1965 MMP's Barracuda Hemi swap! The Ever Changing Build

-
Quick update: Planned on test starting the motor but life as it does happened and now I find myself after the thanksgiving holiday with nothing accomplished on the Barracuda. I spent the time rebuilding an A904 for my d100, and helping my boy with his bug build. Was going to barrow a oil priming setup for the motor and broke down and ordered what I needed instead. So next week I should have a pressurized tank/tool to prime the oil system in the hemi as well as a new pressurized setup for bleeding the brake system... inching away at this build... some uphill climes seem to go forever....

Okay so it been a minute. I've been having issue getting this motor to fire. I have fuel, spark and air.. I get popping and the occasional back fire.. everything seems to be working "except" my obd2 reader can not connect to the ecu? not sure why.. I have two trains of thoughts... 1. the cam is not right, chain loose or jumped a tooth what ever seems like a timing issue. B. ECU is dead... But I have fuel pump, injectors, throttle body moment, starter, and spark BUT the OBD2 reader cannot find the ECU... OR option III. I have an issue with both... ugh
So I'm going to tackle them both.. A few weeks ago I purchased a used 6.1 cam off another member here and since have ordered a set of non-mds lifter, new head bolts and mls gaskets at .070". I've received everything with exception of the head gaskets. Soon hopefully... As for the ecu I have another I can plug in and test but that's a whole nother issue in itself. Its become evident that I need to relocate the placement of the ecu to make it easer to deal with.. I've also been talking to Ryan from FlyinRyanPerformance about once I get the ecu to talk to the OBD2 reader he'll help be get my ecu wo's sorted...

I'll be honest this to me is the hardest part and is the reason for my procrastination. tearing the motor down an swapping everything not so much, the hidden Blackmagic they call EFI. I understand enough to get myself in way to deep and now I have to figure my way out of the rabbit hole...

I will post up any updates...

Last edited:
Okay so it been a minute. I've been having issue getting this motor to fire. I have fuel, spark and air.. I get popping and the occasional back fire.. everything seems to be working "except" my obd2 reader can not connect to the ecu? not sure why.. I have two trains of thoughts... 1. the cam is not right, chain loose or jumped a tooth what ever seems like a timing issue. B. ECU is dead... But I have fuel pump, injectors, throttle body moment, starter, and spark BUT the OBD2 reader cannot find the ECU... OR option III. I have an issue with both... ugh
So I'm going to tackle them both.. A few weeks ago I purchased a used 6.1 cam off another member here and since have ordered a set of non-mds lifter, new head bolts and mls gaskets at .070". I've received everything with exception of the head gaskets. Soon hopefully... As for the ecu I have another I can plug in and test but that's a whole nother issue in itself. Its become evident that I need to relocate the placement of the ecu to make it easer to deal with.. I've also been talking to Ryan from FlyinRyanPerformance about once I get the ecu to talk to the OBD2 reader he'll help be get my ecu wo's sorted...

I'll be honest this to me is the hardest part and is the reason for my procrastination. tearing the motor down an swapping everything not so much, the hidden Blackmagic they call EFI. I understand enough to get myself in way to deep and now I have to figure my way out of the rabbit hole...

I will post up any updates...
You might try changing your crank tooth setting on your initial data load. Mopar did some teeth changing mid year. I don’t remember now what year your Hemi is but if crank tooth is set wrong on data load the motor will give absolutely every indication it will start but won’t. Ask me how I know.

You might try changing your crank tooth setting on your initial data load. Mopar did some teeth changing mid year. I don’t remember now what year your Hemi is but if crank tooth is set wrong on data load the motor will give absolutely every indication it will start but won’t. Ask me how I know.
Well its a 32tooth setup and supposedly this computer is the has the correct setting for this setup BUT I can't get the damn thing to talk to my obd2 reader at the moment... ugh

-
Back