YOUNG GUNS! Sign In and WIN

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my PM from ya Leanna and the gift is on the way.....in the morning. Cosgig PM'd me the addy so we're good to go. Congratulations Nella. Nella and i have a secret. You can let the gang in on our secret if you want to Nella. It's all in fun.
Small Block

Hey y'all, I just wanted to chime in and thank the many people who are helping the Young Guns along the way to proud Mopar ownership. From Leanna, who puts so much of her self into this contest and her business, to the many generous donors of prizes, you guys all ROCK!!!

Please don't think Nella has forgotten about giving her acceptance speech as this month's winner, but with only 2 weeks until school is out, she has her hands full with end of the year school work. Her time on the computer right now is spent finishing a semester long project about Venezuela. She has many pages to type, and with an onscreen keyboard and a joystick mouse, she just can't type very fast. Her project is due tomorrow. I will make sure she gets on and thanks everyone here who has given their time, energy and commitment to making this contest so great!!! She was really excited to win something, although she is just as happy just to be a part of FABO and have so many friends here looking out for her. We'll have some time on the weekend to chime in. Until then, thanks again everybody for all your hard work and commitment to the Young Guns. You'll never be sorry you sowed the seeds to help out the Young Guns, they'll make us all proud!!! Geof

Hey y'all, I just wanted to chime in and thank the many people who are helping the Young Guns along the way to proud Mopar ownership. From Leanna, who puts so much of her self into this contest and her business, to the many generous donors of prizes, you guys all ROCK!!!

Please don't think Nella has forgotten about giving her acceptance speech as this month's winner, but with only 2 weeks until school is out, she has her hands full with end of the year school work. Her time on the computer right now is spent finishing a semester long project about Venezuela. She has many pages to type, and with an onscreen keyboard and a joystick mouse, she just can't type very fast. Her project is due tomorrow. I will make sure she gets on and thanks everyone here who has given their time, energy and commitment to making this contest so great!!! She was really excited to win something, although she is just as happy just to be a part of FABO and have so many friends here looking out for her. We'll have some time on the weekend to chime in. Until then, thanks again everybody for all your hard work and commitment to the Young Guns. You'll never be sorry you sowed the seeds to help out the Young Guns, they'll make us all proud!!! Geof

They already do.

Congrats, Nella. Finish out the school year with a bang and get that A! :cheers:

A late congratulations to CudaGirl from a Cuda guy.Work hard on your schoolstudies and make us all proud.8)

I have your address Geof, and I can not wait to write a letter to Nella and her great family :happy10: Hello Nella and :wave::hello2::blob::wave:
Thank you for being a friend and if I need some info on Venezuela history I know who to ask :angel13:

This is my favorite picture of Nella, I hope this is ok ? CudaGirl is a MoPar girl for sure :thumleft:

cuda%20cropped (Custom).jpg

Hi everybody, this is cudagirl aka Nella. I just want to say thank you everybody for making me the new Young Guns winner. I'm very proud to be a part of the Young Guns group and the FABO family. I would like to send out a special thank you to memike, small block and the godfather of chrysler for donating the prizes I won. And a special thank you to Leanna for making such a great contest for us Young Guns. And a special thank you to Billy for picking me as the winner. I got 3 great prizes from my favorite people and I will make you proud of me. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all this money, but I will spend it on something great. Small Block, the secret may get out but I wlll make you proud that your prize was well spent. I already know where memikes prize is going, to feed Sunfish. And maybe godfathers prize can go on Sunfish too. Thanks again everybody and have a great day from Nella

Congratulations go out this month to thanson_mopar, Tate Hansen of Rapid City, South Dakota! Tate has been a very active FABO member since May of 2007. His story appears at Post #76.

He won the following fabulous prizes:

#14 - For a 1967 Barracuda: 2 taillight lenses, 2 outside door handles, 2 inside door handles, 2 front armrest bases, and 1 original steering wheel donated by DRENO

#17 - A good running 318 with a Thermoquad intake (including an adapter for a square bore carb) and decent 727 from 65 Dartman … the winner must make arrangements to pick it up or get it shipped

#21 - A professional rendering of the winner’s car prepared and donated by bjkadron

Please join me in congratulating Tate, and thanking the terrific FABO members who donated his prizes this month. I appreciate all of you getting involved to help out our Young Guns. :-D

WAY TO GO TATE!!!!

Guess I should probably add my story to this thread. Thanks in advance for reading. Really put some effort into this.

Nearly as long as I can remember, cars have been my passion. It just so happens that one of my earliest memories was standing in my

late grandfathers garage looking at his red '78 Corvette. That car is long gone now, but that thought remains.

Could that have been what got me hooked on cars? Maybe.

Of course I haven't always been a die-hard MoPar guy like I am now. (There is no reason I should be. My great grandpa worked for GM,

and my other great grandpa worked for Ford. Dad is a Camaro guy. Brother is too.) For a while I was interested in '55 Chevies, and

later Mercury's. Before MoPars came around AMC was my big interest, and I think that might be what led to my Chrysler sickness.

Probably my earliest MoPar memory was from like 6th grade when I saw a poster somebody had made at school about Dodge Chargers. One of

the pictures was of a bright green Daytona, and from that day on I was hooked. Chargers became my obsession, and my dream was (and

still is) to build a Viper Snakeskin Green Daytona clone with a 6.1L HEMI stroked out to 440cu.in., a Kiesler 5spd manual transmission,

and a 3.54 DANA-60. However as we all know B-Bodies are worth their weight in gold, so that dream probably won't come true for a

good amount of time.

Luckily the good ole' Chrysler A-Body is still within the budget of a teenager, so I ended up here. Right now I would like to thank

Jeremy (JMacsMopars) and Cody (69BronzeT5) for their help. Without them I probably wouldn't be interested in A-Bodies, or own one in

the first place. By this time I had been hunting for a MoPar using CraigsList, and had looked at a handful of cars. One was a Scamp

that needed an entire subframe. Another was a 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus with a truck 400 and raunchy body (featuring a

trailer park leaky sunroof). Me and my dad had driven over a hundred miles to look at the Satellite, only to come back empty handed.

I was really down in the dumps about finding a car after that, but God works in mysterious ways, and the next weekend along came the

Dart! One night really late I was surfing CraigsList, just like I always do. Normally I only search on my cities site (mainly because

after the Satellite affair I knew my dad wouldn't want to drive any distance for a car), but that night for some odd reason I searched

Columbus' page for a Dart. Up came a 1972 Swinger listed at $2,000. It may have been 9:00 at night, but I called them up, and asked

about the car. It was still for sale, but somebody was going to look at it the next day. If it didn't sell, my older brother agreed to

drive me there with a trailer to pick it up.

That next day at school I was on pins and needles, afraid of what I could have swore was going to happen. But it didn't! First thing I

did when I got home was call the owners, and the guy was a no-show. WooHoo!!! My brother was true to his word, and off we went up

North. It was a long haul (the car was located above Columbus) but we made it there, albeit dark by that time. Say whatever you want

about not buying a car without seeing it in the light, or what could have been hiding on the underside out of the view of our crappy

flashlight. So what! When I heard that screamin' Chrysler starter, and the dim glow of old-school taillights, I was in love. The green

repaint was done kinda crappy, and the floors were shot, but otherwise the body was straight and rust-free. A final price of $1,800 was

agreed upon, and the Dart was loaded on our ag equipment trailer. (A story all its' own. The PO was an idiot and said we were on a ramp

okay. Yeah, we sure were when the rear wheel slipped off and tore my exhaust up. Thanks a lot!)

Because it was dark when we got home, inspecting the car would have to wait until tomorrow. You can rest assured that I didn't sleep a

bit that night though! I finally owned a vintage MoPar. Green paint, 225 slant six, rusty floors and all. When morning came, my dad

helped me wire the torn exhaust up to the body, and I was able to back off the trailer and take it for a drive. Despite a constant

stalling problem at low speed (which I am still fighting today), the little slanty ran fine. Those wide G60-14 bias-ply tires hooked

great, so a burnout was out of the question; unless of course it is slightly damp on the road.

Immediately after unloading the car I started thinking of how I wanted to modify it. The first thing done was a Thrush glasspack on the

exhaust (after fixing the torn hanger, of course). Then I had a real old-school mechanic I am friends with rebuild the carburetor

(which helped with the stalling problem somewhat). Unfortunately I had purchased the car in October, and without money to register or

insure it, the car was not driven before winter. I wanted to drive the car so bad, but it would have to wait until spring. I got a few

things done during that time though, such as shackling the rear springs for some rake, buying a complete 8-3/4" rear for $50,

purchasing two "well used" Plymouth Duster parts cars for $300 (later figuring out that one is a Feather Duster!!), and just a few days

ago grabbing a disc brake setup off a junkyard Diplomat.

A couple of weeks ago I finally got the Dart registered and insured, and drove it for the first time. What a feeling. While I was

filling up at the gas station, a little like 6-year-old kid asked me what kind of car it was. I told him, and he said "it was real

nice." His dad started talking to me about it too. After I paid and was pulling out on the highway, I saw the kid and his family

walking down the sidewalk, so I laid into it with the single glasspack screamin'. Saw the kid smiling in my rear view mirror.

What will the future hold? Well, you know as well as I do! Money is the big factor now, but I have applied for a job at a couple of

places, so hopefully I can get some income going. I really want to get the disc brakes rebuilt and mounted up, and I was recently

offered a '74 318 for a $100. The front suspension needs rebuilt too. Now that I have air shocks and slot mags, my '70s style is

starting to come together, but there is still some more to go. (Think: traction bars, quarter window "scare stickers," and hopefully a

hood scoop.)

Leanna just called me this morning....what a great way to start off the day. I am speechless. Acts like this for love of mopar is what keeps me at this site. I don't know how to express how grateful I am, Cudachick, Dreno, Dartman, and bjkadron, I want to thank each of you for what you have done. Theres not many people that will give something away.....let alone to someone they don't even know. You are a great bunch of people, that remind everyone that there are good people left in the world.

Congrats Tate. Your doing awesome work on your car too. I can't wait to see it done. I will possibly be up there again in September and will have more time to do things than I did a few weeks ago. Have you made it to Buddy's yet?

72swinger. Awesome story. I hope to see your car one day too.

my name is ronny and im 21, i have many mopars i built my self and few handed down to me. my favorite is my 1968 barracuda formula s 340

My dad told me about a cuda he saw way back in the 80s on this single lane dirt back road in the early 80's, he never saw it again. fast forward until 2006.

I'm sitting at a girl friends house when her little step brother comes in and saws grandpa is having a yard sale and he pushed a old car out and says if it dont sell Im gonna junk it. i rush up there to find a beat up 68 barracuda formula s full of house hold garbage and not thinking much of it. it had an 8 3/4 rear that i wanted for my duster. i paid 200 dollars for the car how it sits. i get the car home and the frame is still shinny green and spotless, its caged, aluminum sheet metal floor, 2x3 sub frame connected, mini tubbed and car dented but zero rust.

i take the garbage out of the car to find
5- fluidampr race balancers
1- fuel cell
2- radiators
n.o.s. header panel and lower valance
full n.o.s. 68 grill looking brand new
8 340 aluminum rods
big block k frame
and other parts.
car has 4 piston disk brakes, 8/3/4 rear factory tach, power steering and brakes.
looked at speedo with 3701 miles. (no way right) went and talked to the old man and he tore it apart in 1970 to make a race car and never finished it.

car was gutted and missing alot of parts, i had a friend with a perfect running 340 4 speed formula s 68 cuda that had a really rotted frame, car was all original. i bought that car for 1700 and used all the parts to put mine back together.

so i started work, i blocked the body and painted it my self ( takes 2 seconds to type that but took 6 months of hard work) i wanted it black and purple.

rebuilt
68 340 with some good pistons, cam, did the heads. headers 2 1/2 exhaust with glass packs. holley blue fuel pump, 3/8 pick up with line. nitrous kit on it, line locks, rev limiter.
went through the 4 speed and rear. new clutch, driveshaft loop
got every factory gauge to work.
rebuilt the 4 piston calibers.
put gtx seats inside, made sheet metal door panels.
ordered centerline wheels
tractions bars
made my own window louver
and lots and lots more stuff.

i also own, 3 amxs, 71 roadrunner, 72 cuda, 73 cuda, 71 duster, vega v8. (i built 2 amxs my self, and most of the duster) others were handed down to me to take care of now. im not spoiled so dont say that. i work really hard, i do everything my self paint engines interior. and use lot of swap meet parts. theres story behind all the cars. every car was bought for under a 1000 except the amxs.

here are my a bodies

cuda5.jpg

cuda9.jpg

cuda4.jpg

cuda10.jpg

010.jpg

duster4.jpg

duster1.jpg

racerkilla. the story of how you got your 68 barracuda is almost like deja vu. because my girlfriends parents have a 27 willys im about to get off their hands, and i keep finding out more about it that is lookin real good

Well, I may as well give it a shot..

My name is Nick, I am 18 years old and I own a 68 Dart. Her name is Louise.

About 6 years ago I was 12 at the time) one of my dad's friends told us about a 69 Dart sitting in this guys driveway, so we hop in my dads GTS and drive over. Before we even got to the driveway, we look at eachother and say thats a 68!

Before even knocking on the guys door, I was all over the car. I wasn't going to leave without that dang Dart. I let me dad know how bad I had wanted it.

Knock on the guys door, he wasn't too anxious to sell it. He had owned it for about 12 years. He then looked out and saw my dads GTS and wanted to look the whole thing over. My dad kindly explained to him how much time and money he had into his GTS.

So David (the previous owner) says "Well, I'll sell it, but I need atleast $200" SOLD!

She started out as a 318/904 GT bucket seats, console car. Original UU1 light blue w/ blue interior.

Over the course of the next couple years, my dad and I went all over collecting parts. Alot of great local guys helped me out too.

One guy gave me a FREE blue console, as well as sold me original 68 BLUE GTS door panels for $80! Now tell me where you will find SUPER NICE blue GTS door panels for that price...

I was driving her out in Vegas when I was 15. Had a 340 in and was still being completed. I raced a couple races that year (2007) Just a bone stock 340 and ran mid 14's.

Winter of 2007 came and the 340 got a cam upgrade. Mild 340 w/ J-heads and a holley 650 DP, headers, full exhaust. I raced all of 2008 with the 340 and made a fast past of 13.76.

Winter of 2008 came, and the 340 was sold. In comes the 440 out of my dads GTS. All of 2009 it went between 12.20s and 12.50s.

Mild 440, Lunati cam, schumacher headers 2 1/2" exhaust, Chrome tips, Holley 650 DP, Holley dominator intake, 8 3/4" w/ 3:55's.

Winter of 2009 came and went. Early 2010, new headers are int he picture. The story behind them is they are Herb McCandliss' personal headers he had on one of his personal cars. I don't know if this true or not. But I'd like to find out from Herb maybe one day!

They are 2" tubes, 3" collectors, flow into 3" tubes back to super 44's, which go into 2 1/2" to my chrome tips. New converter, and she runs high 11s all day long through the exhaust.

Oh yea, maybe some of you guys remember at Mopars at the strip in 2008, I was the kid who scattered a 727 in the burnout box in 1st round elim on Sunday. Good times!

Probably bored you all half to death, so heres some pictures...

3rd picture is when I won the 2008 HS drags on May 1st, yes, only 2 months after blowing up my transmission.

0e28b296-1.jpg

Cars.jpg

meandthedart.jpg

Allpictures005.jpg

Allpics185.jpg

Bluedart1.jpg

bluedart666.jpg

dartchallenger.jpg

Pictures294.jpg

bluedartburnout.jpg

dartengine.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZzbV5pr7A"]YouTube- 68 Dart 11 sec pass[/ame]

Hope I didn't take up too much space! And I hope I didn't bore the heck out of you guys with my long story!

Congrats Tate. Your doing awesome work on your car too. I can't wait to see it done. I will possibly be up there again in September and will have more time to do things than I did a few weeks ago. Have you made it to Buddy's yet?

72swinger. Awesome story. I hope to see your car one day too.

Hey thanks, me neither I have got alot done but still have alot to do, probably be awhile before I do another ground up resto/mod again. You'll have to let me know when you get up here. Haven't made it to Buddy's yet, called him couple times and left him messages with no answer so he must be staying busy.

way to go tate another happy young gun !!!! yeah

thank you sir!

Congrats Tate! I just heard the news! I look forward to working with you!

and you as well....again, I appreciate it.

Congratulations go out to 73duster47, Jeff Bergh from Colton, California! Jeff scored three terrific prizes:

#11 - a handcrafted valve block from Ramcharger
#15 - $66 cash donation from floorman
#18 - a one-year gift subscription to Mopar Muscle from Small Block

Jeff's outstanding story and photos appear at Post #57.

Please join me in congratulating Jeff and sending a bigggg thank you to the guys who donated this month's prizes! I appreciate you all getting involved.

Thanks everyone. Been a long time since I'd won anything of any sort, and a good bright spot to the weekend.
Huge thanks to Leanna for putting on this contest, hopefully all Young Guns get something out of it and expand our comraderie in the hobby. I only know a few other people my age in my area with old mopars, and its great to know that there are more out there.
Another huge thanks to Ramcharger, floorman, and Small Block for making their donations, they'll all be put to good use. And a big thanks to everyone else who donated, I'm sure all other Young guns appreciate it.
Been working on my duster all day so far, trying to get the thing to start, only issue I'm having now is getting 12 Volts to the ignition coil, no matter what we've tried can only get 5V. Any suggestions?
Progress pics and hopefully video coming later on tonight.
Thanks again everyone, now to head back under the hood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back