1965 Dartcharger

-
OK! Here in VA an antique auto is considered to be 25 or more years old. if you use the Virginia antique plates or year of Manufacture plates, you are not required to get it inspected. There are supposed to be restrictions on how much, when and where you can drive your antique. If you use YOM plates and get it inspected, then you can use it every day. It would then be considered the same as regular plates.

Ulf and Don. 25 years is what they do in Iowa as well.....at least that is what they tell me. Minnesota also. Best to all. sgrip65

Finally the factory exhaust system is back in place. When I took down the old system I found some strange bolt bracket/clips for the bolts on the y-pipe on the driver's side. I have never seen this before. Can it be factory or after market?

20190621_155621.jpg

20190621_155616.jpg

Finally the factory exhaust system is back in place. When I took down the old system I found some strange bolt bracket/clips for the bolts on the y-pipe on the driver's side. I have never seen this before. Can it be factory or after market?

View attachment 1715353541

View attachment 1715353542

Ulf. If you recall, I bought a 65 Valiant Signet with a HiPo. The Valiant did not have these clips as shown....I do not know if they are factory. I just installed my engine in my 65 yesterday using the dolly for the first time, and it worked well. The sequence is shown on my build thread. So, today, I will be installing my exhaust. Nice looking 65 as I follow along. sgrip65.

I have seen similar style clips for other applications but not on the exhaust as you have pictured. Factory or aftermarket- hard to say after 54 years and other owners!

Last edited:
Ulf. Where did you find the exhaust....Resonator and all. From a 65? Best. sgrip65
It's the exhaust system I had on my convertible. I bought it NOS and have uaed it since 1990! That's what I call quality!
I was able buy back a complete NOS exhaust system I sold to my buddy Johan. He will go another route on his car.

Ulf. Is that the left exhaust manifold painted orange? Was that OEM? Curious. Thanks. sgrip65
Jerry! The color is International red which is the closest color to factory paint. Since the exhaust manifold was mounted when the engine was sprayed almost the entire manifolds were red!
I tried to duplicate that process since the engine is rebuilt and I want it to look stock.

I have seen similar style clips for other applications but not on the exhaust as you have pictured. Factory or aftermarket- hard to say after 54 years and other owners!
True Don! I will try to look through the partsmanual too see if there is any evidence of those clips.

While adjusting the rear brakes I found out something I never seen before. The right rear drum had yellow paint splot on one of the wheel studs. Is this evidence of yellow painted drums on the Dart Charger 273 or just a paint splot from the factory?

20190628_152352.jpg

20190628_152401.jpg

Looks like it's highlighting the right hand thread stud.
Hey Avispa....could be, as it is much easier to see. Most folks who owned mopars would know the right vs the left hand threads, but I sure did not until I owned one. Were the drums on a Dart Charger ever painted yellow? Interesting thoughts from you and Ulf. Was the Dart Charger stock with 13 inch drums, or did some come with 14 inch. I converted mine to 14 inch shown on my 65 Dart Revisited II thread.

Don't know about the yellow drum thingy, could be, because they came with Cragar S/S's right? so you would be able to see the outer rim of the drum I suppose, imho I don't think the factory would go that far, I would bet all he Chargers came with the optional 14 X 5.50 rims, manual shows 13 X 4.50 and 14 X 5.00.
My interest in the Dart Chargers came from My brother-in-law, I remember him coming over to the house in a pale yellow or beige 65 Dart, not sure if it was a GT, Charger, or what, this was in 65 and My memory is "fuzzy" around then, I was a 4 speed car with bucket seats, brand new car, it was pretty fast, and He told me stories about the cars performance by His uncle who the car belonged too. I always liked the 65 Dart, the body lines are great.

Don't know about the yellow drum thingy, could be, because they came with Cragar S/S's right? so you would be able to see the outer rim of the drum I suppose, imho I don't think the factory would go that far, I would bet all he Chargers came with the optional 14 X 5.50 rims, manual shows 13 X 4.50 and 14 X 5.00.
My interest in the Dart Chargers came from My brother-in-law, I remember him coming over to the house in a pale yellow or beige 65 Dart, not sure if it was a GT, Charger, or what, this was in 65 and My memory is "fuzzy" around then, I was a 4 speed car with bucket seats, brand new car, it was pretty fast, and He told me stories about the cars performance by His uncle who the car belonged too. I always liked the 65 Dart, the body lines are great.
All the Dart Charger 273s came with Cragar S/S wheels in size 13 x 5,5 inch with 7.00 x 13 Goodyear Power Cushion in WW or BW.

Yesterday we had a big car show in town. 1500 cars arrived at 2019 Wheels Nationals. Of cause my plan was to take my latest Dart Charger to the show. Early morning I took it out of the shop and let it idle when I closed the doors. Back in the car I put her in drive and off we go. 200 feet and a strange noice occured. I drove another distance around the barn and on the backside it was stop and I mean stop! No drive or reverse helped me out.
So in the shop and grabbed the red Dart 270 wagon. When I got home after the show I took the wheel loader and"helped" my Dartcharger into the shop.
I jacked it up and the wheels were looked. Off with the wheels and the drums.
Next I put it on jackstands and then disconnect the prop.shaft, the U-bolts and the rear shock.
This morning I took the drive shaft off and carefully took off the backplates incl the brake tee.
Next I took out the rear end and found out that the 3.23 gears was shot as well as the pinion bearing.
Then I grabbed my gone through axle and mounted it just like it should beu in reversed order.
It took me a total of 2 hours to change the rear end without bleeding the brakes.
Tomorrow I will get some oil for it and then we're good to go!

All in all, coulda been worse, coulda been leaving the show and in the dark ! see, there's always a silver lining :)

While adding the new rear end I couldn't add it without checking for paint splots and markings. And I found markings for 2.93 gear ration as well as a white painted area with a stamping 293. Never seen that before. Was on a 65 Dart assembled in mid October 1964. So my guess is that the stampings is the gear ratio!
Any other ideas?

I took her for a spin today and she ran like a kitten. Except for the exhausts coming true the non existing trunk weatherstrip. Well, actually it was there but didn't do the job. I really like the California cars with zero rust!

20190630_162919.jpg

20190630_162924.jpg

20190630_162934.jpg

20190701_205844.jpg

20190701_205439.jpg

The temperature here today is 33C and if my 65 was on the road, you better believe I’d have the AC cranking out cold air!

Ulf and Don. Who knows, maybe someone took a spin through the Low Tide at one time. Who knows what those beach-combers/surfer dudes and dudettes did in the late 60's and early 70's as it was wild time in life for those who lived it. Ulf's car looks great. sgrip65

-
Back