1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
I think we can stop guessing now. I'll say this alright. You can definitely tell she needed headers badly. It sounds a lot better. Like it's running "easier" somehow if that makes sense. Video coming shortly.
DSCF2991.JPG

Here she is in all her uncapped glory. She's idling smoother and a little faster. I'm sure I'll need to go through and retune her, but I'll wait till I get the exhaust connected.

Sounds GOOD! Looks GOOD!!!
I must apologize..I referred to Vixen as Gladys other day!
I have had headers on two slants years ago, one was a fresh engine, not sure if they were any faster but they sure had a good sound, even stock.

Brakes are very important but that isn't the first thing to do. First exterminate the mice. How did they get those hickory nuts in there on the floor?

Here she is with the headers hooked up. My buddy Charles did a really nice job on it.

Here's a picture of the head pipes. It's really tight through there, but there are two 2" pipes goin through without hittin anything.
HEAD PIPES.JPG

Haven't driven her very much, because Charles lives fairly close by, but I can tell there's more power everywhere. Biggest place is at cruise with my big toe on the gas. It takes literally nothing to keep it going down the road at 60-65 MPH. I can also tell a pretty big difference on hard acceleration from 3000 on up. I blipped it to about 4800 in that video and it doesn't even sound like it went that high, but it did. Pretty amazing difference.

Last edited:
If one or more of yall could do me a favor? I would like some pictures of a slant power early A with the clifford shorties and power steering. I'd like to see how well that fits.

Unl
If one or more of yall could do me a favor? I would like some pictures of a slant power early A with the clifford shorties and power steering. I'd like to see how well that fits.
Unless they have changed them (which I doubt) they don't fit an early "A" with power steering. I put a set on a 64 Valiant some years ago (I was converting from manual to power steering) and the front collector hits the steering box. You need to modify the front three tubes to raise the front collector up higher. That is with a 225. With a 170 the problem is even worse.

Unl

Unless they have changed them (which I doubt) they don't fit an early "A" with power steering. I put a set on a 64 Valiant some years ago (I was converting from manual to power steering) and the front collector hits the steering box. You need to modify the front three tubes to raise the front collector up higher. That is with a 225. With a 170 the problem is even worse.
Thanks, Charlie. That's what I thought. Well, I'd rather have headers than power steering, so there it is. lol

-
Back