1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
After a long search I was able to find a capacitor (noice supressor) for my car.Itwas equipped with one from factory but I have never found one. After searching the internet I was able to buy two of them for USD 14 on Ebay. I thought it was a fair price. The one for 71 can be soldif someone is interested.

The partnumber stamped on the end reads 2197674 and have a black wire. That is correct for 1965 to 1967 cars.

The body plugs in the trunk have been cleaned out. Does anyone know if they reproduce there plugs with right number and letters?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 742
  • 003.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 718
Today I did the assembly line process to get the torsion bars painted the right way!!

Bought a 4 feet plastic pipe with 3" inside diameter and opened up the top with 2,5" opening so I could dip the torsion bars. Plugged the ends and added 1 litre of black paint and 1/2 litre of hardener. (don't know how much that is in US volume)

After the bubbles took off I was able to hang down the torsion bars just as the factory did it. My wife was wondering if I was nuts! -Do you want to create dripp markings?? Are you out of your ........!!) :glasses7:

The dripp markings turned out great! They are just as they were from the assembly line!! Now I need to get the olive green paint splots done correctly.

:coffee2:

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 714
  • 006.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 718
  • 007.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 704
  • 008.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 722
Ulf, you are soooo crazy!!! :D LOL

Just kidding, actually it's cool that you are doing a restoration like this, and you are doing most of the work in your garage, the detail is amazing. Most people pay a shop to restore a car of this caliber....not you! And let's not forget that you are doing this in Sweden where it's difficult to get parts and services that you need to help you do the job correctly. I can't wait to see this car done, love the update too. My hat goes off to you bud!!! :prayer:

You need a time maching Ulf, then you can go back and get all the employees that built your car, bring them back and then have them assemble the completed car just the way they did in 1964/1965, with your details and their hands, the car would be like a time capsule and perfect!

Question, when you add the speedometer to the dash, will the mileage be 00,000?

You need a time maching Ulf, then you can go back and get all the employees that built your car, bring them back and then have them assemble the completed car just the way they did in 1964/1965, with your details and their hands, the car would be like a time capsule and perfect!

Question, when you add the speedometer to the dash, will the mileage be 00,000?

Keith! Actually I have never thought about it. I guess there are more then one options.

To me it would feel best to have the odometer on the same mileage as it when I bought it!

Second could be to have it on 00000 miles. It is restored to like new condition but it's still an old car!

Honestly I need to give it a thought!

What

This week I got a email from slantsixdan that in my opinion solved a mystery !

Read this;

Howdy, Ulf.

Look what I found in an old eBay auction. It's a 1965 Chrysler
(factory) aftermarket parts catalogue. See attached photo. Note the
steering wheel is listed as "Valiant and Dart all models", with just
one part number. That suggests it would not have had either the Dodge
Fratzog or the Valiant vee emblem in the middle. It's unfortunate we
see only the rear view and not the front view, but I bet this solves
the mystery of the plain black centre plate!

From this I'm pretty sure that they did offered a steering wheel as an aftermarket option. This also means that I need to find a new NOS center for my steering wheel!!

Thanks Dan for the input. Glady appriciated.

Attachments

• Steering wheel picture.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 658
the same picture is in the 64 offering

Attachments

• DSC02752.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 649
  • scan0011.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 662
Thanks for the check up! Ithink the steering wheel were for both cars!

Today I checked how the torsion bars turned out and man they look great!

The dripp marks are as they should. I startedwondering abiout the torsion bar boots. I need to locate a set of factory ones. As you see on the first picture the aftermarket Mopar boot has two rubber halfves molded together. The partnumber is casted in the wrong way too.The factory pieces were molded together around the largest diameter. As you see there is also a AU XX marking. Might be the supplier, I'm not sure.

If someone has a mint used boot for sale I would be more then happy to buy it. I have two aftermarket Mopar sets to trade with or to sell.

Thanks FABO

:coffee2:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 690
  • 003.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 680
  • 005.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 679
  • 006.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 675
  • 007.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 689
Also "Jockey caps" (because they only cover the nuts)

Dan! That's a good one!

This is the greenish color of the primer I have been talking about. I will drop it off at Mikaels place tomorrow so they can do the mixture.

This is were the stampings on the factory wheels are. In this case the primer was in great shape too, perfect for color match.

:happy1:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 654
  • 004.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 676
In the mail today arrived the valve steams for the Cragar wheels. This is how they looked back in 1965! In the same package came the NOS clips that holds the wiring harness inside the trunk between the tail lights!!

The paint shop called today and the olive green paint was ready!!

The torsion bars were marked with paint markings at one end. That was the end where the date codes are. The L and R end of the bars should be mounted into the lower control arms.

The right side had one paint splot about 10 inch from the end and the left side had two paint splots about 9 and 11 inches. That speeded up the process for the assembly line worker.

This is how it turned out!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 652
  • 002.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 633
  • 001.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 636
After going through the cigarette lighter I found out that there were two different versions!

Both seems to have been made by CUNO MERIDEN CT 12 V. It can be the manufacturers name in Connecticut but I'm not sure. There seems totwo different styles in 1965 and when I checked out on a 1966 dash I found out that I have the arly style.

The chrome is greta. There are some small grease that I can clean out by polishing it. The trim ring is in great shape and the think I can polish that one too.

The inside center section might be possible to glass bead to stock condition .

However the outer nut must have new finish!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 614
  • 005.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 608
  • 006.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 602
  • 008.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 631
  • 009.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 632
  • 010.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 610
Ulf, I have a NOS lighter package, I'll look to see if it has any of those part numbers or stampings.

Ulf, I have a NOS lighter package, I'll look to see if it has any of those part numbers or stampings.

Thanks Keith! Looking forward to hear your answer!

Today I glass beaded the bottompart of the lighter and it turned out great.I just needed some good cleaning. The outer nut just needed some cleaning with soap. This is how it turned out after the 30 minutes!

Yesterday I found ma company who reproduce ignition coils! Of cause they only have for 66 and up!!!!!! Here is the email I sent;

Hi Tom!

I'm restoring a 1965 Dart with 273 HP engine. I need a date coded ignition coil. The date code must be late 64 up to week 01 of 1965. My car was assebled in January 27th of 1965. What I have found out is that there were three different coils for 1965.

1. Prestolite coil part#200758

2. Chrysler coil part#2444241

3. Essex 67-160-4

Do you think you can make this coil with the correct code?

But after some email conversation I got this message;

Good Morning Ulf,

I am not sure where the information came from you provided below besides the one in the picture however; our data from Chrysler shows the following from the engineering documents and drawings they used to control the parts and track revisions history. The part number was 2444241. There were two suppliers until the 80’s and 90’s where by companies were bought and sold a number of times and all coil production was shifted outside of the country. Prestolite and Essex.

The short stubby coils were Prestolite. These coils seemed to only be used about 20% of the time. This is conjecture only. They also used a different bracket diameter to hold them on the manifold. We can’t make this one as it would require complete new tooling from the coil can to the high voltage tower to the Alkyd top and the complete revamping of the printing process / stamps to print them.…..Way too costly especially for the penetration / usage these had.

The long skinny type; Essex division of United Technologies Automotive was the other supplier. This is the one we make and seemed to command about 80% of the remaining production from about 64 or 65 cars thru the mid seventies.

Our Chrysler drawings for both coils clearly show these vendor numbers as you list below and the drawing for the 02444241 clearly shows first year used as 64 and a drawing date of 03-08-63 for the print. Makes sense for 64 first used.

Anyway here is our problem. The current printing you see on our coils is what was used from 66 (approximately) thru 71 in green ink. Below and above these year ranges we simply don’t have the ink stamps made up or the legends and character data to reprint them exact. There are three stamps that are used more or less. The main stamp with all the text, the Made in USA stamp, etc. and then the date code stamps. We print the first two in larger volumes then add the date codes in much smaller volumes.

Regarding the 64 and 65 ones, we were missing the details and your coil seems to be intact enough to use for that from the pictures. The later production 72 and up was the same problem and just did not have enough data to make them when we made the others. There has also not really been a demand for the older or later ones more or less. The problem is the engineering drawing is updated and revised so it shows only the last printed info when they discontinued buying the coil and Essex was sold off twice after that. The coil plant (I believe was in Nogales Arizona) was shut down and all info went with it to the scrap yard along with tooling and machinery. Other than extrapolating old info from old coils like yours as to what was printed back then, we don’t have the data used for printing.

We can print them with help from your original and the stamps made up by our stamp guys.

So from this I think I'm pretty close to finally get my coil!! :happy1:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 619
  • 004.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 595
  • 002.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 616
  • 003.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 589
Here is a picture showing the differencies between the newer ones and the older ones. This coil is from 1969 which is the same from 66 to 71.

Attachments

• R2444241.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 610
Of all suppliers that I have bought parts from I must mention Al at Valley Vintage. He is service minded, great knowledge and ships fast. Ordered late last week one set of torsion bar boots. They arrived today and they looks great. To add them on the torsion bar I used soap. After some work they were in place and looks factory correct!

Now the torsion bars are complete and ready for assemble.......! :happy1:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 557
  • 001.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 604
Last night I found the last of the four tail lights on my car.

When I checked the ones I have, I found out that for some strange reason all of them are marked by a marker pen!!!!!

The backside of the tail lights have some kind of finish. I'm not sure of it's pained or dipped. On a closer look I was wondering if it's cosmoline!!! On two of the tail lights the color is greenish and on one kind of goldish!

Does anyone have any info about this?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 551
  • 002.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 564
  • 003.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 538
If I recall correctly those reflectors are zinc die-cast ("Zamak" or "pot metal"). The greenish-gold finish is dichromate surface passivation, an anticorrosion treatment also commonly found on carburetors. Any carburetor restoration shop that properly recoats carburetor castings will be able to redo these, if you desire.

The markings are definitely not factory. They are the type of marking commonly found on a part sitting on a shelf at a wrecking yard or on a table at a swap meet. I don't know much Swedish; I get "Right-side inner" from "Höger inre" by myself and Google Translate helps me get "On deck lid" from "på luckan", but I have no idea what "Dart 65" might mean.
redbeard.gif

If I recall correctly those reflectors are zinc die-cast ("Zamak" or "pot metal"). The greenish-gold finish is dichromate surface passivation, an anticorrosion treatment also commonly found on carburetors. Any carburetor restoration shop that properly recoats carburetor castings will be able to redo these, if you desire.

The markings are definitely not factory. They are the type of marking commonly found on a part sitting on a shelf at a wrecking yard or on a table at a swap meet. I don't know much Swedish; I get "Right-side inner" from "Höger inre" by myself and Google Translate helps me get "On deck lid" from "på luckan", but I have no idea what "Dart 65" might mean.
redbeard.gif

Dan! Thanks for your knowledge. I will check with Eric about the finish. He might have an answer to me!!

You might end up as a Swedish teacher here! That would be alot of fun and we could look at some of the fantastic Mopars we have here in Sweden.

:burnout:

BTW a package arrived today so hopefully tomorrow I can pick it up from the postoffice.

:glasses7:

I'd probably make a decent English teacher, but [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE]this guy[/ame] would make a much better Swedish teacher.

Dan, LMFAO doesn't describe what I'm doing right now! tmm

-
Back