1964 plymouth valiant Slant six to 340

-
Early Dart has a 111 inch wheelbase vs. the early Valiant's 106.5.

Speedo gears for the early trannies are no longer being produced (unless that's changed since I last looked), but you can find one every now and then on ebay or at swap meets. I have probably half a dozen, with various teeth counts. (None for sale.)

Speedo gears for the early trannies are no longer being produced (unless that's changed since I last looked), but you can find one every now and then on ebay or at swap meets.
Brewer's has new speedo gears. I bought one last year for my 65 vintage B&T A833.
Speedo is within 1 MPH at 70 according to my GPS.

Nobody talks sbout the B&T trans having a ball bearing tail housing compared to sleeve bearings in newer ones. NASCAR teams used them into the mid to late 60's.

Is it possible to convert the tailshaft and housing on an old B&T 833 to a more modern 66 & up slip yoke if you had the parts? The main thing I know about 833's is that they are heavy! LOL

Is it possible to convert the tailshaft and housing on an old B&T 833 to a more modern 66 & up slip yoke if you had the parts? The main thing I know about 833's is that they are heavy! LOL
They start around 100 lb with aluminum, tailshaft housing, side cover and 26 spline mainshaft.

As you probably know, your '64 four speed will have a ball & trunnion output shaft on it. And while your current driveshaft also has a ball and trunnion front joint, coming from an automatic (which is longer than the four speed) it will be far too short to use. You're probably going to strike out trying to get anybody to build you a ball & trunnion driveshaft in this day and age (not to mention a severe lack of new/rebuild parts for the B&T), so my advice would be to have a new shaft built as per this article:
Early Valiant Barracuda Club - ball and trunion U-joint conversion
This is not so, I recently installed a 8 3/4 rear end in my 64 dart that I had just put a 340 in, and went to a shop in Quincy, Ma. and they found the parts to make a ball and trunnion with a slip joint to fit my car. It wasn't cheap but the parts are out there. I think that the drive shaft cost me around $475.00 if I'm not mistaken.

parts to make a ball and trunnion with a slip joint to fit my car.
Okay, I'm baffled- how can it be a ball and trunion, AND a slip joint?
And yes, parts are out there, but far and few between, and pricey when you do find them. You got lucky, most driveline shops want nothing to do with B&Ts, either because they can't get the raw parts or they just don't want to deal with them.
That's why I recommended the conversion shaft- That REPLACES the B&T with a slip joint and a U-joint.

Early Dart has a 111 inch wheelbase vs. the early Valiant's 106.5.

Speedo gears for the early trannies are no longer being produced (unless that's changed since I last looked), but you can find one every now and then on ebay or at swap meets. I have probably half a dozen, with various teeth counts. (None for sale.)
Do you have a part number ?

And if i may ask. If you have so many why not sell some ? Are building that many cars ?

Do you have a part number ? No. I know what they look like, and I can read the tooth count on each of them.

And if i may ask. If you have so many why not sell some ? Are building that many cars ? I have three cars that use the early speedo gear. If I change the rear gears on any of them, will have to change speedometer gear. Also, I'm a hoarder. . . .

Send me pictures and pricing on the drive shaft please.

And the correct speedo gear isnt remade ?
Pictures are in the link, the thing about the early speedo gear is because the the input shaft is small make it not adjustable so you only have a few gears available, and there may not be a solution for your tire size/rear gear ratio. There are other devices outside the trans to correct the speedo. as far as a price goes PM me, it wont be much I promise especially since you will need to shorten it I suspect.

Okay, I'm baffled- how can it be a ball and trunion, AND a slip joint?
And yes, parts are out there, but far and few between, and pricey when you do find them. You got lucky, most driveline shops want nothing to do with B&Ts, either because they can't get the raw parts or they just don't want to deal with them.
That's why I recommended the conversion shaft- That REPLACES the B&T with a slip joint and a U-joint.
When I get a chance I will post pictures and maybe some part numbers. I had a sheet laying around somewhere with all the part numbers to do it myself and I found that the driveline shop was only a few bucks more, so I had them build it for me and it came out perfect!

Here are some pics of my Ball & Trunnion / Slip Joint drive shaft

IMG_5652.JPG

IMG_5651.JPG

IMG_5650.JPG

IMG_5649.JPG

As I suspected- that is the conversion shaft that eliminates the ball & trunnion, exactly as I referenced in the link in my earlier post.
It uses a flange and U joint at the tailshaft with a mid-shaft slip joint to eliminate the ball & trunnion.
Ball & trunnion vs. conversion shaft:
ISEekP9wHaE8?w=279&h=186&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

fohsg6ZwHaFj?w=248&h=186&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

Yes, I remember checking out your post when I was looking into doing this. Thank you for that, by the way. I thenlooked up all the parts needed and called my local driveline shop in Quincy, Ma. and asked what they would charge to do the job for me. The price was so close, I decided to have them do it. And as a bonus, they also balanced the shaft! As far as I was concerned, I got a great deal.

-
Back