1963 Valiant Wagon "Candy girl"

-
At the end of the day I started disassembling it all because now with all the brackets made that needed fitting are done, now the engine comes out for paint and I'm going to paint the engine compartment. So the next time all these parts reunite, everything should be Shiney and beautiful.

20200803_203325.jpg

At the end of the day I started disassembling it all because now with all the brackets made that needed fitting are done, now the engine comes out for paint and I'm going to paint the engine compartment. So the next time all these parts reunite, everything should be Shiney and beautiful.

View attachment 1715572688

Be sure and show it to us ---------

There must be a trick to sealing that connection where the intake and exhaust manifold sit together right below the carburetor. It seems that every slanty that I have worked on leaks from there.

There must be a trick to sealing that connection where the intake and exhaust manifold sit together right below the carburetor. It seems that every slanty that I have worked on leaks from there.

On mine, I cleaned it SPOTLESS, then got a sanding block and leveled both the intake and exhaust manifolds out. Then I sprayed the thin steel gasket with a THICK coat of Copper Kote and let it sit overnight and assembled. So far, no leaks at all.

I used these. No problems. My understanding is they are a little thinner than Remflex. A little over $50 for both gaskets including shipping from AU.
HP Premium Graphite Manifold Hot Box Gasket : suit Slant 6

All the above gasket posts are good information but...., PV is using 3 into 2 Headers and a non stock intake so this has nothing to do with her build.

If you are 100% stock IRON exhaust and intakes then you MUST follow the tightening steps or it will cause a stress point in the exhaust manifold.

My last /6 we brazed the exhaust pocket shut with 11 gauge tin and ground the intake mating area down so they did not touch.

Is all that white stuff in the engine compartment the phosphate from Ospho? If it is be sure t reapply let it sit wet awhile and rince with water to neutralize it all. Otherwise you can get a delayed reacton from primer/paint.
Ospho is great stuff but be ware.

Is all that white stuff in the engine compartment the phosphate from Ospho? If it is be sure t reapply let it sit wet awhile and rince with water to neutralize it all. Otherwise you can get a delayed reacton from primer/paint.
Ospho is great stuff but be ware.
Its original white paint, it was originally a white car.

I have been panel fitting and picking out the best panels to use on the front end.

I have two sets of fenders and two hoods to decide which are the best ones and i only have one header panel and grille but it seems straight enough.

20200804_204018.jpg

Not sure if the 1963 Valiant has the same rear wheel wells as the 1965 Barracuda. This is a tire that fits. Its a 275/60 15 on 1980's Cop Car Ralleys and V dog dish hub caps. A 235/70 15 does fit better.

Cuda 022 zoom.JPG

Not sure if the 1963 Valiant has the same rear wheel wells as the 1965 Barracuda. This is a tire that fits. Its a 275/60 15 on 1980's Cop Car Ralleys and V dog dish hub caps. A 235/70 15 does fit better.

View attachment 1715575030
Wow, that's a lot of tire.

I have not thought much about it yet but I was going to upgrade from the 13" wheels it originally had to 14x 5.5 in BBP. I was planning to use P205/75/R14 tires but I haven't thought about it yet.

Wow the car in that pic has been sitting for awhile. Look at the green moss attached to it.

In Washington St, we do not sun tan during Summer, we RUST to a nice patina.

But YES that B-Cuda was last on the road in 1998 when my 16 year old son hit a parked Toyota Camry while doing a burn out. It totaled the Camry and busted the concrete curb at the Camry's right wheel.

In Washington St, we do not sun tan during Summer, we RUST to a nice patina.

But YES that B-Cuda was last on the road in 1998 when my 16 year old son hit a parked Toyota Camry while doing a burn out. It totaled the Camry and busted the concrete curb at the Camry's right wheel.
Are you going to put a front clip on it and drive it?

Are you going to put a front clip on it and drive it?

Son is now 38 and he has gotten all the parts. Some plans:
He will be putting a Stroker 410 in it.
He will put a Turbo'ed 318 in it.
He will put a built 3.5 front wheel drive Intripid V6 in the back as a 'Hemi Under Glass'.

But please, back to PV's post.

So I found that harbor freight sells a simple scaffold set up. I was looking on Craigslist and found a used one for 50 bucks.

A scaffold is just the ticket to comfortably work on the roof of a car .....

I've made an effort to work on this car at least 45 minutes a day since Jan 1.

Sanding, sanding and more sanding.
The car was originally white so I need to get the blue off for sure, and then it's a layer of teal green, that needs to go too but I might leave some of that original white enamel. This car is going to be white.

20210106_171858.jpg

20210106_194145.jpg

20210106_194242.jpg

I kinda like the way it looks without the luggage rack. But it's going back on, I'm planning to use it.

-
Back