1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Those badges look fantastic! I agree with you: acorn (dome-top) nuts for the trunk lid letters, speed nuts for the quarter panel.

Those badges look fantastic! I agree with you: acorn (dome-top) nuts for the trunk lid letters, speed nuts for the quarter panel.

Today I did the left side. I think it turned out fantastic too Dan!

Now I need to find the letters DA and DART for the quarter panel and O for the trunk lid. They must be somewhere in the world..:! :banghead:

But I found some other letters with another type of nuts. Notsure of what they are called but they was on the letters from a LA produced Dart GT. IS there a catalog for nuts incl part numbers?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 548
  • 003.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 543
  • 002.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 557
  • 005.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 529
The flanged speed nuts are the only type I've encountered in this kind of application. Nuts with part numbers are in Section 18 of the factory parts catalogue, but not all of them are listed -- some of them are listed with the part they hold on.

The flanged speed nuts are the only type I've encountered in this kind of application. Nuts with part numbers are in Section 18 of the factory parts catalogue, but not all of them are listed -- some of them are listed with the part they hold on.

I think you might find what you need with a little careful reading of the Au-ve-co catalogue.

There's a reason they've been in business for 98 years.

I think you might find what you need with a little careful reading of the Au-ve-co catalogue.

There's a reason they've been in business for 98 years.

Thanks Kevin! I will search tomorrow.

Tonight I talked with Don (65 dartman) about a shifter while all of a sudden I was into the shifter plate. What kind of silver color did it have? Argent silver?

The hook for the jack assembly , does it go under the spare wheel plate of does it mounts on the jack while not in use?

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 514
  • 004.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 516
Er-ruhh…what colour paint do you have on that jack hook? It looks too yellow (might be just the light) and maybe too light of a grey. I've seen that hook and the operating part of the jack in grey or in black. The hook stows in the spare tire "stack" (tire/wheel, jack baseplate, etc.).

Er-ruhh…what colour paint do you have on that jack hook? It looks too yellow (might be just the light) and maybe too light of a grey. I've seen that hook and the operating part of the jack in grey or in black. The hook stows in the spare tire "stack" (tire/wheel, jack baseplate, etc.).

The paint was computer checked and is the samecolor as both this car and the convertible has. But I must admit Dan that I've seen more black hooks then gray ones!!

Today I did a restoration of a clamp holding the wiring harness beside the heater fan in the engine compartment. From what I know the end that was mounted with the nut holding the ring around the fan was painted black. So after going through some old ones I was sure.

Glass beading and then dipped in the Plasticode and it turned out like new. Bolted in place it looks like it should.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 515
  • 003.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 506
  • 002.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 498
  • 001.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 498
Ulf

Just checking the updates. You need to take car to ODF (Orsa Drag Fest) next year and drive on the strip. It would cool to see how fast an old new DartCharger would go and compare it to the factory specs.

Ulf

Just checking the updates. You need to take car to ODF (Orsa Drag Fest) next year and drive on the strip. It would cool to see how fast an old new DartCharger would go and compare it to the factory specs.

Yeah, that would be something! But with the condition it will ends up with I'm not so sure anymore! When will it be possible to drive it?

ANyway the iggest thing right now is to make upp all the plans for Chrysler at Carlisle NAtionals. It will be a great event and a great place to hopefully find the missing parts. Every here and there I find small tiny screws that are missing or some other item I need.

The outer upper stainless steel moulding on the rear glass will be a challenge. It seems like everybody uses a screwdriver to take of the mouldings. I've seen many mouldings with tracks of a screwdriver. I would lke to find an untouched car on a wrecking yard outside Carlisle where I can cut 2 inch inside the moulding so I can take off the moulding they way it was meant!

Anyone knowing of a good wrecking yard outside Carlslie?

Ulf

Yeah, that would be something! But with the condition it will ends up with I'm not so sure anymore! When will it be possible to drive it?

Anyway the iggest thing right now is to make upp all the plans for Chrysler at Carlisle Nationals. It will be a great event and a great place to hopefully find the missing parts. Every here and there I find small tiny screws that are missing or some other item I need.

The outer upper stainless steel moulding on the rear glass will be a challenge. It seems like everybody uses a screwdriver to take of the mouldings. I've seen many mouldings with tracks of a screwdriver. I would lke to find an untouched car on a wrecking yard outside Carlisle where I can cut 2 inch inside the moulding so I can take off the moulding they way it was meant!

Anyone knowing of a good wrecking yard outside Carlslie?

I'll ask around, but I think most of the cars have been scrapped with the metal going to a certain country. Post a general thread in regards to someone going to Carlise with the window and trim. You specifically want a '65 GT (date correct?). I'm thinking Arizona, CA or Texas.

Today the next shipment of letters showed up. They were in excellent condition. HOwever there was two "D" that was for a 1964 Dart grille that does not fit my car so they will be for sale. SO I need the D on the trunk as well!

The steering wheel is now in place. Looks super. This one turned out real well after Johan was able to help me with the horn buttom!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 465
  • 003.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 435
Over the years everybody has been telling me that the best spot to get hard-to-find stuff is Carlisle. I must admit that they were right!

Me and my friend has walked for 24 hours on 3 days and gound alot of goodies.NOS ashtray, trunk moulding, exhaust hamger ( two styled), clamp, one letyer. Now the shifter and shocks is in fokus!

Finding the exact parts you are looking for is a great feeling! Keep up the excellent work!

Ulf, once you've got the car finished, you need to think seriously about bringing it to the WPC National Meet. 2015 is in Springfield Ill. 2016 is in Maine. Yes the shipping charges will be HUGE, but there were some seriously magnificent restorations at this year's show PLUS, a 1965 Satellite with 460 miles on it, a '56 Imperial convertible, a '55 Imperial limo and on and on.....

I met him Carlisle this year and we discussed shows he ought to show the car at. I told him he needs to bring it to the AACA National show at Hershey in October as well as the Mopar Nationals and Carlisle.

I did not get to meet Ulf, but I could tell by the empty spaces in the vendor tables (where the 1965 Dodge Dart parts had been), where Ulf had been. Found a candy cane Ulf missed, and I was happy. It was great to meet all of the vendors. The car show was amazing. Nice /6 '65 dart on display.

Hershey is a nice show also, not to far from there.

There is way more meetings to attend in US compare to Sweden for sure. But first the car needs to be finished!

I checked some detailson the 65 A-bodies on the meet. They seems to have the anti-coolant decal as well the battery decal on about the same place. That gives some freedom. But does the stamped serial number needs to be seen?

Imet Dave and Tim at the meet too. On Daves Duster is a stamped master cylinder. Was there some stamps on the in 1965?

Attachments

• unnamed6.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 327
  • unnamed7.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 322
  • unnamed5.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 344
  • unnamed4.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 329
  • unnamed.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 329
There is way more meetings to attend in US compare to Sweden for sure. But first the car needs to be finished!

I checked some detailson the 65 A-bodies on the meet. They seems to have the anti-coolant decal as well the battery decal on about the same place. That gives some freedom. But does the stamped serial number needs to be seen?

Imet Dave and Tim at the meet too. On Daves Duster is a stamped master cylinder. Was there some stamps on the in 1965?

I'll stand to be corrected on this, but I don't believe the factory really had a preference as to whether or not the stamped serial number needed to be visible. There was a bit of latitude as to where the stamped number was placed, but there was more than likely some sort of callout in the graphics books as to where the labels were put. The stamped number was likely more for in-plant use during assembly, and for law enforcement if the car was stolen, but for the "normal" car purchaser, I don't believe it mattered whether the number could be seen or not.

Also I don't believe there were inspection stamps on single pot master cylinders in 1965. I think that began much later.

I'll stand to be corrected on this, but I don't believe the factory really had a preference as to whether or not the stamped serial number needed to be visible. There was a bit of latitude as to where the stamped number was placed, but there was more than likely some sort of callout in the graphics books as to where the labels were put. The stamped number was likely more for in-plant use during assembly, and for law enforcement if the car was stolen, but for the "normal" car purchaser, I don't believe it mattered whether the number could be seen or not.

Also I don't believe there were inspection stamps on single pot master cylinders in 1965. I think that began much later.

Thanks Kevin! I will try to add them soon.

On Carlisle I was able to get hold of factory exhaust hanger in two versions. It seems like they first used the old style used on B-bodies and later came a new model with different stamping on the mount tab. I also found a factory correct clamp so now I just need one clamp and I'm done!!

In Baltimore I bought a NOS trunk lid panel from a nice guy. I even had re-done the mounting screws!

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 342
  • 007.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 313
  • 006.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 330
  • 002.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 330
  • 001.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 346
While going through all the vendors places I was able to find assembly line brake hose for 1965 A and B-bodies! This is the way my old one looks. I have a NOS one but it doesn't has the old style date markings. They changed somewhere in November or December of 1964!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 300
  • 004.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 319
  • 005.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 339
After finding out that the shifter mecanism will be a big issue me and Johan decided that it was time to make a bigger job on the factory mecanism. We drilled out the rivets and disassembled the unit. Now some glass beading and then ship it to US for new finish. The shifter arm can be rechromed if not Dons will work!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 290
  • 002.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 003.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 292
-
Back