1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Thanks guys! I will continue the paint work later and do the trunk lid right. I have almost drilled all the holes when I all of a sudden remembered that the trunk lid has the center holes covered by some kind of black tejp. It looks like a paper tejp.

Does anyone know where to get it?

Now is probably not the time to mention this, but wouldn't you have been better off to only drill the holes you need? Yes, I know "It wouldn't be factory", but as you've pointed out in other postings, those holes are nothing but a leak path to provide rust an opportunity to grow and spread.

If you've already drilled these holes, a small dab of sealer in each one before you put the tape on will help with the rust issue. Remember Chrysler was out to use the cheapest material they could, particularly for something that wouldn't have been seen by the customer. What you're probably looking for is something like cloth hockey stick tape.

Now is probably not the time to mention this, but wouldn't you have been better off to only drill the holes you need? Yes, I know "It wouldn't be factory", but as you've pointed out in other postings, those holes are nothing but a leak path to provide rust an opportunity to grow and spread.

If you've already drilled these holes, a small dab of sealer in each one before you put the tape on will help with the rust issue. Remember Chrysler was out to use the cheapest material they could, particularly for something that wouldn't have been seen by the customer. What you're probably looking for is something like cloth hockey stick tape.

Kevin!

No worries! The trunk lid came orginally with holes just for the letters for the basic Dart. There were centered between the tail lights. If you added the trunk lid car for a Dart 270 you used the centered holes for the letters and you had the drill the holes for the upper and lower moulding. Finally if you had a GT you had the add the holes above the upper moulding. But for the cenetered holes you had to add a piece of tejp.

I was wondering about the rear exhaust hanger and today I think I solved the problem. The tail pipe that goes over the rear end is put into the flange at the end of the muffler. For keeping the system under the car during assembly process without falling down the exhaust hanger was mounted the way I hold it. THe U-bolt was mounted on the flange and the exhaust hanger was mounted to the tail pipe.

Any comments?

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 397
  • 002.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 400
  • 001.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 404
Kevin!

No worries! The trunk lid came orginally with holes just for the letters for the basic Dart. There were centered between the tail lights. If you added the trunk lid car for a Dart 270 you used the centered holes for the letters and you had the drill the holes for the upper and lower moulding. Finally if you had a GT you had the add the holes above the upper moulding. But for the cenetered holes you had to add a piece of tejp.

I just took a look at my original GT convertible trunk lid and the only holes it has is the ones for the GT-specific trim. There's no evidence of any other holes being welded shut. My GT was assembled in Detroit.

Kevin!

I was wondering about the rear exhaust hanger and today I think I solved the problem. The tail pipe that goes over the rear end is put into the flange at the end of the muffler. For keeping the system under the car during assembly process without falling down the exhaust hanger was mounted the way I hold it. THe U-bolt was mounted on the flange and the exhaust hanger was mounted to the tail pipe.

Any comments?

Wouldn't the clamp have gone through the holes in the hanger? If I'm understanding you correctly, will you have two clamps together? The rear axle, springs and shocks would have been subassembled and stuffed under the car as a unit, I believe. I'm thinking the exhaust pipes would have been done the same way?

I just took a look at my original GT convertible trunk lid and the only holes it has is the ones for the GT-specific trim. There's no evidence of any other holes being welded shut. My GT was assembled in Detroit.

My old trunk had holes for all models! Assembled in Los Angeles! Can it have been a chenge in between the assembly plants?

kmccabe56 Quote: Wouldn't the clamp have gone through the holes in the hanger? If I'm understanding you correctly, will you have two clamps together? The rear axle, springs and shocks would have been subassembled and stuffed under the car as a unit, I believe. I'm thinking the exhaust pipes would have been done the same way?

There should be two clamps. My guess is that the hanger was the first one that was bolted to the body. After that the assembly staff added the center pipe and the muffler. Then they added the tail pipe through the hole in the hanger so they could do the last piece, the resonator and bolt that to the frame. That should mean that there is one clamp in front of the muffler, one clamp at the end of the muffler, the clamp from the exhaust hanger, the saddle clamp for the tail pipe and resonator and finally the little rubber hanger holding the resonator.

This is just my thoughts! Anyone out there might have some valuable information.

My old trunk had holes for all models! Assembled in Los Angeles! Can it have been a chenge in between the assembly plants?

kmccabe56 Quote: Wouldn't the clamp have gone through the holes in the hanger? If I'm understanding you correctly, will you have two clamps together? The rear axle, springs and shocks would have been subassembled and stuffed under the car as a unit, I believe. I'm thinking the exhaust pipes would have been done the same way?

There should be two clamps. My guess is that the hanger was the first one that was bolted to the body. After that the assembly staff added the center pipe and the muffler. Then they added the tail pipe through the hole in the hanger so they could do the last piece, the resonator and bolt that to the frame. That should mean that there is one clamp in front of the muffler, one clamp at the end of the muffler, the clamp from the exhaust hanger, the saddle clamp for the tail pipe and resonator and finally the little rubber hanger holding the resonator.

This is just my thoughts! Anyone out there might have some valuable information.

I'll certainly stand to be corrected, but I'm still going with one clamp at the rear of the muffler that takes care of the muffler, tail pipe and hanger altogether. Otherwise, I'm with you 100%

What does the parts book have to say?

Or maybe a replacement trunk lid installed at some point in the car's life before you bought it?

According to the partsbook there is only one partnumber for the trunk lid! In that cade there would be three part numbrrs. But stranger things has happened!

According to the partsbook there is only one partnumber for the trunk lid! In that cade there would be three part numbrrs.

I don't think that's a reasonable guess, and here's why: Yes, the FPC lists only one part number for each of the door shells, each of the door repair panels, the left and right front fenders, the rear quarter repair panels, the roof repair panels, and the trunk lid, per type of car. That is: there's only one left front door shell for all 4-door '65 Darts and Valiants. There's only one right front fender for all '65 Darts. There's only one trunk lid for all '65 Darts. There's only one left quarter repair panel for all '65 Dart 2-door hardtops, only one for all '65 Dart 2-door sedans, only one for all '65 Dart 4-doors, only one for all '65 Dart wagons. Only one roof repair panel for all '65 Darts except wagons, only one for all '65 Valiants except Barracuda and wagon, only one for all '65 Dart and Valiant wagons. And so on. Each of these parts would have different trim applied depending on whether the car was a Valiant V-100, Valiant V-200, Valiant Signet, Dart 170, Dart 270, or Dart GT. In some cases, the holes not needed for a particular car would be invisible behind that car's trim -- such as the holes for the trunk lid "D O D G E" letters on a Dart 170/270 being covered by the trim panel on a Dart GT. But in other cases, the holes not needed for a particular car would be exposed and visible -- such as the holes for the trunk lid "D O D G E" letters on a Dart GT being unused and exposed on a Dart 170/270. No way would that fly, having unused exposed holes like that. Definitely not the way it was done.

I think my guess is more reasonable: At the factory, the trunk lid for any given car was drilled only for the trim that would go on that car. Service replacement trunk lids were to be drilled by the installer. And a used trunk lid with unneeded holes that would be invisible once the car's trim was in place—such as a 170/270 trunk lid being installed on a GT—might very well have had random tape applied by whoever was doing the repair work on the car in 1970 or 1980 or 1990 or whenever it was done.

I don't think that's a reasonable guess, and here's why: Yes, the FPC lists only one part number for each of the door shells, each of the door repair panels, the left and right front fenders, the rear quarter repair panels, the roof repair panels, and the trunk lid, per type of car. That is: there's only one left front door shell for all 4-door '65 Darts and Valiants. There's only one right front fender for all '65 Darts. There's only one trunk lid for all '65 Darts. There's only one left quarter repair panel for all '65 Dart 2-door hardtops, only one for all '65 Dart 2-door sedans, only one for all '65 Dart 4-doors, only one for all '65 Dart wagons. Only one roof repair panel for all '65 Darts except wagons, only one for all '65 Valiants except Barracuda and wagon, only one for all '65 Dart and Valiant wagons. And so on. Each of these parts would have different trim applied depending on whether the car was a Valiant V-100, Valiant V-200, Valiant Signet, Dart 170, Dart 270, or Dart GT. In some cases, the holes not needed for a particular car would be invisible behind that car's trim -- such as the holes for the trunk lid "D O D G E" letters on a Dart 170/270 being covered by the trim panel on a Dart GT. But in other cases, the holes not needed for a particular car would be exposed and visible -- such as the holes for the trunk lid "D O D G E" letters on a Dart GT being unused and exposed on a Dart 170/270. No way would that fly, having unused exposed holes like that. Definitely not the way it was done.

I think my guess is more reasonable: At the factory, the trunk lid for any given car was drilled only for the trim that would go on that car. Service replacement trunk lids were to be drilled by the installer. And a used trunk lid with unneeded holes that would be invisible once the car's trim was in place—such as a 170/270 trunk lid being installed on a GT—might very well have had random tape applied by whoever was doing the repair work on the car in 1970 or 1980 or 1990 or whenever it was done.

Dan! In general I think you definitely right. Re the trunk lids all 65 Dart GTs I have owned over the years (9 cars) all of them had the black tejp under the trunk moulding. Those cars were assembled both in Los Angeles as well as Hamtramck.

Re the assembly staff I think they had one model for Dart, one for Dart 270 and one for GT. But if those was out of stock they took a trunk that was spare part. That's the reason for holes just for the centered letters! That could not be applayed to the assembly line work. That would be too time consuming!

Dan! In general I think you definitely right. Re the trunk lids all 65 Dart GTs I have owned over the years (9 cars) all of them had the black tejp under the trunk moulding. Those cars were assembled both in Los Angeles as well as Hamtramck.

Re the assembly staff I think they had one model for Dart, one for Dart 270 and one for GT. But if those was out of stock they took a trunk that was spare part. That's the reason for holes just for the centered letters! That could not be applayed to the assembly line work. That would be too time consuming!

I disagree. I'm more agreeing with Dan on this. The decklid on the assembly line would have no holes in it at all, except for tail lights. There would be fixtures for each model of Dart that would be placed up against the lid either while it sat in a holding fixture offline, or on the car on the line for the necessary holes to be drilled. "Maybe" all decklids had the holes through the center because the factory knew that those holes would either be used or hidden on every car, so it was cheaper to have the part come in with those holes present and just cover them with tape as a fast cheap sealing method. But even cars with the center moulding would have needed holes for the clips to hold the moulding in place. Either way, holes had to have been drilled at some point on any car except a base vehicle.

Ulf, I don't want to hold up your fantastic efforts, but I have a couple of questions.
How do you plan to repair and touch up the paint where you welded the dolly mounts and do you have a source for the tie rod rubber boots that up have installed? Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• 65ChargerWeld.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 386
  • 65ChargerTieRodBoot.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 385
Ulf, I don't want to hold up your fantastic efforts, but I have a couple of questions.
How do you plan to repair and touch up the paint where you welded the dolly mounts and do you have a source for the tie rod rubber boots that up have installed? Thanks for your time!

Hyper_pak!
I have saved paint for the spots where there is no paint and the welding area. Re the tie rod boots I bought them from Al at Valley Vintage.

He He Ulf you visit Big Power Meet this Year today i am at Eskilstuna stay for 9 days and now i am goin for 4 Day to Stockholm. It was great to meet you .

Uli!

Sorry but I will not be at this years Power Meet event. I'm heading to Carlisle next week with a Mopar buddy of mine. I will try to catch up all the small pieces that I'm missing! (10 pieces)

Yesterday I was able to drill the upper holes for the letters. Would it be better to get some paint inside the holes and then add some sealer for protection och should I just add the sealer protection?

I'd paint the drilled edges of any/all holes.

That's what I did Dan! Thanks! It feels better know that I know is done as it should be even if I should have drilled the holes Before the paint!! :banghead:

Today I got a surprice. I have bought several repopped arm rest pads but they haven't been good. Today arrived a complete set from Laysons in excellent condition. Thanks Rick! Now I just need to figure out how to make the hole for the ash tray! At least one step closer!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 335
That's what I did Dan! Thanks! It feels better know that I know is done as it should be even if I should have drilled the holes Before the paint!! :banghead:

Today I got a surprice. I have bought several repopped arm rest pads but they haven't been good. Today arrived a complete set from Laysons in excellent condition. Thanks Rick! Now I just need to figure out how to make the hole for the ash tray! At least one step closer!

Gee, Dan, look. Parts from Layson's that aren't crap. Whodathunkit?

Gee, Dan, look. Parts from Layson's that aren't crap. Whodathunkit?

A broken clock is right twice a day…
(That said: if they were correctly made for the application, they'd have ash tray holes. The original armrests did not have ash tray holes hacked out of them, they were made with the correctly sized and shaped holes.)

That looks like the door long armrest pad. Every long pad I've ever seen didn't have an ashtray. Now in the rear, ashtrays were on both sides.

Ulf

Is this a picture of a front door armrest? If so, can you post a picture of a rear armrest?

Curious minds want to know!

Ulf

Is this a picture of a front door armrest? If so, can you post a picture of a rear armrest?

Curious minds want to know!

Kevin! This picture is the rear armrest! I need to check into how the hole was done and how I can do the work so it looks like factory made.

Today I package that I've been searching for a long time showed up. The fender badges for the Dartcharger emblems. Chromed aluminium. Brinks Fornickling in Norrkoping did a superb job. The old one looks tired in comparison!!

I masked off the chrome ring and painted the black areas. The result was great.

After restoring the small clips that are put in the hole they look terrific once mounted on the fender!:glasses7:

For the trunk lid I have a question; I've seen different nuts on the lettersmounted on the trunk and the quarter panel. Does anyone have Picture on the inside of a trunk and quarter panel? What I know of the left ones are for the letters on the quarter panel and the right ones are for the trunk lid.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 284
  • 005.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 004.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 003.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 270
  • 002.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 281
  • 001.jpg