23 spline v 18 spline

-

cudaboy 67

Reaction score
hello, i have a 4 speed that needs rebuild im guessing syncros and bearings,i have a 727 im going to fit in meantime just to keep me moving, my input shaft 18 spline i often wondered if this was just the input shaft that was "beefy" and i have read here quote::study: The A-833 four-speed was built by New Process. produced from 1964 until 1987, it is most noted for its strength and durability. From 1964 until 1972, it was built in two configurations-a 23-spline input shaft and an 18-spline input shaft. These shafts are not interchangeable alone, and the entire gearset is matched and must be changed as a complete assembly.......... is this true?

cheers, is this a rare box and worth keeping if can get sorted then? few people here wanted it, can see why now! was told mine was probobally just the input shaft that was 18 spline/heavey duty. oh, the casting is a 65 year.

Wouldn't a '65 trans have the bolt on driveshaft? I know the 4 speed in our '65 Barracuda is like that and the 727 trans that was attached to my '65 413 engine was also like that.

65 should have the ball and trunion drive shaft.
I have one in my building

23 spline and 18 spline gear set are only interchangable in main cases with the 308 input bearing ( cases are found in B&E body cars). A body 833's had the smaller 307 bearing. Sounds like you have a 65 B body case with an A body output shaft and tail housing with an 18 spline input and gear set installed.

here are some piccys, this is my cable push sysyem....

Attachments

• a833 levers.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 799
  • a833 tailshaft.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 702
  • a822 clutch.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 675
  • a833 clutch 1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 862
18 = big block trans

23 = small block trans

and yes you switch 18 to 23 if they have the same bearing like said earlier

the rest of trans can be the same but make sure they are the same ratio

as some was o/d trans and dont have the same ratio and gears wasnt install the way third was at the fourth place so...

I did a few of them before even put a 833 on cheby so friend could bit the hell out of it with out breaking trans but he broke the dif instead

for a fair price rebuikd kit look at mancini racing

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mara4sprekit.html

it contain all the bearing and synchro ring you will need and more
but for gears

http://www.brewersperformance.com/

or

http://www.zbag.com/

hope this can help you

Nice clutch linkage.

18 spline was usually the 426H and the 440-6, special order for others. 1965 was the first year for a slipyoke.

There is little benefit to changing to an 18 spline unless you have massive amounts of torque to deal with. Virtually every 440-4 4-speed car was equipped with the 23 spline.

Sorry but 1966 was the first year for slipyokes and all 440-4 and 440-6 and 426 hemi 4spd cars came with 18 spline, that's why there are so many out there. 426 wedge, 400, 383,360,340,318,273,and /6 came with 23 spline 4spds, the 66&67 273 and /6 A-body cars had the small (904) slipyoke. The only ones I am not sure of are the 1964 hemi and max wedge cars. I think they where the reason for the 18 spline to be built.

Well, it appears that we are both correct...in wierd sorta ways. MotherMopar strikes again.

The 1965 parts book clearly shows that both the trunion and the slip yoke were used, although only the trunion was used in the Dart/Valiant line.

The 68 & 69 parts books support your 18 spline theory, however, the 70 & 71 books only show one 'pinion' for all 833 transmissions and it does not indicate 18 or 23 spline, however, we all know that 23 splines were commonly used in the rest of the cars so there could be an assumption that even the 71-426Hemi had an 18 spline...

...never say never when dealing with old Mopar....

hi all, cheers for all the input, it really is a minefield! any idea how much the tailshaft seal/bushing changed? i need to replace mine and be good to identify which type i need, thanks again, nathan.

many thanks for the input, just been out for drive now, ive bushed the linkages,centered the hurst and aligned / adjusted rods to suit,the clutch is adjusted up nice now get this, engine off 1,2,3,4, reverse 100%,car running taking it steady all gears ok now if i give it a little prob going into second,came home, engine off,while looking at bottom of shifter while doing a moderate 1 -2 shift can see 3-4 lever moving a little. when shifting 3 -4 with again some moderation 1-2 still. you reakon i should be looking in shifter or gearbox?wondering if vibrations while moving maybe not holding the detent in nicley, its always goes into first but shifting to second somtimes pain then 3 3 sweet, thanks!:read2:

It sounds like the shift linkage is out of adjustment, namely the 1-2 link is out of sync.Second guess is shifter needs to be taken apart and cleaned. In my last post on hear I was wrong on some of the information I gave about the 18 spline trans. The 67 and back 18 spline trans had the small 307 input bearing and bearing retainer(4.35 inches) and the 68 and newer have the 308 bearing and 4.80 bearing retainer, sorry but the memory is the first thing to go, I am just to frigging old.

-
Back