1969 Dart Pro touring daily driver **Crashed**

-
For a while after the crash I was not sure if I was going to fix the car and I didn't know much about wheel repair, I assumed the two damaged wheels were scrap so I sent one to Ireland to serve as my garden hose holder for the past two years.

After learning that repairing wheels is normal I sent the other wheel from Sweden to bring both to a local Irish shop (luckily things can be sent for free forth and back with work).

I should have taken better photos but both wheels were dented and one had horrible gouges. The repair shop did a great job welding and straightening though, I was yet again very pleasantly surprised with the bill which came to 200EUR! Replacing the two wheels (US Rambler mags) after all the shipping, VAT and customs in Europe would have cost 900EUR. They just need to be wet sanded and polished but its something to worry about down the line.

I also found a old photo pre crash showing the car and wheels before all the damage.

IMG_20240210_102447.jpg

IMG_20240210_091725.jpg

IMG_20240225_140206.jpg

IMG_20240225_140402.jpg

AAA Dart pre crash.JPG

Wow. Just stumbled across this thread today and read it from the beginning to end. Great job not giving up on this and keeping this build going. Looks like you should be able to finally start enjoying the car soon. Looking forward to seeing the car completed.

So a little catch up on the last couple of months, I got a new hose reel that came from a freinds friend
who hit a rock on his BMW E46 M3 and broke it. I also took a few days off work and flew from Ireland to Sweden to work on the car.

The plan of the trip was to make the car completely ready for engine where the biggest job was going through the front suspension again and then overcome
all the other things that inevitably go wrong and cannot be predicted.

The first step was to tow it up a small hill from storage to my dads garage which was available to work in. My sister who featured on page one
of this thread and now is pregnant gave me a hand to steer the car as it was being moved.

f603a821-53f2-4e85-8520-00957709cf36.jpeg

36c20d17-51c5-46c6-9f11-9ddc7c1e1e5d.jpg

9d27d3cb-7476-4f6f-b816-95ec421bd6c4.jpg

e86b0381-5d14-4c04-b743-8a34254debba.jpg

Towing dodge dart 1969.jpg

dodge dart 1969 on lift.jpg

The next step was to drop the fron suspension and paint it, this is the second time doing all of this so Im hoping this time will be the last!

The K-member and lower control arms were painted with a very durable paint called Temadur 20.
A thread for the steering box was damaged, something I skipped fixing when throwing the car together last time. I grinded down a sacrificial bolt and used it as a threading tool.
I also noticed that a brake line on a caliper was damaged in the crash which I had somehow not realized due to the rush when getting the car rolling last time, part of the uphill battle of not having normal access to the car.

69 Dart on lift.jpg

IMG_20240331_162043.jpg

Modified mopar k member.jpg

Dodge dart brake calipers.jpg

I found that original steering box weighed 15kg and the borgerson box 10kg, this will mean a whole 5kg or 11pounds weight saving up front which is great. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the car will feel with the 14:1 steering ratio, it should be a game changer.

The suspension parts were bought from Peter Bergman who I recommend buying from. His idler arm comes with a bearing which is very cool but I'm curious about how it will hold up over time to water and dirt.

IMG_20240401_090100.jpg

IMG_20240401_092905.jpg

IMG_20240401_113350.jpg

IMG_20240401_113604.jpg

I put a Borgeson steering box bought from Bergman.. i had to add a PS fluid cooler cause I would lose assist when headers heat soaked steering box. Also had to pull column out and re-orient steering wheel cause splines from steering shaft to box aren't keyed. Now that its all sorted out it is super nice. It does deliver on that modern car steering feel. And my PS is completely silent zero noise at all.

I put a Borgeson steering box bought from Bergman.. i had to add a PS fluid cooler cause I would lose assist when headers heat soaked steering box. Also had to pull column out and re-orient steering wheel cause splines from steering shaft to box aren't keyed. Now that its all sorted out it is super nice. It does deliver on that modern car steering feel. And my PS is completely silent zero noise at all.

I remember reading about your issues but didn't know that this was the cause. Any idea why this was not an problem with the original box, or did you go from manual to PS? I luckily got a cooler from Bergman but will certainly look out for similar symptoms.

I remember reading about your issues but didn't know that this was the cause. Any idea why this was not an problem with the original box, or did you go from manual to PS? I luckily got a cooler from Bergman but will certainly look out for similar symptoms.
I had manual steering before. Also forgot to mention first PS Pump stopped working and Bergman gave me another new one. Not sure if heat killed the first pump or not? So had a few challenges struggles but well worth the effort .

For the steering coupler I was going to get a universal joint to replace the old one with but Bergman said that the original design was far better, once I had it in hand I could see why, its precise and allows some chassis flex without the any risk of the steering binding. The steering column lined up well but not totally perfect, it seems like a normal thing though. I used the rubber boot solution instead of the original cover just so that it can all come apart again easily if need be.

The next surprise came when installing the torsion bars, they were now about 5mm or 0.2in too long. I didn't notice when making the car a roller last time as I never installed the clips. I made sure the lower control arms were the whole way forward and then tried to see if the K-member could be moved forward but found they were still too long. Since literarily every part had been changed (apart from the car and torsion bars) I figured it was a tolerance thing and removed some material from the front of the bars until the clips would fit snuggly.
The new lower control arm pivots and bushings seem more chunky than the old ones which should push the lower control arm and therefore torsion bar back, but it seems like this is not a common problem?

IMG_20240401_134034.jpg

IMG_20240401_135929.jpg

IMG_20240401_183959.jpg

IMG_20240402_174408.jpg

IMG_20240331_175346.jpg

IMG_20240401_164946.jpg

With the torsion bars fitting snug against the clip, if there is any flex, could it pop the clips out?
It's been a long time since I've swapped bars and don't remember the amount of spacing there was.
Keep up the great work!

With the torsion bars fitting snug against the clip, if there is any flex, could it pop the clips out?
It's been a long time since I've swapped bars and don't remember the amount of spacing there was.
Keep up the great work!
That's a good point, Ill keep an eye out for that.

When assembling it made me wonder what exactly is it that stops the lower control arms and torsion bars from gradually working their way back, I assume its just the weight of the car on them that stops this.

Now that you say that, I can't imagine that little wire clip holds the bars in place...but it does hold pistons pins in place. Maybe the hex the bar goes in is just a bit bigger and when the bar is adjusted, it locks the bar in place. Kinda like a mm nut in a fractional socket.

-
Back