1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
I'm about to send a new package with bolt and nuts and stuff for new finish. The cover for the ash tray should be silver zinc. But what about the relay for the turn signal. Is this the way it should lock like? I bought this relay years ago but haven't seen a factory one. The ones seen here in Sweden have all been round! Any input?

Re the green paint on the clips, what type of paint should it be? I Think someone mentioned that for me but I have forget about it!!!

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 612
  • 001.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 599
  • 002.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 591
  • 004.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 617
  • 006.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 604
Round flasher is correct -- rectangular unit is a replacement. I am almost sure I have a NOS correct round one for you; send me mail. SSVDP beat me to re-supplying the link for the green zinc chromate primer. I used some of it this week (restoring 1950 range hood blower housing and grate) and the green is a shade or two less yellow than some of the greens I've seen on old parts; other old parts have had a green color pretty well identical to what's in the can.

Thanks slantsixdan and SSDVP for your help. I'll find out if it'spossible to buy them from that site!

Dan! I shoot you an email re the relay.

I was packing the chrome stuff that needs to be rechrome today when I found outthat the housing with the PRND21 is casted in the plastic cover. How can I make that one new? Is there some special polish to use?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 594
  • 002.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 577
There are lots of plastic polishes on the market. The ones I tend to use are the 3-stage Novus ones (see here) — you don't necessarily need to use the heavy-scratch remover, if your workpiece doesn't have heavy scratching.

Thanks Dan! I will check into that! My friend Johan and his wife stopped by today and took thelens with them back home.I'll see what he comes up with!

SSVDP and slantsixdan! Thanks for the link! I was able to buy the spray can today with the green zinc spray!

I found out the hard way today that the console is casted with in color in the mix!

That means that I'm looking for a mint used gold console. Can't paint it! It will look like crap compare to assembly line standard!

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 574
  • 002.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 595
  • 001.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 569
After a good glass beading the housing was in excellent condition. The masking that the factory did was not 100% so I didn't do it 100% either!

To get the right finish I used white paint for headers. Turned out great!

The blue lens inside was in greasy condition but turned out like new. Now I just wonder how the clear plastic lens that Johan was trying on turned out?Time will tell!

The holder for the turn signal relay seems to have that greenish color that I was able to buy! Glass beading and a new finish is all that it takes!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 575
  • 002.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 563
  • 003.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 571
  • 004.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 573
I tried to get the housing and lens back together tonight! Actually I have never tried to polish a lens Before but after 30 minutes it looked pretty good.I will see what my friend Johan does to that lens. He seems to have gone through some kind of education for that! He has always super results.

Hopefully I might be able to pick up the decals for the wiring harness tomorrow!

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 532
  • 001.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 538
A couple of weeks ago I searched through my parts and found a mint condition fuel filler neck. I dropped it of to a friend of mine who boiled away all the paint, grease and the top coat led. I picked up the fuel filler neck today. It was absolutly in mint condition. The surface was as new.

Sorry for me that I didn't check the filler hole in the neck! What a mess!! So now I need another fuel filler neck to do the same procedure. I guess that you never stop learning!

Compare to the one on my convertible.......

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 511
  • 005.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 505
  • 004.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 510
  • 003.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 519
  • 002.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 517
  • 001.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 506
Errr…you are planning to NiTerne-plate the filler neck, right? In your photos it looks like bare steel.

Dan, only you would know about that top secret plating process for the fuel filler tube. LOL

Dan, only you would know about that top secret plating process for the fuel filler tube. LOL

tmm! You're so right! He has a big knowledge about alot of things that the average Anderson doesn't know so much about.

Dan! Cheating is not an option.....! LOL Assembly line correct is my motto!

After I have checked with the only ones that does that coating in UK I must find a US company to do it! They just did industrial parts in UK!

So if some one has information on where to get Ni-therne coating, please let me know! From what I see it's gotta be a US Company that can provide the service.

After searching my brother in laws stash of part I was able tyo find a mint fuel filler tube. Hopefully it turns out as good as the other one.

I got a package on last Friday with assembly line tie rod ends. They even had the paint spolt still in place. I know from 1968 and up Chrysler twisted of the zirk fitting at the assembly line so the dealership should change them while doing service prep.

I have bought several tie rod ends, both outer and inner, and the ones that I have mounted(the best ones) have zirk fittings on three of them and one does not!

My question is when Chrysler changed to zirk fittings (even if they was twisted off) on assembly line tie rod ends?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 468
  • 002.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 463
4 years ago I vent to the Mopar Nationals and had a blast. During those Days I was able to buy a paper clip that should be used under the hood. The issue here is that I can't remember where it was located!

My thoughts goes to the alternator or the alternator relay. Does anyone have the info for 1965 Dart?

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 415
I'm guessing it was attached to one of the mounting bolts at the voltage regulator.

It's slipped over the regulator end of the wire that connects to the "IGN" terminal of the voltage regulator. The round notch in the end hugs the nut at the base of the "IGN" terminal.

Thanks Don and Dan for your input. Now I know where to put it! Hats off!

Today the Printing Company called me and said the decals for the wiring harness was ready.I stoped by on my way home and I was really satiesfied with their work.

After some close examination I found out that I can't use a sizzor to cut the tejp decals. The manufacturer used a tejp dispencer. After some explanation about the importancxe of having the marks from the tejp dispencer I took Gunillas dispencer from her desk and used it in my shop. Turned out sweet!!

The first wiring harness was the one I got today from slantsixdan. And I must say that the quality of the turn signal switch is great. I reused some mint tejp for the harness without glue and ended the whole thing with the tejp decal. Like new!

Next off was the wiring harness for the shifting mecanism dial. At that end was the same tejp as we used on the hockey sticks when we was kids! I just ended the whole thing with the right tejp decal.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 398
  • 009.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 386
  • 005.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 391
  • 004.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 392
  • 006.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 379
  • 007.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 388
  • 001.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 403
Glad you like the turn signal switch -- I'm happy with 'em too.

(I couldn't figure out what "tejp" means until I saw the dispenser and realised it's pronounced the same way over there as it is over here, only we spell it "tape"!
redbeard.gif
)

(I couldn't figure out what "tejp" means until I saw the dispenser and realised it's pronounced the same way over there as it is over here, only we spell it "tape"!
redbeard.gif
)

I'm glad you mentioned that Dan! I was trying to figure that out myself. lol

Fantastic detail work as always, 65dartcharger! :thumbup:

Dallas

Sorry that I mixed up tape and tejp! LOL

Tonight I was able to get the front cover of the ash tray!

There seems to have been a special way to do this one complete.

First of all the ash tray steel is painted the same color as the instrument panel. After that the chrome front was added with one screw towards the chrome cover. Finally the silver zinc tray was mounted with the last two screws against the chrome cover and finally the four rivets was put in place. Whola! You have your ash tray!!

I used a grinder to get rid of the rivets and now it is ready for glass beading before the top coat gets there

Also got some great info from PPG in US. We might be able to get "old" gold metallic paint for the interior. The one that don't needs clear coat!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 340
  • 003.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 354
The next fuel filler tube Ifound was in very good condition. At least before the glass beading! After the glass beading it was even better!!

The beginning on the filler tube that goes towards the fuel cap was in superb condition without any scraps. The tube was dent free but in the lower side of the rubber grommet on the trunk floor was a small dent that I could massage out so you can't see any tracks of it!

Now I just need to find a supplier for ni-therne coating!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 360
  • 001.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 349
Great work and great info in this build thread.
I marvel at the level of detail and quality - thanks for sharing all of this with us.

Great work and great info in this build thread.
I marvel at the level of detail and quality - thanks for sharing all of this with us.

Glad you appriciate the work.

On my old Power steering pump there were a yellow paint splot. I have a bad Picture of it when I torned it down. However back in 2009 when I was at the Mopar Nats I found this 1965 Coronet 500 that had the same paint markings. Have anybody else seen this paint markings on the power steering pump?

I did a new stamp that I will use to make the markings the correct way.

Attachments

• USA resa 2009 del 2 010.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 315
  • 003.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 339
The paint process is getting closer and closer.

Today I recieved the package from PPG with the paint in two spray cans and two test pieces!!

The paint was very nice. The gold metallic for the interior was dead on. The yellow exterior paint was a little tricky! To me I think it looks a little more greenish compare to my untouched piece of metal.

1. Can color get another luster over the years?
2. The later metallic seems to have a little more metallic in it compare to orginal. Does anyone have any comment or knowledge about that?
3. I don't know how they mixed paint back in the days. Did for example all yellow painted cars had the exactly the same color if you compared them?

Any help is greatly appriciated!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 002.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 003.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 004.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 300
-
Back