheel,throw out bearing is great looking too.

Attachments

• IMG_0248.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 520
Damn!! You might want to look into some type of shield for just in case.

Well Quick Time housing. No damage at all to it . It just fell apart when I took it apart.

Sounds good with the quick time. Time for an upgrade to the clutch.

Right, but what the heck?! Thats not normal. Aren't you running a tko? Thaught I recall seeing that ? I know you got a mean stroker.

You got the wrong guy on that one lol. I run a stock stroke 340 and an auto tranny.
That said I've had good luck with center force clutches

I assume that is GM stuff? Is it an original pressure plate? Centerforce is good stuff, I run it behind my 400 horse 340 and works great!

Yikes! Unscheduled clutch dis-assembly. LOL Heat from use (abuse) causes cracks and rpm will make those cracks open up and come apart. tmm

You may have to change to a Long style clutch or something that has counterweights for more grip with rpm.

Almost looks like the PP to flwheel bolts came loose, they are pretty egg shaped.

Almost looks like the PP to flwheel bolts came loose, they are pretty egg shaped.

34j6sfl.jpg

Good Gauwad, couldn't you feel the vibration beforehand? I'd SAY

Well, it happens, in my lifetime, I've probably been witness to at least 10 clutch explosions.

My first was at the old Spokane (Deer Park) dragstrip around 1966-7. It was a cold day, and we'd retreated to my car to warm up, parked up against the spectator fence. "Ron's Drive In" blew a clutch right in front of my car, and many seconds later, an big piece of pressure plate came down between my car and a pink Caddie!! parked next to us, and put about a 2 foot scrape in the rear quarter panel of the Cad. We found the about 3" long piece smokin' in the grass.

This was the "end of an era" for the old cast "scattershields," Ansen, I think. It had wiped the rear of the block clean, and dropped the bell and gearbox down. The clutch and flywheel was free to do what it would, and it did.

The 292, by the way, means a bored 265/283 Chev Notice the individual header tubes, which I believe were technically illegal. I believe you were supposed to run collector headers, and "gas" was supposed to have a rudimentary exhaust system, if not connected

RonsDriveIn240ChevyGasser-vi.jpg

Yikes! Unscheduled clutch dis-assembly. LOL Heat from use (abuse) causes cracks and rpm will make those cracks open up and come apart. tmm
looks like she got a little hot lol glad you still got all your toes:burnout:

That's the First thing i thought of when i got the Bell Housing off. I only had driven it maybe 1500 miles and one AutoX. I used Permatex blue thread lock and torqued to 35ftlbs, 5 over the MP SB engine book. Also they felt plenty tight during dis-assembly. Could i have screwed up using the bolts that i used? The nut is just so you can see the bend easy. When the Clutch came apart it made it hard to get to the head that's why its chewed up.

I guess you could call it GM junk. I am limited on clutch selection because I need
rounded PP diaphragm ears ( I don't know if that's the correct term) because I am running a RAM hyd throw out bearing with a flat face and a rounded face is not available. Also i don't think a Long style PP would fit because with the Quick-Time bell it's already tight.

Oh and 67dart273.....vibration after the last hard run and then i limped her home. Nothing prior though..... I have seen one of them old Ansen Bell housings...dear god what a heavy beast. Were they actually safe/safer?

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0272.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_0276.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 318
That could have been really bad.
I blew a clutch in my 65 Coronet, it broke the input shaft on the trans and shattered the stock bellhousing.

That pressure plate was slipping and it is really clear that the bolts came loose.
I suggest not re-using the flywheel, it has to be heat cracked from the disk slipping and the threads cannot be any good at this point.

But they also sell bolts like yours too so I guess its a matter of choice. I like the looks of the $9.99 specials personally though.

Give Wayne a call at Brewers on Monday.
He will know what the correct bolt is for your combination.
I don't think the large head fasteners will work with the size pressure plate you are running.
They sell small head with a shank for about $25.00

Thanks Sireland67, sounds like a good plan. Oh i forgot to add i called American Powertrain the people i purchased the clutch from.... they informed me they are no longer dealing with SACHS clutches i wonder why.

-
Back