1972 Dart steering box problem

-

Joe1972dart

Reaction score
How it going guys, I am have a problem with the steering in my 72 dart. Steering wheel has a lot of play and the pitman arm shaft when turning the wheel goes up and down. Does anyone have any input on what I should be looking for?

Car only has 15,000 original miles

Thank you

How many times has it had 15,000 origional miles. Mine has had that 4 times now!

There are procedures on the Factory Service Manual, to eliminate the movement in the steering box.

Unless something is damaged

Last edited:
Never around once, is it normal for the shaft to move up and down when turning the steering wheel when it is out of adjustment

The steering gear has 2 shafts.

The one attached to the steering column, there is an adjusting nut that adjusts that shaft play.

The other shaft is attached to the steering arm it too has an adjustment and if it is out of adjustment the shaft can move in and out of the gear (ie up and down)

It is really surprising that the gear would be out of adjustment after 15,000 miles, mine went 250,000 before it needed an adjustment.

What evidence do you have that the car only has 15,000 miles?

Bought the car off the original owner a neighbor of mine who never used the car. He bought the car in 73, it was his one and only car. I know the shop that worked on it and both the shop and the owner of the car said it has never been rolled around and the car has 15,000 miles (11,000 when I bought it).

I will have to check the manual to see where the second adjustment is, I know the one is there but did not know there was 2 adjustments.

The procedure between power and manual steering are similar, but, not exactly the same. Either way, be careful not to adjust things too tight. Chances are, with that low a miles on the vehicle, wear is not the issue, but, probably something broke giving you the extra play. In that case, you may be faced with getting a replacement box.

P/arm not loose on splines and I am aware of if you adjustment too much can cause wheel not to come back to center.
The steering gear has 2 shafts.

The one attached to the steering column, there is an adjusting nut that adjusts that shaft play.

The other shaft is attached to the steering arm it too has an adjustment and if it is out of adjustment the shaft can move in and out of the gear (ie up and down)

It is really surprising that the gear would be out of adjustment after 15,000 miles, mine went 250,000 before it needed an adjustment.

What evidence do you have that the car only has 15,000 miles?
Where is the adjustment on the steering column and the steering arm? I know about the one on top of the box with the nut and allen bolt.

I have the manual somewhere will have to look for it, but I know for sure I have it

I'm just going to suggest that, given the nature of the problem (Steering), and the nature of the question...OP might want some professional help on this one. "Up and down" movement isn't particularly concise, nor does it jive with "excessive play".

I will eventually get the box rebuilt, I just can't have the car down for long to get it rebuilt right now. I am trying to get it better for the time being.

MyMopar.Com

free factory service manual

Wormshaft bearing adjuster

Cross shaft adjustment screw

Screenshot_20221018-202650.png

the only adjustment you can kind of adjust on the car is the cross shaft adjustment screw
center wheels
undo lock nut
jack car up to lift front wheels clear of ground
do the centrebolt up snug not tight
turn steering wheel to check if its stiff in the middle.... no stiffness....this is good
do up lock nut

or do it up so it is stiff at the steering wheel in the middle of travel... be gentle
and back it off 1/8 of a turn till you just feel no stiffness at the steering wheel.
i.e with no steering wheel on, or a tiny steering wheel you would still feel a stiff spot in the middle straight ahead position, but due to the size of the standard wheel and the leverage it gives you can't...
its supposed to be stiff in the middle. but not a "road safty test" failure level of stiffnes, felt at the standard steering wheel.

both methods are a "get you going" methods, and are not the correct way....
correct way ilustrtaed in manual

which is more along the lines of
remove steeringbox
load wormshaft bearing , to specified turing force then do the cross shaft and check the turning force again.
both with a small inch/lb wrench and a 16 point socket, can't remeber which imperial or AF socket fits over the spline in a snug manner to do this. but for both sizes of steering box there is one.

I was in a similar situation with a power box A body, by the road side,
And i did the following

I found that the large hex nut/ ring around the worm shaft beraing adjuster had come loose and the bearing adjuster had rotated.

the bearing adjuster is a screw in alumininium top to the steering shaft end of the box. that whole end screws in and out and is locked in place with a hex shaped lock ring... like the headset on the steering of a motor cylce or bike.
screwing it in presses the ballbearings harder into the bearing seats on the worm shaft, pinning it tighter between the screw top and the bottom of the case. these bearings are caged ball bearings like those on the crank pin of a raleigh pushbike... be gentle with them...

this was on a RHD v8 Valaint 4 door VIP (australian) (no access from above) due to offset booster and offset floor and offset engine all being the wrong way for RHD.. and the steering box mounted 1940s/50s style to the chassis rail

so we got under with the trolley jack handle and a small hammer
the jack handel and hammer were used (placed carfully and tapped gently) to knock the hex ring back and forth to clear the threads
I backed it off about 3 turns
then re positioned the jack handle against a rasied section of the bearing adjuster and tapped it round gently until it stopped + 1 extra tap.
i then did up the lock ring in the same manner

then snugged up the cross shaft adjuster using FEEL..

not the right way to do it
but car soldiered on for a good few years after that....
was helping a mate get it ready for sale.... :) and the conversation went "why is you steering so god awful"....
and we checked... and found out why.

The proper way is in the book

Dave

With the exception of stuff obviously being loose and not moving the way they are suppose to, are you sure that anything is really wrong? These cars feel way over asssisted compared to newer cars.

Is the pitman shaft moving up and down in the steering box, or is the whole box moving up and down? There can be a ton of flex in the mounting, or the mounting bolts could be loose.

Arm is moving not the whole box, my family has a few there mopars with original boxes and I am aware they feel more over assisted compared to new ones, but the wheel has a lot of play in it. I will have to check into it more and possibly try Dave's method, I can't have the car down for an extended period of time right now and if I am removing the box I will just send it to get a stage 2 rebuild.

-
Back