YOUR OPINION

-

Holy Roller

Reaction score
I know there's a lot of us buying new and used parts for our cars. In your opinion..when it comes to buying new parts, who would you say you buy most of your new parts from. Include best price, fit and quality. I really appreciate your feedback.

It really depends on the kind of parts. Mechanical, body, interior, trim, etc. Even within them, there are sub groups depending on the type of part.

I buy for quality with price being the secondary consideration. Cheaper isn't worth it if it's not as good.

In general...

Suspension: Summit and Mancini
Engine: Jegs, Mancini and Summit
Interior and Trim: Classic industries, Herb's, Year One

But there are half a dozen more and sometimes it goes right down to the specific part.

It really depends on the kind of parts. Mechanical, body, interior, trim, etc. Even within them, there are sub groups depending on the type of part.

I buy for quality with price being the secondary consideration. Cheaper isn't worth it if it's not as good.

In general...

Suspension: Summit and Mancini
Engine: Jegs, Mancini and Summit
Interior and Trim: Classic industries, Herb's, Year One

But there are half a dozen more and sometimes it goes right down to the specific part.

Nailed it! He's right, depends what I'm lookin for... mostly summit, I don't shop Mancini any more because they have hosed me on shipping more than once. They won't quote shipping upfront!!!

My car is modern hemi and 200r4 so I frequently buy straight from specific vendors for that stuff.

the web is your friend for shopping pick what you want and brand then shop away looking at total cost

Ebay works for me usually.

Lots of side by side comparing in there and most big suppliers like jegs and summit have ebay stores and you can get just about anything there.

I know there's a lot of us buying new and used parts for our cars. In your opinion..when it comes to buying new parts, who would you say you buy most of your new parts from. Include best price, fit and quality. I really appreciate your feedback.
Does anyone have any problems with parts fittings properly from any place?

Only things like china knock off parts such as intakes. As stated above cheap, though tempting, sometimes ends up costing you more in the long run. I just went thru this with a Speedmaster starter from Jegs(who I buy mostly from) price was $63. Well I got what I paid for. The small terminal nut would not come loose and twisted the stem breaking the internal wire.Even after removing the stem from the case,chucking it in a vise, the 8mm nut took allot of pressure and a ''snap'' to get it loose. Jegs will not pay return shipping and charges shipping to send a replacement.The shipping both ways was about 2/3rds the cost of the starter. Went to the local AutoZone,Paid $104 (core charge was $30 of the $104 price. I didn't have a core)for a starter and was back in business.All in all $164 was spent on a starter project because I was trying to save the core charge. I kept the Speedmaster to repair at a later date that will cost me even more.Lesson learned.

IMG_2624.jpg

Back in the day...

Jip body parts. The cheap kind that's not marked AMD or Goodmark.

Quarter skin should take five-six hours tops. Spend ten hours just reworking the cheap pile just to get it close. Then another five hours marking and cutting until you can finally weld it in.

Door skins that don't even begin to fit the door shell, and make you spend hours working the door, fender, and quarter just to get it half way decent in body lines and gaps.

Fenders... Yeah, Mustang fenders and buckets fit for **** from the factory. Try getting a cheap *** Jip fender fit with a factory headlight Bucket.

These are the body parts cheap through places like Sherman, Auto Body Specialties in CT, or your local paint jobber.

Oh, and I've new water pumps from the typical parts houses (doesn't matter name - pick one) be off just enough on the housing castings that you have to use a tube of gasket maker to get it to seal or ship it back and get a reman using a factory housing.

Also, beware of any cheap aftermarket thermostat housing. They seal for ****.

What parts specifically?
Body
Suspension
Engine

Even the best, top places have issues from time to time.

Huh?
Are we talking bolt on "speed" parts or are we talking trying to find a windshield gasket that actually fits a 67 MOPAR?
Try one that doesn't fit and see if cost is a big issue.
I don't even know where to start.
You do know that Amazon and Wallmart are in a new price/shipping war.
And then there is Ebay.
I like to buy from places like Summit and vendors that are MOPAR specific.
Support Brewer's, (and Classic) is all I've really got to say.

You do know that Amazon and Wallmart are in a new price/shipping war.
Walmart is upset that Amazon is worth more and sold more for more profit as reported just the other day.

Walmart is upset that Amazon is worth more and sold more for more profit as reported just the other day.

...........heh........and I just heard the other day that Amazon is building some brick and morter stores at a time when Sears and OTHER brick stores are cutting back or going out of business..............

I dunno man, it seems like all parts are junk these days...Im not a conspiracy theorist, but its almost like they (the government) don't want old cars on the road. They definitely make it difficult. They'd rather you finance a new car so you keep working and paying taxes. Imagine owning your own auto shop and having to deal with cheap parts on your customers cars, you'd go under trying to honor your work and keep customers happy. Oh, back on subject, I have used Summit, Jegs, Auto Body Specialties, Rock Auto, most recently Mega Parts. So far cant complain. I find that I rebuild a lot of stuff, power steering pumps, steering box etc. I don't replace components if I can overhaul them or reseal them.

...........heh........and I just heard the other day that Amazon is building some brick and morter stores at a time when Sears and OTHER brick stores are cutting back or going out of business..............
BOOK STORE

Like others have stated, it depends...body and interior I just try to find something in stock.
Mechanical/performance its usually Jegs...
I have also bought a few things from Pace, there is something to be said when the owner ( Johnny) answers the phone and helps you out. Ive always liked helping smaller businesses out too, his prices are really good or even beat the others on the few things I've bought! Plus he is a sponsor here and FBBO.

Classic Industries, JEGS, Rock Auto and eBay for most of my parts on my car. Also bought a bunch of stuff from Dante's Mopar Parts. Managed to source a bunch of miscellaneous small parts from people here on FABO.

i don't think you can call all off shore parts cheap anymore..there are good quality parts coming from such places as China now,and truth be known a lot of the name brand stuff is coming from there.
Another thing to think about is the fact that Summit,Jegs and other resto suppliers are all selling the same brands.
I do like buying good used original parts or E bay for new old stock when i can.

The government doesn't want old cars on the road because it under cuts the auto industry from making new cars since yours just keep soldiering on.

While the aftermarket does employ many, the lack of new cars being made effects other areas, GNP and the $$$ amount made on new products plus exports.

The want the polluters off the road and cleaner cars on it. Soon, gas powered cars will be only seen on display indoors.
(I maybe dead by then..... )

NAPA, Summit, FABO, E-bay, Rock Auto in that order. Overall happy with supply and quality.
Have bought obscure stuff from others through e-bay.

Yes, because kindle will replace books, just like elevators replaced stairways
I have a Kindle Fire HD and I like it fine but I also read a lot of books.
I prefer the books but my bride managed to fill the house so I thought an E-reader would fix that.
Now I am stuck with both and the books keep coming-and going-to goodwill------?????? I lose!

-
Back