Your Preferred Engine Coolant Temp “Part 2”

What engine coolant temperature do you strive for?

• 190° Street

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • 190° Street/Strip

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 190° Race

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 200° Street

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 200° Street/Strip

• 200° Race

• Above 200° (All)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

12many

Reaction score
Same as Poll #1

Please only vote in the poll that applies, not both:thumbsup:

No ****. . Just vote or don’t vote.

Well I was going to vote, but changed my mind.
In the car I'm more interested in the oil temperature. I want the viscosity in the range where it will flow well and also hot enough to get rid of moisture. Over 180 in the pan is where I'd like it. I don't want it too hot for a host of reasons including in extremus breaking down the oil. Under 220 in the pan is still Ok by me. 250-260 and that's too hot for the viscosity currently in there.

As far as the coolant goes, my real interest is that its in the working range and stabilized.
Neither of my current vehicles has numbers on the coolant gage.
Green is good, Red is bad. :)
1684201174135.png

My preference is just under half on the gage, but a little less especially in the winter, or a little over half in hot situations doesn't matter to me.
It's pretty much like the ammeter. The gage is most useful for indicating the total story of what is happening over time and in relation to the situation. Its the sum of the information that alerts me that something needs investigating or an immediate action is required.

Very true the coolant temperature does not reflect the oil temperature and vice versa until an extreme is reached.

I voted in poll 1, but as long as it isn't boiling I'm good. :D

Very true the coolant temperature does not reflect the oil temperature and vice versa until an extreme is reached.
I've read that the coolant and oil temperature relate to some extent during warm up and under moderate use. Under high loads, the oil temperature will go its own way and can need its own cooler. Makes sense but I don't have a good way to verify. Likewise I beleive those who say the oil temperature in the pan is lower than the temps when its going through the engine. That certainly makes sense.

IIRC a Chrysler gage shows 120, 170, 230, 250*F
Center is about 200*F

180 very happy, 190 I'm ok, 200 I got my eyes on it, 210 not happy, 220 I need to rethink my cooling system...

I have a 340 that is about 100 HP over stock, and that extra power adds extra heat. My car runs at about 180 for 9 months. Then in June - August, it runs at about 200, and it is happy to be there. I used to worry about it, but at 195-200, my car runs fine, and I have never had a coolant overflow.

At my altitude water boils at 210° A 15# system raises that boiling point to 255°. I have only had one boil over. 95°, humid as heck, driving through a small town parade with the A/C on, and it puked as soon as I shut it off. It was a bad cap (loosing pressure)

I've read that the coolant and oil temperature relate to some extent during warm up and under moderate use. Under high loads, the oil temperature will go its own way and can need its own cooler. Makes sense but I don't have a good way to verify. Likewise I beleive those who say the oil temperature in the pan is lower than the temps when its through the engine. That certainly makes sense.

The pan Temps might reflect the coolant temp a little bit,paw used to have a chart on coolant temps and expected oil temp. The actual oil in the engine through the journals , it's about 70° +/- or so degrees hotter than whats in the pan.
Depending on the bearing.. typical bearing starts breaking down after 330 or so degrees and melts around 375.

wmoil-temp-chart.jpg

images.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
There are plenty of automobiles out there that run around with high coolant temperatures but keep in mind these same Vehicles run an oil cooler as well so all you guys averaging 200° coolant temp in your old Mopar with no cooler.. might want to zap the pan with a temp gun and see what your sump oil temps are and consider how hot they really are going through the bearings...at least check.

-
Back