1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S Restoration

-
Back at the Cuda again!!!
A couple of things I has seen mentioned on the Holley Sniper forum was low voltage.
1. Low voltage on the +12V Key on feed to the sniper when cranking. Apparently anything below 11 volts causes problems on starting. I connected the IGN1 feed to the sniper feed and then cranked the engine. Sure enough, the voltage was below 11V. (The IGN1 also connects to the voltage regulator which pulls the voltage down)
I made a wiring mod to add a relay to ensure I had a >12V supply to the sniper as well as the voltage regulator.

2. The forum also mentioned low voltage conditions when idling with headlights and heater on etc. The stock alternator does not put out sufficient voltage under high load and idle speeds. I've now swapped out the original alternator for a Powermaster 7018. Powermaster 7018 Powermaster Retro Alternators | Summit Racing Hopefully that will solve this problem.

View attachment 1716058122

View attachment 1716058123

Hey RealWing,

Here's an interesting video on current draw/alternators/charging and voltage regulation.

Thought it might be of help.

Cheers!!

My 68 Formula S was sold to a friend of mine and when he got divorced, he went out to the garage, drained the oil and started it and held it to the floor till there a lot of little pieces left. Then he called the junk yard and they took it away. 340 4 speed with air. It was a hell of a car couldn't break it, never put a clutch in it. Easily put the speedo all the way around pass 0, 150 speedo.

My 68 Formula S was sold to a friend of mine and when he got divorced, he went out to the garage, drained the oil and started it and held it to the floor till there a lot of little pieces left. Then he called the junk yard and they took it away. 340 4 speed with air. It was a hell of a car couldn't break it, never put a clutch in it. Easily put the speedo all the way around pass 0, 150 speedo.
bet the junk yard didn't crush it though.

My fake Mopar green top battery. Actually an Exide MX24 AGM battery

IMG_0302.JPEG

IMG_0238.JPEG

Yes, that is a stick on decal. Smaller than the original script, so not quite correct. I spray painted the exide battery case black. I got it from Weskcar on e-Bay.
Jim

Back at the Cuda after a long delay due to family member health issues.
Had the headliner installed, but does not appear correct at the windshield gasket pinch areas. From my recollection of the original and factory drawing, it should not wrap around the pinch weld.

IMG_2229.jpeg

IMG_2230.jpeg

Had the headliner installed, but does not appear correct at the windshield gasket pinch areas. From my recollection of the original and factory drawing, it should not wrap around the pinch weld.

View attachment 1716286066

View attachment 1716286067
A heat gun and a new (i.e. sharp) razor should take car of that. Hopefully it's secured well on the inside.

View attachment 1716286066

View attachment 1716286067

Pretty sure you are correct.

The headliner is stretched and held by the lanced tabs piercing the headliner material.

Thanks guys. The After looking closely at the factory drawing and install instructions, it shows it secured by the barbs, plus it is glued along the frame where the barbs are located. Will have to peel it off and fix it on both front and rear windows. Mumble

Thanks guys. The After looking closely at the factory drawing and install instructions, it shows it secured by the barbs, plus it is glued along the frame where the barbs are located. Will have to peel it off and fix it on both front and rear windows. Mumble
Whoever installed it may have glued it there too. You may luck out. Either way, it shouldn't be too much work to remedy. Good luck!

Not an A Body story, but still kind of neat I think.
A car collector in London, Ontario flew Dennis Gage up for a cruise night in our small town (Kincardine) Ontario!! While he was here , myself and another ex nuclear plant executive took him on a tour of the. Bruce Power information centre. (8 nuclear reactors). He had lots of questions about the Canadian reactor design.
Found out he is a motorcycle guy as well as a car guy. He owns several BMW bikes. Great, down to earth guy and always interested in history of older cars.
Picture of myself and Dennis with my Superbird.
Jim

IMG_2207.jpeg

-
Back