1969 Daily Driver

-
Dart19666..... I’ve been enjoying reading your progress reports on your Slant6 Dart.you have a lot of good ideas for putting together what you want for a daily driver. As I said of my daily driver ‘70 Challenger with Slant6, I really enjoyed driving it on a daily basis. Basically a ‘70 Challenger which I improved reliability with that 6 under the hood. Starting with a Super Six 2bbl carb set-up, Mopar elect. ign. w/ orange box and Accel high output coil for spark reliability. Hooker 3 into 1 pavement dragger tubes, real dual 2 1/4” s/s exhaust w/ “H” pipe, 2 glasspak mufflers back to brite tips. Open element K&N air filter, 904 Auto. Trans. 8 3/4 742 case w/ 3.23 gear set. Big drum brakes all around.

View attachment 1715153055

View attachment 1715153056

Sounds like a great driver, I have all the parts for the new engine at the machine shop when it all comes back we'll be building a slant six all together. Super six, new custom cam from me "Crower"

Wow that rusty donor sure dont look too rusty to me. When you get ready to strip it out, theres a lot of metal i bet people will be looking gor out of it.

I have owned a few mopars with a buzzin half dozen. Very tough engine indeed. I like your thread. Subscribed

When I am done I will post away of what is left.

Shane I sent off a e-mail to you business address. Let me know if you need more info.

Ok so I have an update. The spare engine is at the machine shop. Looks like it has been rebuilt one time before so we went 0.060" over this time. So I made a custom 1/4 race cam for it. I have a super six going on it and going to raise the compression to 9.2-1. I have a friend that is going to clean up the ports and maybe we will flow them so we know what they flow. But here is the cam card for all to see. Ask questions if you like.

Camshafts | Connecting Rods | Roller Lifters | Rockers | Crankshafts | Pushrods | Clutches

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY........weeeeeeee and I get some car time. I am going to put this super six set up on and get the carb dialed in "or close" so when the new engine goes in I am only doing timing while breaking the cam. I went and surfaced the intake/exhaust manifold together so I am starting with a flat surface. Here are some pics and I will post some afters when done. Hopely today ha ha ha ha. The idea is to drive it to Crower tomorrow. Nothing like trial by fire I say.

dart27.jpg

dart28.jpg

dart29.jpg

dart30.jpg

I sent you a e-mail to you business address over a week ago. Never heard back.Guess you didn't get it.

The car drives light years better. Super six, hei, recurve the distributor wow what a difference. It is a real car that can be driven with other cars in traffic and freeway. It is 50 miles round trip to crower and it drove just like a new car should. Next is brakes.

I have not posted in a long while been super busy on the car and with life. I went full time at Crower, yeah me. I will be posting lots of pics this weekend of the brake conversion and rear suspension.

Last edited:
I have not posted in a long while been super busy on the car and with life. I went full time at Crower, yeah me. I will be posting lots of pics this weekend of the brake conversion and rear suspension.

Great thread! Can't wait to see what the new motor does for you.

So here are some pics of the front brakes and the brake booster that had to be modified so that it worked.......at all. Also pics of the rear springs with new shackles.

dart32.jpg

dart33.jpg

dart37.jpg

dart38.jpg

dart34.jpg

dart35.jpg

dart36.jpg

dart39.jpg

dart40.jpg

It has been a few months since there has been an engine update. The reason is because since these engines are almost indestructible getting usable cores has been quite a challenge. To date it has taken 4 complete engine to get a good block, heads, crank that will work with my torque converter, and 6 usable rods. Engine number one I got in trade for some crap laying around from LA area. That engine was on a test stand and it started and ran great. I pulled it apart and the only thing usable was three rods. The block had two sleeves in it, one bent rod, two spun rod bearings on different rods then the bent one, and a pretty nice sized crack in the combustion chamber more than likely from when rod kissed the head at some point. Should have known better looking back now because it had a high volume oil pump on it and light would slightly flicker at idle when I got it hot on the test stand. I just thought it was a clogged pick up screen.......yep that was not it. Engine number two was a basket case was a free bee and only good on that was the head. Complete destruction on the lower end, I could tell because there was a window on the block to look in and see the parts and pieces. This engine also started and ran, not very good but ran. Engine number three was in my 1967 dart that is the donor car for this project, the white car in some of the past pics. I did not want to use anything from this engine for two reasons 1. The AC in this car is still full, works great and is going to be the working unit for this project and its a pain the *** getting the engine out without breaking any of the seals. 2. Its a 1967 so the crank is different from a 1969 converter. I could always use the converter from the 1967 but then from there on out I am stuck with it and I have future plans that do involve a 1967 only crank flange. That being said and that I already knew it had a rod knock when I bought it the only thing I could use of of this engine is the block. I had the head checked and it was extra warped, almost a joke how bad it was 0.250" block would fit under it when laying on the bench. Also the engine had already been bored 0.030" over now they will clean up at 0.060". So update that gives me 3 rods, head and a block. Engine number four was in a pick your part sitting on the ground about to go into the metal crusher, I stopped them pulled pan, off with the head, and the servery says..............spun bearings on main and but got five rods out of it. Out of these rods only four were usable but that makes seven rods "One spare" so now everything is at the machine shop. Here are some pics.

dart9.jpg

dart11.jpg

dart10.jpg

dart12.jpg

The head has some work done to it, I have to keep telling myself "DAILY DRIVER................DAILY DRIVER" We cleaned up the ports and cut a relief for the valves. I have a before and after flow numbers but not with me here at Crower so I will post those later. But just those few things did make a difference.

Dude, you have had terrible luck finding engines. I have 3 good engines here in the garage...running 170, freshly built 225 short block and a running 225...Did not have any of the problems you have found on my last 4 slant builds.

sb

Dude, you have had terrible luck finding engines. I have 3 good engines here in the garage...running 170, freshly built 225 short block and a running 225...Did not have any of the problems you have found on my last 4 slant builds.

sb

Yeah it is what it is but it does suck. The correct way would have been pull the stock running engine in the dart currently and rebuild that. But I did not want the car down that long so I wanted to build one, have it on the stand, then do the old swap-a-roo in a weekend. I guess wishful thinking. But I can tell you the one problem with ever engine that has taken them out..........Fuel pump leaking fuel into the oil and thinning it out. Every single one had the same problem. So boys and girls change that fuel pump ha ha ha ha.

Yeah it is what it is but it does suck. The correct way would have been pull the stock running engine in the dart currently and rebuild that. But I did not want the car down that long so I wanted to build one, have it on the stand, then do the old swap-a-roo in a weekend. I guess wishful thinking. But I can tell you the one problem with ever engine that has taken them out..........Fuel pump leaking fuel into the oil and thinning it out. Every single one had the same problem. So boys and girls change that fuel pump ha ha ha ha.
Or block it off and run an electric pump.

But I can tell you the one problem with ever engine that has taken them out..........Fuel pump leaking fuel into the oil and thinning it out. Every single one had the same problem. So boys and girls change that fuel pump ha ha ha ha.

I have had this happen twice. Once back in college and now, the one that I am running in my 64 Valiant. I caught it just as I got it running.

sb

Or block it off and run an electric pump.

Oh that will happen in the very near future after more data is collected. Keep an eye on this post for many thing to come. When I have time I will be dropping tons of data, MPG, plugs, carb settings and much more.

Got Some head flow numbers........... now we did not hog the crap out of these heads at all, this is just one step bigger valve "1.77" Intake and 1.44"exhaust" and do a nice bowl clean up. I have to keep telling myself "DAILY DRIVER, DAILY DRIVER, DAILY DRIVER". To set up what we did the flow number before are stock valves, stock bore, and a head that has not been milled, in other words 100% stock from 1969. And we only went to 0.500" because Daily driver and did 0.450" lift because that is the lift I am going with.
In Ex
0.100" 49 32
0.200" 97 53
0.300" 128 67
0.400" 139 110
0.450" 144 114
0.500" 145 114

Now the next numbers are With bigger valves 1.77" intake and 1.44" exhaust some bowl work and the head milled 0.120" with a +0.060" bore 3.460". Hardened seats were installed.
In Ex
0.100" 71 40
0.200" 122 95
0.300" 156 146
0.400" 180 158
0.450" 183 160
0.500" 185 162

I wanted to also do an intake bolted on for both but I have a running car so it is what it is. That is what the heads flow. I have pics of the short block that I will be posting this weekend I am having timing issues but that is a whole other post on to its self. Now remember I know NOTHING about these engines this is my very first one ever.

Last edited:
That's a huge gain!

Pocket ported, milled and gasket matched mine but didn't do bigger valves. Next time!
Hoping to do some fun runs at Monster Mopar tomorrow.

-
Back