1966 Plymouth Valiant Wagon......Scary Canary

-

CUDAGUY

aka Prince Valiant
Reaction score
I bought this car from my former employer (Wildcat Autowrecking) nearly two years ago and have just now really had the chance to work on it. I will add more to a direction and discription later.

a quick vid......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtu4nFeyUnI"]YouTube- My 1966 Valiant station wagon project[/ame]

so, heres the DL....

66 Valiant 200 wagon

has a Twin, Hairy Canary, My 66 Cuda Formula S

had some encounter with a fire hydrant, hince the replaced doors and possable 1/4 panel

it has 160k on the clock and other than my addition of a performer intake and 600cfm carb has not been opened yet was very clean for the age/miles

has power steering, manual 10" drums, 7.25 and a 904

So far Ive added......

Performer intake
performer 600cfm carb
3" single exhaust, custom done by myself, including hand built muffler
14x5.5 steelies (Formula S spec)
Kingstar H714's, 215/70-14
hipro wheelcovers
converted to right hand lug studs/nuts
new fuel pump
small tach

Future plans include......

shift kit for the 904
KH discs (already have just not installed)
8.75 rear with 3.23 suregrip
power brakes
factory A/C
redoing interior in black
factory roof rack
swapping in my built 318 or updating the 273 to commando specs
fix rust and other body damage
probly coating it in DP-90 for now, should go well with all that stainless and chrome....paint later, yellow

Picture time!

valiant 006.jpg

valiant 007.jpg

valiant 008.jpg

valiant 009.jpg

valiant 010.jpg

valiant 011.jpg

valiant 012.jpg

valiant 014.jpg

valiant 015.jpg

I went to the store today and as Im walking to the wagon this really good looking redhead pulls up in a new gray avenger and parks right between my wagon and ANOTHER gray avenger. As Im unloading she walks up and asks me why I was driving such a POS. I had her turn around to look at her car and the one next to it and said 'thats why'......she proceded to play dumb then got all giddy and gave me her # and said 'maybe you can take me for a ride in that THING'. Who knew you could posably get booty with a 46 year old, 4 colored, rusty, and algae covered beater station wagon!:downtown:

Nice wagon. It's got the makings of a great sleeper.
Heres one of mine. '66 plain jane.
Can't decide whether to leave it a S6 or go 318. Someone down the line put KH disc on it already!

66Valiant.jpg

I went to the store today and as Im walking to the wagon this really good looking redhead pulls up in a new gray avenger and parks right between my wagon and ANOTHER gray avenger. As Im unloading she walks up and asks me why I was driving such a POS. I had her turn around to look at her car and the one next to it and said 'thats why'......she proceded to play dumb then got all giddy and gave me her # and said 'maybe you can take me for a ride in that THING'. Who knew you could posably get booty with a 46 year old, 4 colored, rusty, and algae covered beater station wagon!:downtown:

OK ... we're going to need confirmation (some how) for this one? ;)

OK ... we're going to need confirmation (some how) for this one? :wink:

yeah pics, videos:bootysha:

As a fellow wagon owner I can verify that this sort of thing happens all the time. (just backing you up here cudaguy)

Chicks dig wagons, they see it as a form of 'nesting', its even better if you can keep it neat looking. I used to do it all the time in my Dads 65 Comet wagon.....that was halfway decent looking.....and all one color.....and not covered in algae.....and not so loud it startled most people upon startup.8)

comet wagon.jpg

I might, I do have a well built (300-320 horse) 318 that is in Hairy Canary (yellow, 66 Cuda S) when I put the HO 273 back together (soon)

I also neglected to mention that I have an extra hood to cut (tunnel ram???) and 2, 14x7 and 2 14x8 slot mags that I may use. Ive been playing with a 70's street machine theme but I may throw in some airshocks (I even have a HiJacker decal, LOL) and give the treatment to my Dart if I keep it.

drove it to work for the first time today!

fixed the headlights (dimmer switch)
found a dash/cowl leak (killed the headlight/dimmer switches
bumped the timing from 2-deg to 10
found the stock(ish) 273 runs pretty dang strong (probly a low 16-second car)

I think Im just gonna throw on some #302 heads, stock 340/360 cam, add full hydraulic valvetrain, and electronic ignition and call the engine good to go.

It despreately needs a shift kit and rebuild, its slipping pretty heavy during shifts. Im gonna try to find an A998 (lower 1st gear) to rebuild for now with about a 2500 stall to go with the 3.23's in the rear now.

It also really needs some shocks, I will probly just use the old ones off the Cuda when I redo the suspension on it, they are still in OK shape.

Ok, Ive decided to swap in the 318 while Im updating the 273. HOWEVER, I atleast plan on more headwork (1.88/1.60 valves, better valve springs, more porting) a much bigger cam (something in the .580-.600 lift and 115* overlap range) and building some nasty lookin headers. I still cant decide if I should be looking for a tunnel ram, I DO already have a matching pair of edelbrock 600's and a hood to cut8)

any more sedate induction suggestions? Im shooting for 425-450 horsepower....

Just a little update.....26x9.5-14 Quick time's on 14x8 Indy mags.....:cheers:
I have a pair of 14x7's for the front but I think they are just to wide (they will fit but...) Im currently loking for a pair of 15x3's or 4's for the front in small bolt pattern. I will also settle for a pair of 14x5.5 Indy mags.

ford drags n stuff 030.jpg

ford drags n stuff 031.jpg

ford drags n stuff 032.jpg

Looking at that front end I think I want a 66 4 door Valiant for my donor car. I would put the whole front clip on there (maybe with Cuda grill inserts) and never have to worry about candy canes again.

swapped the outside mirror out with a good one
adjusted the timing/carb so it doesent run super rich anymore
cleaned up engine bay a bit
painted valvecovers and 'stock' air cleaner housing (sleeper style)
got both rear slots polished and slicks mounted
ran heater lines (after I froze by butt off during last weekends cruise)

pics tomorrow

also dropping off my 273hp block for the Cuda at the machine shop tomorrow....318 should be ready to swap in soon......mid-13's here I come!

Ok I got dizzy and feel down after the first trip around it, by the time I got back up it had slicks on it.....:cheers:

This project seems to be moving pretty quickly...atleast for me!

Picking up a drum to drum 8.75 for cheap this week, not sure of gears but I can change those! the only heavy duty suspension stuff Im missing now is a front swaybar setup. I will soon have the front discs on as well as the 8.75 rearend installed and the 318 pulled out of the Cuda and prepping it to go in. I need another oil pan though, I want to make a deep sump and refuse to pay out the butt for a new one.

Im gonna have to start a log for the Cuda as well, gonna start putting it back together and rebuild the commando motor.

some updated pics8)

Attachments

• general ongoings 015.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,442
  • general ongoings 022.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,470
  • general ongoings 023.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,455
  • general ongoings 028.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,490
  • general ongoings 025.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 1,487
  • general ongoings 024.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,506
  • general ongoings 027.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,439
  • general ongoings 031.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,423
Nice car wish I still had my "scary canary" 318,disc brakes southern US car. Everytime I think about it I want it back.

Attachments

• 2Waldo.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,891
-
Back