1963 Dodge Dart 270 Convertible for the Wife

-
I am freaking starting to LOVE this freaking car! I was luke warm on the body style when we started but it was a complete convertible so we bought it.

I guess no one is putting this much effort into restoring a '63 Dart, so you mostly see beat up versions on 13" wheels. This already looks better than what came originally from the factory!

Spent the morning in the trunk.... by 12:30 my coveralls where soaked with sweat so I am done for the day...

New fuel filler that fits the new cap tightly, not the correct jack but I made it work for now. The right jack does not have a separate "J" hook. Fuel tank and lines all done.

View attachment 1715578633 View attachment 1715578634 View attachment 1715578635 View attachment 1715578636 View attachment 1715578637 View attachment 1715578638 View attachment 1715578639 View attachment 1715578640 View attachment 1715578641 View attachment 1715578642
Boy Jim, that sure did turn out nice!

I guess no one is putting this much effort into restoring a '63 Dart, so you mostly see beat up versions on 13" wheels. This already looks better than what came originally from the factory!

Agree, they are not worth much even restored but boy if they are restored right they are just as cool as any later A-Body I think.... I did not think I was going to like it as much as I do... I just had someone offer to sell me a '63 GT convertible locally if they can't get it shipped to Florida..... Mmmmm.

Jim, my first Mopar was a red 63 270 Dart. I thrashed on it for a couple of years before putting a window in the block. A friend of the family helped me installed an industrial slant he had in the car. I wasn't savvy enough to find out what the displacement was, but it was much faster than the original 225.

@billccm they are so little!

C296EAED-78A2-4627-8C21-876C23A82C37.jpeg
D8AB9E5E-7E03-4D51-9860-F8F56F3F77AC.jpeg
8FA4B414-914C-4BAD-9DF1-8FE3ACB33B74.jpeg

Last edited:
Car looks amazing. Your workmanship is unbelievable. This looks better than it would have new. Gives me motivation for my 63 post. Won't be near as nice as this but makes me want to finish it and enjoy it more and more. No where near as far along as you mind you. Can't wait to see the finished product.

"no, you can't drive it" :)
@kursplat, not sure if you know the long running drama but @billccm is a friend who has given me grief over air cleaners for years. He mocked my cheap Summit chrome one and he came up with a great idea for a decal for my modified factory air cleaner on my FiTech unit so now all air cleaner ideas must get his approval. When Dennis Gage used my Coronet in an episode this spring I did not mention to him that Bill came up with the idea for the decal and Bill keeps saying the air cleaner is the only reason he selected my car..... So I have to hear about the only time I tell people it was his idea is when the cameras are not running....
:rofl:

You can see his uncredited masterpiece here....

Sprayed wrinkle rattle can PJ1 paint... failure.... I saw a video of a guy that drained all the gas out of the rattle can so he could get the paint out to spray with a real gun... I understand why.... impossible to get an even enough coat to wrinkle evenly.... back to the sandblaster this weekend and epoxy primer with SEM satin black will the the final finish.

the only time i ever get wrinkle to set up correctly is when i cook it with a heat gun after spraying

Years ago I used the rattle can with varying success. It tended to group the wrinkles. Now I use a black wrinkle powder and it comes out even. I will say the rattle can gave deeper, more intense wrinkles than the powder does. First pic is with rattle can, second is powder.

shelby1.jpg

MilBlueVC1.jpg

As the number of items needing restoring dwindles I’m playing with engine performance simulations. I am talking with Mark at Aussiespeed about blower kits for the /6...... need to get it on the road so I stop having these unnatural thoughts.....

Lesson learned, don't experiment with paints over SPI Epoxy Primer... If you don't like the results stripping the toughest epoxy available will cost you half your Saturday... Finally stripped and the last nasty part is stripped and painted with SPI Epoxy... the drive shaft. Just need to take it to the machine shop for a new u-joint and trunnion bearings.

DSC_1105.jpg
DSC_1106.jpg
DSC_1107.jpg
DSC_1108.jpg
DSC_1109.jpg

And the final product with my custom decals and an mist of SEM Satin Black; approved by @billccm himself.... I'll have to show Dennis Gage next time I am over for dinner.... :)

DSC_1110.jpg

Ok these have been painted a few times in their lives now I have them cleaned and in the sun.. That explains the multiple colors.. I am going to talk to the ABC guys about doing new armrests they look SUPER simple to make. Punch out a plate, lay down a bit of foam and shape and glue some material over it.

DSC_1122.jpg
DSC_1123.jpg
DSC_1124.jpg
DSC_1125.jpg
DSC_1126.jpg
DSC_1127.jpg

Fixed the cracked panel... cut a deep groove so the epoxy gets a good bite.. Add extra to reinforce this entire area on both sides as 50 year old plastic is brittle! Back inside in the AC for a hour before the next quest to the hot garage.

DSC_1128.jpg
DSC_1129.jpg
DSC_1130.jpg
DSC_1131.jpg

-
Back