10 in drums

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I am looking for a set of rear 10 in drums for my Formula S. Found a supplier yesterday who assurd me they had them in stock. After being charged they sent me a message they had no stock.
Any Ideas?
I had been told a set from a early 70's duster would fit. They are very tight on new shoes. I can get them on but can barely turn the wheel.
Also added new master cylinder and brake lines with wheel cylinders. No fluid in cylinder yet.

I am looking for a set of rear 10 in drums for my Formula S. Found a supplier yesterday who assurd me they had them in stock. After being charged they sent me a message they had no stock.
Any Ideas?
I had been told a set from a early 70's duster would fit. They are very tight on new shoes. I can get them on but can barely turn the wheel.

Have you checked the star adjuster on the brake shoes, to make certain it is
screwed together all the way? I have seen a few times, that brake shoe linings are sometimes a little thicker than usual (different manufacturers) which will cause issues with the drum wanting to fit over the shoes. Check that adjuster! Hope this helps.

I have and they are of the way in. Thanks for the thought

parking brake backed off as well. the old drums were totally worn out which is why I need to replace those. They fit loose with the new pads in place. The new ones have to be forced on. Thanks for the advice.

Are the wheel cylinders stuck out? Try bleeding the brakes while squeezing in the cylinders to see if they have free movement in and out.

So the drums are small bolt pattern? Make sure both shoes sit tight to the top anchor pin. If they are held off the slightest the drum will not go on.

parking brake backed off as well. the old drums were totally worn out which is why I need to replace those. They fit loose with the new pads in place. The new ones have to be forced on. Thanks for the advice.

Just a thought. Try pulling the E-brake strut out and see if the shoes pull in further at the top to allow the drum to slide on. You may need file the slot on the shoe where the strut pushes to get clearance you need.

thanks for the ideas. Small hub pattern. Taken brakes completely apart and cleaned. Old drums fit easily, but new ones are really tight. Have to be forced on and then the wheel will hardly turn. I think the car had the original shoes and drums. The shoes had the split in the center. The new once are solid across. Maybe I should try another set of shoes. Getting closer to taking her out of the garage since she came home from Chrysler Fats yard 2 years ago.

I have seen a few times, that brake shoe linings are sometimes a little thicker than usual (different manufacturers) which will cause issues with the drum wanting to fit over the shoes.

Another item about new shoes if I recall correctly, the arch may be off and not match the drum. Maybe the shoes need to be "arched".

Common problem. I usually just file a small relief into the crescent part of the shoe that rests against the anchor pin at the top. You'd be surprised how little needs to be trimmed to make a big difference in the fit of the drum. Go easy.

thanks for the ideas. Small hub pattern. Taken brakes completely apart and cleaned. Old drums fit easily, but new ones are really tight. Have to be forced on and then the wheel will hardly turn. I think the car had the original shoes and drums. The shoes had the split in the center. The new once are solid across. Maybe I should try another set of shoes. Getting closer to taking her out of the garage since she came home from Chrysler Fats yard 2 years ago.

Where did you find new drums and are they correct for the application? Been some strange stuff that isn't 100% correct selling on eBay lately.

These come from a local parts store. I can't find these on-line. I have replaced the master cylinder, all brake lines, wheel cylinders and pads. This is the last thing I need to do to move it from the garage after coming home from Chryslerfat's a couple of years ago. There is no fluid in the lines as I am assembling 1 side at a time. I had the axels out and replacing the bearings and seals as well as filling the rear end with fluid.
Once this is done I have someone to replace the floor pan. After that, I can put the interior together and maybe by next year have the fish complete.
Thanks for the idea's

These come from a local parts store. I can't find these on-line. I have replaced the master cylinder, all brake lines, wheel cylinders and pads. This is the last thing I need to do to move it from the garage after coming home from Chryslerfat's a couple of years ago. There is no fluid in the lines as I am assembling 1 side at a time. I had the axels out and replacing the bearings and seals as well as filling the rear end with fluid.
Once this is done I have someone to replace the floor pan. After that, I can put the interior together and maybe by next year have the fish complete.
Thanks for the idea's

What is the part number for the shoes and the drums?

When I bought new drums years ago always had shoes re arched to match new drums. I am not sure any parts stores have equipment to do it any more. You could take course sandpaper and knock the shoes down a little. Wear a mask a don't breath the dust. Really the right drums the bell type witch are no longer available except used so you have to make due with what you have.

Can you post a pic for us? Do you have both short primary linings on the front and both long secondary shoes on the rear side? I am thinking a shoe mix up or they are not both on the top anchor pin.

Not yet. Had to go back to work. Will get back on it next Monday. Thanks. How's it going up your way? I need to get this step finished. I have someone to replace the floor pans and then I can do the interior. The simple thing I guess would be to change the rear end, just didn't really care to do that.
Things will be slow for a few weeks, my daughter is getting married May 17th, lots of things to do. Hope you are doing well. Thanks for your help as always

Not yet. Had to go back to work. Will get back on it next Monday. Thanks. How's it going up your way? I need to get this step finished. I have someone to replace the floor pans and then I can do the interior. The simple thing I guess would be to change the rear end, just didn't really care to do that.
Things will be slow for a few weeks, my daughter is getting married May 17th, lots of things to do. Hope you are doing well. Thanks for your help as always

Waiting to hit the fields. I would leave the rear as it is original. Shocking that it has been at least 3 years since you picked her up.

Common problem. I usually just file a small relief into the crescent part of the shoe that rests against the anchor pin at the top. You'd be surprised how little needs to be trimmed to make a big difference in the fit of the drum. Go easy.

First thing,actually have the drums brake miked,for OEM specs. If they're close,this above....^^^^…………

-
Back