1964 Valiant - Protective plate for fenderwell headers? Pic inside

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
I am going to be changing the side exhaust on my 64 valiant. Not much I can do about the fenderwell header clearance. Not sure how apparent it is in picture but have about 3 inches of clearance between lowest part of header and road.

My friend suggested getting a protective plate for the headers. Did a search in exhaust forum but I cant find any info or pictures of protective plates. Anyone here have plates installed on an early A body? Any other solutions for low hanging fenderwell headers? Headers on the car are Hedman Husler.

Any help is appreciated. I brought this car up from WV and have to get it through provincial inspection. Exhaust will never pass. Will be preparing it all summer.

Here is pic of car.

image_zpsb11c9e03.jpg

That's a great looking Valiant!
The front end appears to be cranked down a bit. Maybe just raising it a little with the tortion bars will provide more clearance.

Going to check that out. Thanks. It could also just be my crappy driveway that is filled with huge offset bumps and dips. I will see how it sits in my garage.

I have the same car, same fenderwell headers, just as low, yet my pipes come straight back from the headers, under the rear housing right to the rear bumper where you'll find SuperTrapps.. No problems in 25 years of driving. Although the car and exhaust is low, as long as we don't drive like assholes, everything works well...

Hey Hotlines that is great to hear. That is exactly what I was going to do with my exhaust.

How is your turning radius? What brakes do you have in front? Your car is one of my favorites on here.

I have 73 or 74 Duster discs on front with 205 70 14's and the turning radius is just fine with manual steering. While were on the subject, the rear tires are 245 60 14's and the 8.75 rear has 2" blocks. I cannot help myself as I love a lowered look.
The pipes going under the rear may not be correct for some persons yet I have never had a problem with launching or anything hitting. Some ask if it's mini tubbed which it isn't, yet the look is awesome. I was at DQ for the Friday night meet tonight and the Chevy boys love the Signet and always find me a space up front..

The only problem which to me isn't a problem is that with this kind of stance and the pipes being so low only at the headers, which makes going up or down a driveway where there's a sidewalk somewhat scary to the collectors, so I always drive in or out at an angle.. You can tell that the headers are slightly lower than the deep sump trans pan

BTW, Thank you I do my best for the things I love..

I'd crank up the torsion bars a bit. It won't look as prostreet as it does now, but you probably don't need to crank them up that much. By the way, very nice Valiant.

So why won't your side pipes..(and it looks like you have mufflers) pass safety inspection ?

If you belong to a car club, you can have it verified by the club.... put antique plates on it and never go through the safety inspection...

So why won't your side pipes..(and it looks like you have mufflers) pass safety inspection ?

If you belong to a car club, you can have it verified by the club.... put antique plates on it and never go through the safety inspection...

I imported the car from the US so it has to go through both federal and provincial inspection. No choice or way around it.

They look like mufflers but they are like resonators not much insulation. The car is drag car loud. Exhaust system will never pass. Here is vid of it running. Not sure if you can tell how loud it is. Sounds awesome though! Lol!

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2g30I5PfgE[/ame]

My friend suggested getting a protective plate for the headers. Did a search in exhaust forum but I cant find any info or pictures of protective plates. Anyone here have plates installed on an early A body? Any other solutions for low hanging fenderwell headers? Headers on the car are Hedman Husler.

What some guys do is cut a piece of plate wide enough to cover the tubes, and maybe 6- 8 inches long and tack weld it to the header so that it comes back and covers the step by the collector. That way if you do scrape it may prevent the collector from catching and tearing something up.

Hope that makes sense.

I imported the car from the US so it has to go through both federal and provincial inspection. No choice or way around it.

They look like mufflers but they are like resonators not much insulation. The car is drag car loud. Exhaust system will never pass. Here is vid of it running. Not sure if you can tell how loud it is. Sounds awesome though! Lol!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2g30I5PfgE

My, oh my,does it ever !!! My buddy with a charger r/t was hounded by the cops and he had actual mufflers on his car. You wonder how all these harley davidsons can drive around with out any sound reducing systems..and they don't even sound good...

Could you get away with just a tube muffler like a thrush ?

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/products.html

As long as they tone down at speed, they would be great.

ian.

What some guys do is cut a piece of plate wide enough to cover the tubes, and maybe 6- 8 inches long and tack weld it to the header so that it comes back and covers the step by the collector. That way if you do scrape it may prevent the collector from catching and tearing something up.

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you. Yes. That does make sense.

My, oh my,does it ever !!! My buddy with a charger r/t was hounded by the cops and he had actual mufflers on his car. You wonder how all these harley davidsons can drive around with out any sound reducing systems..and they don't even sound good...

Could you get away with just a tube muffler like a thrush ?

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/products.html

As long as they tone down at speed, they would be great.

ian.

Thanks Ian. I have the new exhaust system all spec'ed out so I am ok with that once I am ready. Still have to set up a working horn, new tires, exhaust, relocate the shifter and then take it to inspection to see what they say.

My family is in the Sydney area ( Port Morien just after Glace Bay). Where are you in NS?

Cheers
John

My family is in the Sydney area ( Port Morien just after Glace Bay). Where are you in NS? John

I have been in your town and have had the privileged of hugging Rita MacNeil :)

John, I live in Port Williams , in the Annapolis Valley..kinda of just in back of Wolfville /New Minas / Kentville....but am from PEI.

I have a great supplier from Reserve Mines .. a Craig MacNeil..his site http://roadrageracing.ca/

Also went to school with a lot of Capers...not sure how old you are but I am 55 this year...

Ian.

-
Back