Wow!! Temps were you are today

-
Real nice today, but rain expected tomorrow in Phoenix and snow in northern Arizona.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 153
40 here today. We got a very mild dusting of snow in the night. Should all be gone a little later today.

Brrrrr! Outside shoveling this morning and its damn cold! When I came in the news says it feels like -26. The far north part of the state is -40. Time for some hot chocolate!

Torrington , CT:
35°F now, prediction is that it will be 50°F by evening.
By Tuesday the high temp will be 18°F! And -5°F by Wednesday night!
Tell me this isn't crazy.

55 deg here and cloudy. Time to give the dog (Gunner) a winter bath. Waiting for the other shoe to drop this week !!

Oh ****! Here it comes.....

Here's a cut and paste from an alert from our local police chief:

The updated NWS forecast indicates the storm is expected to result accumulations (2 TO 5 INCHES) outlying areas accumulations (3 TO 6 INCHES)

Mayor Mahoney reminds residents of the following:
•Use public transportation whenever possible and avoid driving vehicles on slippery roads to keep roadways clear for plowing equipment and emergency vehicles.
•Property owners are reminded to salt and sand sidewalks, stairs and pedestrian ramps to prevent slippery surfaces.
•Residents are encouraged to shovel out hydrants and catch basins near or abutting their property to assist our public safety agencies and protect against flooding.
•Please check on elderly or vulnerable neighbors who may need help.
•Use caution when walking near buildings that may have falling snow or ice.

FORECAST:
WIND CHILL VALUES OF 15 BELOW TO 30 BELOW ZERO WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MIDDAY. PRIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW ARE LIKELY MONDAY NIGHT.

WINDS CHILLS OF 20 TO 35 BELOW ZERO ARE EXPECTED LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING. STRONG WINDS COULD RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY...ESPECIALLY IN OPEN AREAS WHERE VISIBILITIES COULD BE SEVERELY REDUCED.

NOTE* Area Warming Center
Palos Township 8:30am - 4:30pm M - F 10802 S. Roberts Rd. Palos Hills No (708) 598-4418 (708)448-0369 (FD)

Secondary Site: Village of Palos Park Kaptur Center 8999 W 123rd 4:30pm into Tuesday 8:30am

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL
WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL 1147 AM CST MON JAN 5 2015 A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM CST TUESDAY...* TIMING...THIS EVENING THROUGH THE PREDAWN HOURS TUESDAY. ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 5 INCHES. OUTLYING AREA ACCUMULATIONS 3 TO 6 INCHES WITH SOME ISOLATED HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE.

* MAIN IMPACT...UNTREATED ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED RESULTING IN DIFFICULT TRAVEL. VISIBILITY MAY BE REDUCED TO AROUND ONE QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.
* OTHER IMPACTS...THE DRY NATURE OF THE SNOW AND INCREASING WINDS EARLY TUESDAY MAY RESULT IN BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW... PARTICULARLY IN OPEN AREAS...EVEN AFTER SNOWFALL HAS ENDED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOWWILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

Palos Park takes a proactive approach, using best practices to respond to snow and ice: Snow, ice and extreme cold can play havoc with village streets and traffic. In Palos Park, winter can bring heavy rain, high winds, ice and snow. We’re always monitoring conditions.

During a snow storm, village crews work around the clock. Designated neighborhood priority routes are cleared first to accommodate fire, medical and police response, as well as school buses and commuter traffic. If snowfall is continuous, those arterials may require repeated plowing and sanding before crews can work to clear neighborhood streets.

Driving on Ice and Snow:
*Ice and snow, combined with Palos Park’s steep hills, can make for hazardous driving conditions. The Villages campaign, "Ice and Snow, Take it Slow," to raise awareness about winter driving. The campaign reminds drivers of safe driving tactics in winter conditions, including slower speeds, slower acceleration, slower steering and slower braking.
*Check conditions: When you see snow or ice forecast, plan ahead. Talk to your employer, local school or day-care center. How will they provide you information? The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) offers reports on highway conditions with online Statewide Traveler Information. If conditions appear hazardous, don't leave home unless you have to.
*Extra time: Give yourself extra time. It's not worth putting yourself and others in a dangerous situation just to be on time.
*Before leaving home: Pack winter safety equipment and a breakdown kit in your vehicle. Prepare your vehicle by packing a shovel, flashlight, blankets and chains or cables for the tires along with a breakdown kit (winter driving checklist).
*Driving tips: The faster you're going, the longer it will take to stop. When accelerating on snow or ice, take it slow to avoid slipping. When braking, do so slowly and never slam the brakes. If you have anti-lock brakes, press on the pedal down firmly and hold it. If you don't have anti-lock brakes, gently pump the pedal. Either way, give yourself plenty of room to stop.
*Black ice: Roads that seem dry or just wet may actually be slippery with black ice. Take it slow when approaching intersections, off-ramps, bridges or shady areas; all are hot spots for black ice.
*Snowplows: Give snowplows room to work. The plows are wide and can cross the centerline or shoulder. Do not tailgate and try not to pass. If you must pass, take extreme caution and beware of the snow cloud.

Joe Miller
Chief of Police

View attachment Ralphie A.jpg

3 in of snow here overnight. Had to take the Wife to work in the Beater Jeep Comanche this morning. 30 deg here today and supposed to get colder for the next few days. 20's I think. I realize that a lot of you would like those temps.

I like hearing from the Canadians... It makes me feel warm....

You guys keep posting up, I'm going to change into my speedo.....

Looking back at post #160. I just threw that random picture up that I found on the internet....

I had no idea that it would turn out to be an accurate forecast for around here right now.... LOL!

A fiery multi-vehicle pileup on snowy roads that involved 193 vehicles brought Interstate 94 near Battle Creek, Michigan, to a screeching halt in both directions Friday, killing at least one person and injuring a number of others.

As of Saturday evening, both sides of I-94 are still closed. Frozen equipment is stalling the effort to reopen the interstate, the Associated Press reports. The problematic equipment was being used to remove acid from a tanker truck. "The valve on the pump froze ... We're not in a position to say when I-94 will reopen," First Lt. James Coleman of the Michigan State Police told the Kalamazoo Gazette.

The accident happened at mile marker 90 between the Galesburg and Climax exits just after 10 a.m. ET.

Numbers for the vehicles in the pileup were varied on Friday because of the chaotic situation and confusing conditions.

Michigan State Police now say 193 vehicles were involved, including dozens of semi-trucks. Lt. David Wood says that around 50 vehicles remain on the roadway as of Saturday morning.

MSP reports at least one semi was carrying fireworks. They also classified it as a “hazardous material situation" because of another truck carrying formic acid, which is mainly used as a preservative.

The fireworks caught fire after the crash and many went off, piercing the air with explosive cracks. Two firefighters were taken to a hospital for evaluation after sustaining injuries from the explosions, the Battle Creek Enquirer reported.

After the crash, police asked that anyone within a 3-mile radius evacuate.

Although investigators haven’t said what might have caused the crash, the weather at the time of the wreck was terrible. According to weather.com meteorologist Linda Lam, temperatures sat at 16 degrees with gusty winds to make it feel like 0 outdoors. Snow was falling at the time.

At least one person was killed in the pileup. The victim was identified as 57-year-old truck driver Jean Larocque from Saint-Chrysostome, Quebec.

22 people were treated for injuries at area hospitals, the Battle Creek Enquirer said.

Miles away from the crash site, smoke was visible:

You gotta see this video...

http://www.weather.com/news/news/interstate-94-michigan-pileup

http://www.weather.com/news/news/i94-michigan-fireworks-explode-pileup

A fiery multi-vehicle pileup on snowy roads that involved 193 vehicles brought Interstate 94 near Battle Creek, Michigan, to a screeching halt in both directions Friday, killing at least one person and injuring a number of others.

And it's still closed.

-
Back