X & H pipe vs straight dual exhaust

-
I don't know how all these experts come up with some of this stuff??
I've never seen a 71 Charger 440 6pack without an H-Pipe.
Infact back in the summer of 78 we took my friends original exhaust off his Charger when we put headers on and were about to toss the Original H-Pipe when another friend pulled up and grabbed it like it was gold for his 383 car.

I know my 70 Cuda 440+6 didn't come from the factory with an H-Pipe but Hemi's did.
Ron

Maybe I can answer this first question.
"I don't know how all these experts come up with some of this stuff??"

Research, documentation and original low mileage examples.
Parts books and actual tech/service manuals show (2) part numbers (left and right) for the head pipes. If equipped with an h-pipe there would have been (1) part number as with the hemi cars. When designing our 71 440 B exhaust systems we used a 16K mile 6 Barrel RR that we had access to locally. Also factory specification information was referenced as the base line for our production pipes which does call for a right and left exhaust pipe. We also manufacture an h-pipe for those that would like one but it may not be correct according to some. If you read the following attachment it explains some of what is said above. Individuals have claimed that some Canadian cars did have h-pipes installed but so far this cannot be substantiated by actual documentation. If anyone can add further documentation to the subject it would be great. As it has been said before "never say never with Mopar".

Attachments

• 1970-71 B Headpipes-Hpipes.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,116
Here is some more documentation regarding 71 B 440 exhaust systems.
Arvin Industries was a major O.E. supplier to Chrysler including assembly line
exhaust parts. Here is what was supplied for U.S. built applications. Maybe there was a special order that was available for the h-pipe option.

Attachments

• 71 B 440 Arvin Ind.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,428

i went with the magnaflow one.

$T2eC16ZHJF8E9nnC8G5iBRTNm9Luzg~~60_35.JPG

my lil red came stock with a cross over. if i remember correctly the left and right were two different pieces and the "H" part clamped together..

dodge%20exhaust-system-clip.jpg

Lead Pipes with Flanges . . .Reg $468 set 25 lbs
ON SALE $320 set 15 lbs

i went with the magnaflow one. QUOTE]
Are you happy with it? Any noticeable improvements? Or complaints?

well i went from a 2 1/2 non crossover system with mac mufflers to a 3" x-pipe system with huge dynomax super turbo system. did everything i wanted it to do.. i actually had to jet up two sizes on the primary side when the new exhaust went on. car ran the same through the full exhaust as it did with the exhaust open.

Joe, you have a pic of your system from under the car. I swear I saved that one and can't find it.

these are the 2 1/2" tail pipes i had made after i put the street lynx in the car.. a lot of people say that 2 1/2 tail pipes after the mufflers will make more power because by then the exhaust gasses are cooler by then.

abodyjoeexhaust2.jpg

abodyjoeexhaust3.jpg

abodyjoeexhaust1.jpg

Pic0038.jpg

FWIW - just have to remember that it's not always easy to tell the difference just by "the seat of you pants", even at the track, one may need to change jetting a bit to get the most out of the change and a full system over an open exhaust can weight around 50-60 lbs more. So theoretically, in the 1/4 mile, that's about a half of a tenth difference. (i.e.: If it runs the same, you would actually be .05 faster at the same weight.)

So theoretically, in the 1/4 mile, that's about a half of a tenth difference. (i.e.: If it runs the same, you would actually be .05 faster at the same weight.)

you have a point with the weight thing. but i had cut outs so the weight was always the same..

Many Mopar muscle cars came factory stock with an H-pipe and they all sound great IMO.....I have a Heddman Header X-pipe on my 340 in my 74 Satellite with Flowmasters and love it, it sounds so sexy and mean, always get compliments on it....click on the picture to play the video :-D

Very Nice!

I'm kinda coming out of left field here, but instead of all this fancy crossover work.... wouldn't it be simpler, lighter, and easier just to run the pipes together with a Y and run a single from there back and accomplish the same thing?

I'm kinda coming out of left field here, but instead of all this fancy crossover work.... wouldn't it be simpler, lighter, and easier just to run the pipes together with a Y and run a single from there back and accomplish the same thing?

The pipe would have to be HUGE. a single pipe would have to be 4.25" to have the same cross sectional area as dual 3". Hard to tuck that under the car. It likely doesn't have quite the same scavenging effect either.

these small engined cars are irrevellant to us big engine guys. I`ve already got 3.5" everything for my 505" wedge, going to use the 3.5 " inside spiral type inserts, ( 12" long) and 3.5" straight thru roundy-round short mufflers which don`t lower the decible rating much. but still haven`t made up my mind on an x, or h pipe. will have to dump in front of the rear wheels.(3/4" offset spring hangars and new full size tank) any thots on this? comments welcome??????bob
P.S., had 3" spiral inserts dumping in front of the rear wheels on a 600 horse 406 sbc. couldn`t tell the diff. between them and flowmasters.

these small engined cars are irrevellant to us big engine guys. I`ve already got 3.5" everything for my 505" wedge, going to use the 3.5 " inside spiral type inserts, ( 12" long) and 3.5" straight thru roundy-round short mufflers which don`t lower the decible rating much. but still haven`t made up my mind on an x, or h pipe. will have to dump in front of the rear wheels.(3/4" offset spring hangars and new full size tank) any thots on this? comments welcome??????bob
P.S., had 3" spiral inserts dumping in front of the rear wheels on a 600 horse 406 sbc. couldn`t tell the diff. between them and flowmasters.

FORGOT, .003 diff. between the exhaust on that 406, and open headers. figured it was the weight differance!!-----bob

I can't vouch for the 15 more horses TTI claims, but with the TTI headers, Magnaflow X-pipe with Magnaflow mufflers I have, I got the sound I was looking for.

Attachments

• P1090143.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 705
It seems like the "X" cross over would act as a de facto driveshaft safety loop. Probably not ideal but better than nothing.

i don't know if this really matters, but all of the squad cars I've seen for the last five years have an Xpipe

Problem with x or h pipes is they can capture the tranny and other parts. They get in the way of removing the tranny

-
Back