Ya think it leaks a little????

-

GotDart

Reaction score
tpan.jpg

This is what came out of my trans the during the last 7 weeks or so. I think it was around the 4th of July when I backed the Dart into my garage. I started it tonight for the first time since I parked it and pulled it out onto the driveway. This is a water heater catch pan... it's over 24" in diameter. I haven't poured it up yet, but I bet it's close to a quart of fluid. Oh yeah, I had to put the trans into neutral for 20-30 seconds while the engine was running so it could fill the torque converter back up before the car would even move.

For the first time in a LOOOOOOONG time I have a car that leaks absolutely nothing. I know I'm probably jinxing myself, but....... You never know, the trans might be and easy fix. I had a 4 speed that leaked. Turned out to be the seal going into the speedo gear and the lube was going up the cable housing and coming out a scraped spot on the cable housing. I expected the worst, and it took longer to jack up the car than the actual fix. Good luck.

don

With the current price of any fossil fuel related products these days, you'd best borrow a set of the wifey's old panty hose, strain it well, and recycle that back through the tranny. :) Front seal take a powder, or is it coming from somewhere else?

Not sure where it's comming from. The pan stays wet. I did a fluid/filter change last summer hoping the new pan gasket would fix it. But of course it didn't. It's probably either the speedo cable or the gear select seals. It only leaks when the car sits, not when it's running.

When I pull the motor later this year, the trans will go in for a 'freshening'. I really want to swap in a 5-speed, but the stoker motor has wiped out my budget for a while.

It might be leaking from the dip stick o-ring or the shifter seal. When the TC drains back, the level fluid level in the pan rises and these two seals can be sealing against the fluid after it sits for a while.

HTH

Brian Gordon

Gordon340 said:
It might be leaking from the dip stick o-ring or the shifter seal. When the TC drains back, the level fluid level in the pan rises and these two seals can be sealing against the fluid after it sits for a while.

HTH

Brian Gordon

Yup. I actually have no transmission leaks for a change.

-
Back