Status
Not open for further replies.

bbrroowwnn

never re member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Contact seller
I have a 1992 Dodge Dakota automatic w/overdrive transmission....I think it is a 518....Was taken out of a working truck....No torque converter is included....Prefer local pickup...100.00 OBO

calendar010.jpg

paul,, looks like a computer controlled trans,, im pretty sure that would be newer then 1992,,, and if the trans pan is like a 904 with the corner cut off then it would be a A500 SURE WISH IT WAS A 2 WIRE AND not computer controlled

Question>>>Cant you just run a toggle switch on the computer controlled one to switch on the OD or is it more complicated than that. If it is an A500 with the capability to just use a switch to engage the OD I would be interested. If it is an A500 does anyone know if it will fit in a 70 Dart Without major surgery. I wouldnt mind a few blows to the tunnel with a sledgehammer but am not equipped to do major surgery. With an A500 is there major crossmember frigging??

That is the older style A500 if I'm not mistaken. All A500's and A518's had 2 electrical plugs. The standard plug that plugs into the neutral switch and the other is for the O.D. unit. The older style only had 3 wires for the O.D. unit which is what it looks like that has shown in the first picture of post #7. The newer computer shifted version had numerous wires going into the 2nd plug which is located on top and farther back of the neutral switch.

Paul what hurts a lot when selling anything is not wanting to ship it. You limit your area of buyers severely by doing that. I understand shipping a trans. isn't the easiest thing and considering it's just a $100 item you don't want to mess with spending an hour or 2 preparing it. Have you tried listing it on Craigslist?

Question>>>Cant you just run a toggle switch on the computer controlled one to switch on the OD or is it more complicated than that. If it is an A500 with the capability to just use a switch to engage the OD I would be interested. If it is an A500 does anyone know if it will fit in a 70 Dart Without major surgery. I wouldnt mind a few blows to the tunnel with a sledgehammer but am not equipped to do major surgery. With an A500 is there major crossmember frigging??

Yes you can either run a toggle switch for the O.D. or buy a $30 vacuum switch kit that does it for you. I haven't installed one so I have no input on that but there are numerous threads about it in the trans. section. Use the search function and I bet you come up with an answer.

Looks like you're a couple of hours north of me. I'd be interested in it.

paul sent me pics on the A 500 had a complete wiring harness,,im sure its computer controlled,, the early OD,S were a 2 wire plug allowing a switch for OD,,,

I'm staying out of this one guys as I am unfamiliar with this transmission...LOL....I took all the pics...so it is what is pictured....PM me if you are interested...Paul

Major frigging of crossmember is needed, ie. you have to cut yours in half and graft in a center section to support this guy. also you need to literally cut your tunnel out and weld in a larger tunnel as the O/D tailshaft is about 10 inches wide as opposed to your 4 inch 727/904. Lots of work. But having an overdrive with street gears is...priceless.

Yeah, I just don't know enough info on them to be helpful....The pan rail numbers are pk4505164 then a space then 0335 then another space then 0737 all on the pan rail...I did a little digging with the numbers on the internet but found very limited info......I will try to get a picture of the pan....Paul

Am I safe in assuming the A500 is the overdrive version of the 904 and the 518 is the overdrive version of the 727?

Am I safe in assuming the A500 is the overdrive version of the 904 and the 518 is the overdrive version of the 727?

Yes except the 500 is closer to an overdrive version of the 998/999 as it has the same lower than 904 gear set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back