273 Build

-
Things don't always go as planned. I attempted to install my intake today and no dice. It needs machined a bit. The bolts screw in by hand with no gaskets but even the steel shim makes it too thick. I checked here on some old threads and some of you have had to machine the intake when you milled the heads. The machine shop took a swipe on the intake surface of the heads when they had them on the mill but it must not have been enough. The worst part is that I
used a nice set of Fel-pro print-o-seal gaskets that are probably ruined. I will probably use the factory steel shim gaskets instead. The good thing is Woody can pick up my intake Monday morning and have it back in the afternoon. What a guy. Mike

That is the original. There is "ac" stamped on top so Mopar must have used the air conditioning radiator for the hipo motors. I don't think I have a heavy duty cooling option. These radiators may be hard to find but I haven't checked. I never had any overheating problems before and I hope I won't have problems with the new motor. Mike

Great work, Mike. Glad you're taking the obstacles with good humor. May as well. Besides, taking the time to make sure it's right means more trouble free play time later.

MAX cooling was part of the A/C package and trailer towing package. If you have the build sheet, check for 492 for the Max Cooling Pkg. My HiPo had air so I don't know if non-A/C cars had the package. There is nothing in the literature to indicate that that they did. FWIW the Formula S package which included the 273 HP did not include Max Cooling.

Things don't always go as planned. I attempted to install my intake today and no dice. It needs machined a bit. The bolts screw in by hand with no gaskets but even the steel shim makes it too thick. I checked here on some old threads and some of you have had to machine the intake when you milled the heads. The machine shop took a swipe on the intake surface of the heads when they had them on the mill but it must not have been enough. The worst part is that I
used a nice set of Fel-pro print-o-seal gaskets that are probably ruined. I will probably use the factory steel shim gaskets instead. The good thing is Woody can pick up my intake Monday morning and have it back in the afternoon. What a guy. Mike

Try SCE gaskets. The Felpro's rn about .060 and these are only .030. Might be the answer. It worked for me on a 360 I just did.

Great work, Mike. Glad you're taking the obstacles with good humor. May as well. Besides, taking the time to make sure it's right means more trouble free play time later.

MAX cooling was part of the A/C package and trailer towing package. If you have the build sheet, check for 492 for the Max Cooling Pkg. My HiPo had air so I don't know if non-A/C cars had the package. There is nothing in the literature to indicate that that they did. FWIW the Formula S package which included the 273 HP did not include Max Cooling.

No sense in getting my underwear tied in a knot. LOL I'll get it together and running in due time. Everytime I get in a hurry something goes wrong it seems so I'll stay cool and do it right.
I checked my build sheet and it has a #30 in the radiator slot and no "x" in the 492 slot. The part number on the radiator is #2582930 and the parts books list it for 1966 HP-273 with 4-speed. (2582930 1966 A 22" 273 Manual Heater) Mike

A few shots after they made it home. I need to gather up a few loose end parts and supplies and start assembly. Note the larger secondary holes in the intake. I had Woody machine them bigger in case I need to use a newer Edelbrock AFB. Also I unwrapped the block to take a peek.
nice factory single plane intake?

Right you are. It's a factory single plane intake. Too bad Mopar didn't design it with more plenum, more of a high rise design. It would be better for torque I'll bet. I've never checked hood clearance though. That could have been an issue.

toolman

Having a productive day today. I scheduled a day off and got busy in the garage early. Woody picked up my intake and he will machine .020 from the intake surface for a good fit. If he can work it in, it might be done today. I unfolded the cherry picker and took the engine off the stand. I took the gear head apart and replaced a broken pin on the crank. After I put it back together, I turned the motor over and installed the oil pan. I also carried my bench grinder and stand from the basement to the garage and set it up. Then I cleaned a bunch of rusty hardware. It's just after lunch and I hope this after noon goes as smooth as the morning. toolmanmike

Had a good afternoon although not as productive as this morning. Woody dropped of my intake mid afternoon and it fit perfect. It's a good thing I had problems. The intake was quite warped. He had to take a few passes to get it flat before he took any material off. It's pretty important to true up all machined surfaces when you rebuild. I could have had major problems.
Mike

Got a can of Permatex copper for the intake gaskets. It worked good. A bead of Mopar silicone for the end seals and the bolts to install. Looks good. Getting closer. Hope you're not getting bored with my build. I don't have much time to work on it. toolman

engine 182.jpg

engine 183.jpg

engine 184.jpg

engine 185.jpg

She's looking good Mike.I'm sure you wish you had more time for your car but I think that is a problem for a lot of us,however on Friday my wife leaves for China for 10 days.:snakeman:

I'm just starting on a 273 build for a member here...
A couple of questions about your engine if you don't mind...
How much deck do you have ?
What was the bore diameter of your head gasket?
Do you have a final cr number?
I found the compression loss unacceptable using the 4.070 to 4.100 gaskets that are out there.Even at .030 that's 6 tenths of a point.

What a great thread. I didn't want ot to end. My 66 needs a V8. Maybe next year.

I'm just starting on a 273 build for a member here...
A couple of questions about your engine if you don't mind...
How much deck do you have ?
What was the bore diameter of your head gasket?
Do you have a final cr number?
I found the compression loss unacceptable using the 4.070 to 4.100 gaskets that are out there.Even at .030 that's 6 tenths of a point.

It was a fight all the way. I used the Egge 10.5 domed pistons and with a thinner head gasket but still big bore size I ended up with a 9.6+ compression after taking .030 off the heads. Not as much as I wanted but very street friendly. If I had to do it over I would have someone make me some flat tops at zero deck. More info later

Last edited:
Mike, look in the funny stuff section about the latest on my 273 build. I am hopefully going to fire it up tomorrow, but I have said that before. Yours is looking good!

I had some time today to clean, prime, and squirt some red. Mike

engine 186.jpg

engine 192.jpg

engine 196.jpg

engine 200.jpg

I just couldn't help my self. I just had to see how it looks with a couple of parts installed. Those drivers side exhaust manifolds make me laugh. toolman

engine 206.jpg

engine 205.jpg

I got up and out to the garage early today and got started cleaning up my engine compartment. I used a DA to start but there's not too many flat panels under the hood. I used a 90 degree die grinder and some scotchbrite pads for the bad spots. (I had a regulator go bad and boil a battery and screw up the drivers side) I finished up by hand with 180 grit sandpaper, I painted the k- frame and suspension semi gloss black. I also touched up the blower motor, master cylinder, and the shock nuts and washers. I will mask off the black I painted today and shoot the rest with self etching primer which is green/gold
color like the body color. I may leave it in primer. I haven't decided yet. It's 5:15 and I'm pooped!
toolman

engine 213.jpg

engine 220.jpg

I primed the engine bay and needed to decide what color to paint. I started a
poll to ask your opinions. i decided I would eventually paint my Dart black so I will paint the engine bay the same. It should look good with the red engine color and all the chrome on the outside. I have been cleaning, sanding, and painting small parts and cleaning and repairing things like the wiring harness and the battery tray and brackets. I have found out that you don't just dump an engine in if you want it to turn out right. My dad was in the hospital last weekend with a plugged carotid artery and my youngest son is in the midst of Baseball playoffs so I am pretty busy right now. Lots to do. toolmanmike

engine 221.jpg

engine 223.jpg

engine 224.jpg

engine 227.jpg

Wow, you are making great progress. This looks awesome. You are doing great work with this. I cannot wait to hear how it sounds, and see how it looks when you are done. I bet it will be incredible.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

-
Back