14" Disk brakes

-

Dan's 72

Reaction score
I have a 72 Dart 318 with 4 wheel manual drum brakes on 14" wheels. I want to convert to disk brakes. I would like to replace front and back and add vacuum booster. Everything I've found says I have to convert to 15" wheels. Is there a disk brake replacement for 14" wheels anywhere out there?

Dart.JPG
Dart.JPG

factory 65~72 for small bolt pattern or 73~76 for big bolt pattern will give you front disc, rear drums. there are also some aftermarket front kits that will fit a 14"

if you're looking for rear discs that will fit with a 14" rim, i'm not sure such a beast exists.

The factory disc brakes from the early or late A bodies will fit with factory 14" wheels and a lot of aftermarket 14" wheels.

You can do the big pattern disc brake swap using '73 and later A/E parts (and arguably FMJ spindles), and just use the factory 10.87" rotors without up sizing to the 11 3/4" rotors, and keep the 14" wheels, if my memory is correct. It'll stop just fine that way.

I would DEFINITELY recommend trying it with a manual master cylinder before adding power brakes. You might be perfectly happy with it with just disc brakes alone.

The factory disc brakes from the early or late A bodies will fit with factory 14" wheels and a lot of aftermarket 14" wheels.
Not meaning to highjack the op thread. I just want to say that I hope that RRR and family are safe with all of the storms because of the hurricane in Florida.

Aww, I thought we were talking about 14" brakes not brakes to fit 14" wheels. These are only 13"

IMG_5981.jpeg

factory 65~72 for small bolt pattern or 73~76 for big bolt pattern will give you front disc, rear drums. there are also some aftermarket front kits that will fit a 14"

if you're looking for rear discs that will fit with a 14" rim, i'm not sure such a beast exists.

DoctorDiff's 10.7" rear disk kit works with 14" wheels, looks like he's confirmed the fit for 14" rally and magnum wheels. That's BBP of course
Mopar 10.7" Rear Disc Brake Kit
I believe Dr Diff has some that will work for the front.

10.95" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 1)

Yup, that kit is the same as the 73+ Mopar disks, just with reproduction parts. Also BBP.

Not entirely sure, but I'm guessing the OP is trying to keep his 14" rallye's so he probably wants a SBP kit. I know the Stage 1 kit can be made to have a 5x4" pattern, but I'm not sure it will clear original SBP 14" rallye wheels

I put a kit from Stainless Steel Brake Corp. on my 69 Barracuda and maintained 14" wheel status. The rotors that came with the kit were drilled for big or small bolt pattern. I have 14" Cragars on my car, and everything works fine.

An A body with 11" front discs and 10" rear drums is a damn good setup.
I have a 67 Dart and 72 Duster with this setup and the braking is excellent.

SSBC has a kit that uses your 10 inch drum brake spindles - makes the swap a LOT easier. Uses KH 4 pot calipers used on later cars. Mine came with stud locations for both big and small bolt patterns and the needed studs, so you can change them easily with future changes.

Power 4 wheel discs on my Barracuda.
73 Dart donors on front and Jeep Cherokee on the back .
Stops great !

Manual 4 wheel drums on my Swinger . I used a smaller diameter master cyl and larger wheel cylinders. Stops great !

Why ? I got drums all around on my 68 Valiant with 400 hp works fine.
That makes no sense at all. Just because your drum brakes work "fine", that doesn't mean the car could not benefit by the addition of disk brakes. Everybody knows that disk brakes work better, will stop your car in a shorter distance, will not fade with heat as bad as drums, and are, therefore, safer. Yes, drums work fine, but when you add extra "GO" to your car, common sense dictates that you should also add extra "Whoa". And even if the OP does not add more horsepower, adding disk brakes is an awesome safety upgrade. I think @Dan's 72 is making a wise choice.

That makes no sense at all. Just because your drum brakes work "fine", that doesn't mean the car could not benefit by the addition of disk brakes. Everybody knows that disk brakes work better, will stop your car in a shorter distance, will not fade with heat as bad as drums, and are, therefore, safer. Yes, drums work fine, but when you add extra "GO" to your car, common sense dictates that you should also add extra "Whoa". And even if the OP does not add more horsepower, adding disk brakes is an awesome safety upgrade. I think @Dan's 72 is making a wise choice.
Yes everyone knows front disc are better, but is he upgrading because the drums aren't adequate there not on par with his driving style, have they failed regularly/once and cause near misses my guess probably not ? Rear disc aren't a needed mod.

If OP just putt around town drums are fine. If he does high spirited driving though the twisty and or long steep down hills with lots of braking then yes, especially if they maintained and not giving the performance needed. But if it's just to do something to the car it probably isn't necessary but it's his money and there's worst things to spend it on.

If you're pushing 400hp and have never needed anything other than stock drums, well, that 400hp is being completely wasted. It's not hard to overdrive a set of stock drums with 400 hp, not hard at all.

Yes everyone knows front disc are better, but is he upgrading because the drums aren't adequate there not on par with his driving style, have they failed regularly/once and cause near misses my guess probably not ? Rear disc aren't a needed mod.

If OP just putt around town drums are fine. If he does high spirited driving though the twisty and or long steep down hills with lots of braking then yes, especially if they maintained and not giving the performance needed. But if it's just to do something to the car it probably isn't necessary but it's his money and there's worst things to spend it on.

Ah the old ignorant rear disks aren't needed opinion.

Rear disks brakes have been shown, again and again, to shorten stopping distances. Are they needed? Well, if you need to stop in say 122 feet instead of 133, then yeah, maybe they are? A lot can happen in 11 feet.

Mopar Muscle did a rear disk conversion on a '73 Dart Sport and compared the stopping distances between the rear drums and rear disks from 60-0. Their result was that from 60 mph factory disks up front and factory drums in the back the car took 133 feet, 6 inches to stop. After the rear disk conversion, the stopping distance improved to 122 feet 4 inches. It wasn't a super scientific way to test it, but it was better than most of the documentation out there. And the car involved was set up the same way as a lot of these cars, with larger rear wheels than fronts.

The online article is a bit of a mess now, probably something with being moved from MM, to Hot Rod, to MotorTrend after each of the previous magazines was bought out. The final distance is a caption on the second to last picture if you open up the images for the article. The hardcopy article is easier to follow, but that's the way it goes.

https://www.motortrend.com/articles.../?galleryimageid=274576?galleryimageid=274576

I'm not saying they're mandatory, or even that everyone needs them for how they use their car. But if replacing BBP rear drums with a basic set of rear disks can knock 11 feet off your stopping distance, well, that's more than enough to make it a good modification. And that's not even considering the SBP 9" or even 10" rear drums, since they both have less stopping power than the BBP 10" rear drums.

I'm not stopping the dude from putting on disc brakes if he wants be it two or four wheel disc.
I could be wrong but from the pic's of the looks fair stock and gonna just be putting around town and people sometimes think/told you have to modernize every part of these cars, I'm just saying you probably don't have too unless you really want to. Will it improve braking yes will it stop it from ever getting into an accident possibly or it might just stop a 11 feet earlier and misses the squirrel but gets T boned instead, who knows.

Last edited:
Aww, I thought we were talking about 14" brakes not brakes to fit 14" wheels. These are only 13"

View attachment 1716309247

DoctorDiff's 10.7" rear disk kit works with 14" wheels, looks like he's confirmed the fit for 14" rally and magnum wheels. That's BBP of course
Mopar 10.7" Rear Disc Brake Kit

Yup, that kit is the same as the 73+ Mopar disks, just with reproduction parts. Also BBP.

Not entirely sure, but I'm guessing the OP is trying to keep his 14" rallye's so he probably wants a SBP kit. I know the Stage 1 kit can be made to have a 5x4" pattern, but I'm not sure it will clear original SBP 14" rallye wheels
Showoff. lol

These are the things to derail a thread over.

For sure.
Why ?

The OP could easily spend over a grand upgrading the brakes if that's what he really wants to do that's fine, but sometimes people get unnecessary mods in their heads that they may not of needed to do, I was just checking before he spends money, I have no vested interest either way.

Chances are drum or disc the car will never see an accident does going to disc slightly improved the odds yes by a possible $1000 + worth ?

Geez guy. We get it. It's his car though and he asked about converting to disc brakes. He didn't ask for a why or why not disc brake discussion. Let's keep him on the right topic, ok?

-
Back