1969 Race Dart w/ 426 Hemi- garaged for 45+ years

-
"And I will NEVER build another engine or car for anyone associated with this site after this."
I hate it that you have come to this conclusion. Seems like this whole situation could have been avoided by better communication on both sides all through the process. You expected more compensation and Scott was naïve about the cost of such a project.
The work was exemplary and it turned out very nice. I know Scott is proud.
That said, I can't see how the site has anything to do with it?

I realize I shouldn't have posted about this, it's just been bothering me for a long time. Bottom line is, the car is done, the customer is happy, end of story. My apologies to all you guys. Carry on!

I realize I shouldn't have posted about this, it's just been bothering me for a long time. Bottom line is, the car is done, the customer is happy, end of story. My apologies to all you guys. Carry on!
Sean, I hope you stick around. Your knowledge and wisdom is greatly appreciated. Don't let a few bad apples keep you away from sharing.

Bill

Car should not have been released until you were paid for work done. You should have held car until you were paid your due. Was a written agreement sign ahead of time? Did you keep a detailed list of time and materials?

And unless someone has actually done the work you did, which was extensive, and in very short time, and of high quality, requiring extensive skill knowledge, a customer is not going to have a clue. Should not be a surprise customer doesn't have a clue, thats a given, and should be assumed.

The admin over on autobody101 he bills monthly for time materials. And when customers don't pay its a stop work. So strategies to manage risk, minimize losses, and manage customers expectations need to be done.
Really there was no one to blame but myself. I didn't document the time properly, and kinda screwed myself as a result. NOT Scott's fault, just frustrated at myself, really.

Really there was no one to blame but myself. I didn't document the time properly, and kinda screwed myself as a result. NOT Scott's fault, just frustrated at myself, really.
you obviously weren't having a dig at scott, that's clear. almost every post on the subject you say he's a good guy and it's not his fault. seems it was just a mis communication issue going on through the project. i often do more than i'm asked on customers cars even though i know i won't get extra. i find it's a case of ''i may as well just do that while i'm here'' so it's a better job. if you do that too then we're our own worst enemies, lol.
neil.

Don't beat yourself up. You showed us all what a first class top of the line high skilled craftsmanship looks like. You show us all how a best of the best shop delivers. You showed you are a first class shop worthy of everyone's respect. Your awesome and should be very proud. Maybe customer management could use some improvements and we know you will adjust and become an even better shop.

I got a local one person body shop guy who has painted 3 non-mopar project cars for me. Guy has 30 years experience he is the best. I ALWAYS give him couple extra hundred above his asking price. Now he shut shop down cause tired of dealing with *** hole customers. But guess what? When I called and asked can he paint my last project car guy said for me yes. Other people he says no tells them shop closed.

Good shops are scarce nearly impossible to find. Take care of the shops, feed them good, and they will move you to the front of the line if/when the need arises. Screw them over, short change, burn bridge your screwed cause you can't find the good shops anymore.
Absolutely can't agree more.

I've been a body and paint guy all my life and I understand the frustration. Do the best you can and get minimum wage for all the work you do. Your lucky really sir your name is on that sweet Dart and none of us will think any different in that you're one of the best. I'll see that Dart this weekend and I'm sure I'll slobber all over it wishing it was mine.

Sorry, but you just muddied up a wonderful thread about the revival of a Hemi car and the owner of the cars reputation. You took on the job, took payment and released the car. All apparently happy until you sat back and gave it some thought. Not the owners problem. I've done dozens of aircraft restorations and a few car restorations. Not proud to say it, but I own a 69 Swinger because one job went sideways, but it is what it is and they got more money than they probably should have when they couldn't pay the bill during covid and I paid THEM the difference between what was owed and appraised value.

Last edited:
Been out for a bit putting my coffee getter back together.......what did I miss?
Well, I thought I would update the thread a bit, and highlight my shortcomings of keeping track of my labor hours. I, like many others, got caught up in the "coolness" of the build, and got all excited, almost forgetting I'm running a actual business. When I discussed the final cost with scott, he expressed that it was more than he expected, and could I take less for the work. I agreed, cause for sure, hes a damn nice guy, and I got nothing negative to say about him. After going over my notes on it, I realised how short I sold my shops work, and i guess just felt frustrated. My biggest mistake was expressing that here, as people like dadsbee want to take shots at me over it.

as people like dadsbee want to take shots at me over it.
Nobody is taking shots, just stating facts of operating a business. You yourself are admittingly running a business and accepted the situation as it happened. Then you came out of the wood work, after almost a year, to cast a shadow on Scott's reputation. Why tarnish an otherwise great thread, when not he... but you.. apparently fawked up the bill. You then let him take the car home, should be the end of story.

Well, I thought I would update the thread a bit, and highlight my shortcomings of keeping track of my labor hours. I, like many others, got caught up in the "coolness" of the build, and got all excited, almost forgetting I'm running a actual business. When I discussed the final cost with scott, he expressed that it was more than he expected, and could I take less for the work. I agreed, cause for sure, hes a damn nice guy, and I got nothing negative to say about him. After going over my notes on it, I realised how short I sold my shops work, and i guess just felt frustrated. My biggest mistake was expressing that here, as people like dadsbee want to take shots at me over it.
Story of my life. Especially when I was sent to jobsites to help out and find other subs have been there since the start of the job and they make double of what my rates were:BangHead::lol:

What was he expecting to pay for all of that work. Was he thinking it was being done out of the goodness of Sean's heart like some sort of charity case or homie hookup?

OK, how far do I have to go back to get to the beginning of this discussion. Like a few have mentioned, someone muddied up someone else's thread. I have been busy elsewhere and haven't followed along very closely.

Thanks for the reply and I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, A lot of us have PhD's by learning from our mistakes.

I still consider this Mopar site a virtual garage where we hang out, bullshit and bench race. I could care less who is butt hurt as long as it ain't me....and that goes for everybody. Enjoy the ride, we only get one.

Mopar to ya'
Denny

Last edited:
Nobody is taking shots, just stating facts of operating a business. You yourself are admittingly running a business and accepted the situation as it happened. Then you came out of the wood work, after almost a year, to cast a shadow on Scott's reputation. Why tarnish an otherwise great thread, when not he... but you.. apparently fawked up the bill. You then let him take the car home, should be the end of story.
Just for clarification, it's only been a few weeks, not "out of the woodwork after a year"

-
Back