YIIPPEE! For me

-
I probably will extend it forward cuz I don't like the rear of the car hanging over the back of the trailer (plus the gate don't close but I was going to change that anyway) plus add a toolbox and spare tire mount up front

I don't think I would remove any of the bars either in front or on the side. That is where the support is on those trailers. I thought I would do that to a utility trailer I once had and it almost collapsed. I would make sure of what you are doing first. just a thought.

Like trudysduster said that is an equipment trailer not a car trailer. The frame on these are a lot lighter than a car trailer. The rails up top are structural so be careful with what you do to it. I would sell that to a lawn care guy and look for a real car hauler.

I've got to look it over real close but I know I am going to add a couple heavy duty braces underneath just because it looks a little weak in a couple spots(when it comes to towing I'd rather be over cautious then not). Might even add some extra springs to the trailer and the truck.

Think about your tongue weight.

Too much and the trailer will steer the truck.

I used to pull a 73 Chevelle stock car (about 3,500 lbs) with a 98 V6 Dakota, on an old homebuilt trailer. Going was never a problem, stopping (no trailer brakes) got iffy a couple times. Had the trailer push the pickup through a stoplight once, luckily it was 2am so there was no traffic, weird thing was I had just turned off of the interstate and couldn't have been doing over 30mph.

You guys are crazy! Look again at the pictures; he doesn't need any more tongue weight. The center of gravity is already well ahead of the center of the axels. Now if he was going to back a car up onto the trailer, that would be different. But the nose of the car (with engine / tranny) is plenty far forward. Just ignore the extra space on the deck, look at the axel placement under the vehicle.

That's what I was thinking.

No fun getting speed wobbles on the freeway with 5000 pounds or more to get under control.

-
Back