wow i got lucky on ebay

-
I may be wrong, but it looks like the center section is offset similar to diff from the front of a 4-wheel drive. Could just be the angle of the pictures.

Um you may want to measure that. It looks off set to. Axles I would suggest Dr. Diff if your are going stock A body size he has a great Axle package and accessories to go along with. Contact Crackedback he is very help full. Dr. Diff (Cass) is a heck of a guy to ask questions as well. Are you going to keep it non posi?

hopefully i can get the tubes cut, get 5 x 4.5 lug axles for it, a posi unit / new gears have the perches moved

i'm not sure if i can keep the brake setup or not, since it's off a 1-ton van

You will also need, A body brakes, mopar ends, While your putting in a posi unit might as well put new bearings and such in. Check the spline count probably 30 spline. To cut and weld my tubes, nickel rod the tube to carrier, Change the side gears and clutch hubs to 30 spline, new bearings and set it all back up was $250 just labor. What I ment by measuring that pass side on that is it may be too short for A body that looks like a heavy offset.

Looks like a front diff from a 4wd. The only thing that would be usable is the center of the housing. You will need everything else, gears tubes etc.

I just have to say its definitely not a front diff. No steering knuckles and you can see the parking brake cables.

if its from a 2wd van like you say it should already be 5x4.5 I don't think they changed to 5x5.5 on 2wd vans and trucks til '85 only 4wd's had the 5x5.5 pre 1985

the only thing is you are going to spend a ton getting new axles/getting them cut and getting the axle tube cut as well as new gears I think I would have passed on that one

if its from a 2wd van like you say it should already be 5x4.5 I don't think they changed to 5x5.5 on 2wd vans and trucks til '85 only 4wd's had the 5x5.5 pre 1985

the only thing is you are going to spend a ton getting new axles/getting them cut and getting the axle tube cut as well as new gears I think I would have passed on that one

Isnt this what everyone does?Or should he have waited on a 4.10 locker rear?

Isnt this what everyone does?Or should he have waited on a 4.10 locker rear?

if your up for spending a ton of money to get the axles and gears, then cutting the tubes yeah everyone who has money does it, if your working on a small budget you find a rear that will bolt under that is stout enough to hold power and doesn't need many modifications

Here is a idea of what it takes to do this I just did it myself.

Dana Truck Housing 4.10 gear with Power Loc $40 (local score)
Cut, housing, weld new ends, change internals set up gears $250 and I felt I got a smokin deal.
Rear Brakes $120
Rebuild kit for inside $110
Used moser axles $250 Cut and respline at moser $110
New housing ends $60
Misc, backing plate to housing bolts, vent tube, brake lines new cover $60

About right at $1,000 total. Not bad really and I felt I got some really good deals on some things.

Attachments

• Dana60.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 394
  • dana603.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 456

Says in the auction it's from a 1 ton and is 8 lug

Moparlover I hate to tell ya but you really didn't get a fantastic deal. It's just a housing to build on so $80 is about the most it's worth and I hope it's close to you so it doesn't cost a fortune to haul back.

Looks like he's driving about an hour and a half to pick up a $80 housing. Not too bad.

Truck and van Dana's aren't machined for the bolt on pinion snubber. Not a deal breaker, but something to consider.

i'm gonna have to get axles, housing ends, a posi unit, bearings. i'm pretty sure Dr. Diff will set me up with what i need. i found a fabrication shop that is about 60 miles away, they do this kind of work. so it looks like i will be in good shape. i'm not sure about the pinion snubber part yet. might be a bit of a snafu. once i get the D60 built however, i'm going to sell my 8.75 rear for next to nothing here, pickup only. my car was hacked up pretty bad, has SS springs in the back right now with looooong shackles in the back, and i was told the 8.75 rear was a body size, but is an open diff. the nose is pointing up lol. there is no drive shaft in the car i'm going to have to get one cut.

so i figured if i was having to spend money for a posi unit for the 8.75, and who knows the condition of the ring and pinion, and bearings etc etc i might as well put my money into the D60.

so i have an email into Cass to see what he says, i may even just have them use new axle tubes as well.

Just make sure when shortened the drivers side tube is 1 3/8" longer than pass side to get you mopar pinion offset and you're good.

Even if it's a D60hd, it's just a bit heavier than the std D60. If it is out of a Jeep, I doubt it's a D61.

Doesn't a ready to bolt in Dana 60 from strange or currie cost like 1500/1800, so doing it like this saves you what ?
When you figure in the shipping and p/u and dropping it off and all the other parts you need and p/u again....

Says in the auction it's from a 1 ton and is 8 lug

Moparlover I hate to tell ya but you really didn't get a fantastic deal. It's just a housing to build on so $80 is about the most it's worth and I hope it's close to you so it doesn't cost a fortune to haul back.

thats what I was trying to say, it would be a great deal if you had a d200 or d300 and needed a housing right away but the 8 3/4 would have been a better choice, or a properly sized dana like supershafts meationed, you'll have over $1000 into it real quick

If it's a D-61 he'll have more than that into, i agree it is hard to beat strange and currie at there prices and ease....

If it's a D-61 he'll have more than that into, i agree it is hard to beat strange and currie at there prices and ease....

A ready to ship unit from Moser is about 2,100. Strange is about 1,800-2k. Those dont even enclude shipping yet. You can do it yourself for a considerable amount of money less. Cass does have an axle and bearing package for like $295 which is tough to beat. I know a few guys that have bought axles though him and were happy. I would have bought mine from him as well but he didnt have the ability to get them or make them that short. That and you can build and buy parts as you go instead of paying 1 lump sum. I did mine and I think it came out well for what I got into it. I got mine with a Posi unit so that saved me a little there. Crackedback and Cass are 2 guys I bounced ideas off of. But your builder will be able to help you as well.

-
Back