1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
Old headers are pretty rusty and thin……..time to upgrade. Looking at TTI. I am going to give them a call today.
Are old headers 2" pipes 3" collectors? If so I´m interested. If you plan selling them i.e.
A coulple pics if possible, would be interesting.
Thanks

Are old headers 2" pipes 3" collectors? If so I´m interested. If you plan selling them i.e.
A coulple pics if possible, would be interesting.
Thanks
They are 2" pipes. My engine builder has them. For now, I am keeping all the old parts, I will keep you in mind.

IMG_8178.JPG

word of caution.....unless your Hemi is sitting in the exact position TTi specs, some mods will be required, mostly to clear steering and torsion bars. (BTW, I'm a TTi dealer and offer a 5% discount)

These are 2-1/8" primaries on The California Flash. I had to do a small ding for idler arm clearance. Originally had flanges but removed them to add turndowns.

Raw with clear satin hi-temp header paint

20221109_144901.jpg

word of caution.....unless your Hemi is sitting in the exact position TTi specs, some mods will be required, mostly to clear steering and torsion bars. (BTW, I'm a TTi dealer and offer a 5% discount)

These are 2-1/8" primaries on The California Flash. I had to do a small ding for idler arm clearance. Originally had flanges but removed them to add turndowns.

Raw with clear satin hi-temp header paint

View attachment 1716119276
Thanks, I saw the z-bar mod needs to be done as well. Do you have them in stock? 2 1/8 ceramic coated?

Another vote for TTI ceramic. I have them in my Scamp and they're awesome.

I wouldn't mess with the original headers. You spent all of this money to get this far, you don't want to be messing with 50 year old exhaust that will likely develop a crack and leak after a while.

20220811_203352.jpg

I wouldn't mess with the original headers. You spent all of this money to get this far, you don't want to be messing with 50 year old exhaust that will likely develop a crack and leak after a while.

Thanks, my thoughts exactly.
:thumbsup:

View attachment 1716119301
Man that is clean :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, I saw the z-bar mod needs to be done as well. Do you have them in stock? 2 1/8 ceramic coated?

out of the box ...no mods to headers except a small dent (clearance issue) needed for the idler to pass by. I used TTi Z bar also. Small mod to the Z bar for heim required for the restoration. I wanted it as built in 1975.

I drop ship them from TTi in California....whatever TTi list is (based on desired finish) minus 5% plus shipping ($106 to your door)

credit cards accepted over the phone..

I think with a 426 in a Dart there aren't many that would not need mods, correct?

When I did this restoration I placed the Hemi exactly where it was placed when built by the original elephant ear mounts. I was prepared to have to cut the daylights out of the headers to even get close, however I was pleasantly surprised by what very little I did.

It was only after I had them on the car that I checked the TTi specs (link below). Got lucky I guess.

https://www.ttiexhaust.com/Classics-Hdr/Hemi218A/Req-Engine-Location_tti.jpg

I have elephant ear plates already welded in from the original installation my FIL did, so those won’t be moving………..headers will fit with some finesse I am sure.

I have elephant ear plates already welded in from the original installation my FIL did, so those won’t be moving………..headers will fit with some finesse I am sure.
We can easily move them as required, no big deal

I can tell you have been there. I would much rather massage or build new motor plates /elephant ears than cut / pound / finesse a new set of headers. Just my personal opinion / advise, I'm sure others may vary.

Last edited:

I can tell you have been there. I would much rather massage or build new motor plates /elephant ears that cut / pound / finesse a new set of headers. Just my personal opinion / advise, I'm sure others may vary.
Thanks! Great advice and the exact reason I have someone much more knowledgeable helping me with this stuff.

Thank you for sharing. Stories like this are what make the hobby live on. I hope you’ll continue to share the progress of your FIL’s legend as both live on with all of us. Do you have any pics of your FIL in his youth with his pride and joy that you can share.
The car definitely went to the right person/care taker. Drive it and share it with the world.
IMO it needs to go on display in 2024 Chrysler’s at Carlisle.
Absolutely Awesome! Thanks again for sharing!

Thank you for sharing. Stories like this are what make the hobby live on. I hope you’ll continue to share the progress of your FIL’s legend as both live on with all of us. Do you have any pics of your FIL in his youth with his pride and joy that you can share.
The car definitely went to the right person/care taker. Drive it and share it with the world.
IMO it needs to go on display in 2024 Chrysler’s at Carlisle.
Absolutely Awesome! Thanks again for sharing!
Thank you! The only pictures we were able to find were of the engine getting put in the car and some driveway pictures. I have already registered for next year at Carlisle :thumbsup:

Thanks! Great advice and the exact reason I have someone much more knowledgeable helping me with this stuff.

don't worry, by the time you have this Hemified hot rod on the road you will be an expert.

Last edited:
-
Back