300 HP out of a 318, is it possible with bolt ons?

-
The crank bolts to the block. The rods are bolted to the crank. Hell, some pistons are just clipped onto the rods. Clip on parts anyone? LMFAO

why?

you're not machining anything. you're not modifying anything in the basic architecture of the engine and you don't need any specialty tools (beyond a dampener puller) to install one.
I know, "bolt on " is a pretty loose term. Where does it start and where does it stop. If there's a competition going on, the limits need to be mentioned.

It should only take an afternoon to replace cam and bolt on a top end package, a 300 hp package. :D

It should only take an afternoon to replace cam and bolt on a top end package, a 300 hp package. :D
Now that would be a fun competition. Whatever you could do in a 8 hour day from start to finish.

I know, "bolt on " is a pretty loose term. Where does it start and where does it stop. If there's a competition going on, the limits need to be mentioned.
i think a fairly reasonable interpretation of "bolt on" is: installed with basic hand tools and no machine work.

if some pendantist wants to argue that: well technically a crank is a bolt on, they're more than welcome to do so while i shove a oven mitt down their throat.

Simple answer is NO. The head flow is **** even for aftermarket. Porting Heads and over boreing a block isn't a bolt on.
sure it is. if you count tightening a carbide burr into a die grinder.....
I really don't think 300hp out of a 318 would be too terribly difficult.

To me bolt on is anything that you can bolt on a basic short block (block + rotating assembly)
Which are the parts that are responsible for the vast majority of the power, which is why I don't get the naysayers to bolt on power. The question in this application is how much power is available with stock 318 heads about 175 cfm, with a lot cam an cr should be able to get 350+ hp but with stock cr and a streetable cam should do alright, even if it falls a bit short of 300 hp I'm sure the OP will be ok with it. 300 hp is probably around a 230 cam with stock cr which is on the high side unless going with deep gears and stall, I'd stick around 215.

300 hp outta a 318 as easy as hitting water falling outta a boat!! air fuel and heat all it takes to build a fire! cam, heads, and intake so it can breath,..air an fuel , pistons with decent compression (ant gotta be great but good), there's your heat, now we warming by the fire! but dont matter if you build 300 hp or 600 hp itll be depressing less rest the car complements the fire you built....right gears worth 100 hp!! good trans and converter/clutch worth another 50 to 75 hp!!! lest it is by my dynobutt!

Hard to gain 70 with bolt on parts.
Well... I did it with hard work a 4 parts. Milled heads
2 carbs, ported tunnel ram & bigger headers.
Actually gained 60 ft pounds t the same time.
Not a 318 though

on my 318 roller engine, the cam swap, 4 barrel carb intake really did wake it up, but it wasn’t until I put some magnum heads and long tube headers when the combo really came alive!

...but a cam is bolted "inside the engine"
ported aluminum heads could be bolted on with a super charger!

...but a cam is bolted "inside the engine"
ported aluminum heads could be bolted on with a super charger!
There you go. We shouldn't use "bolt on". Where does it stop? :BangHead: :lol:

There you go. We shouldn't use "bolt on". Where does it stop? :BangHead: :lol:
I think it has different meanings for different people. None of us has the same skill level and certainly not the same pocketbook. I do agree probably 95% or more of the time when you see "bolt ons" it means anything outside the basic long block. Induction, distributor, headers and whatnot.

I think it has different meanings for different people. None of us has the same skill level and certainly not the same pocketbook. I do agree probably 95% or more of the time when you see "bolt ons" it means anything outside the basic long block. Induction, distributor, headers and whatnot.
True that. Just poking fun. It's interesting how a simple phrase can entertain so many for so long. :lol:

True that. Just poking fun. It's interesting how a simple phrase can entertain so many for so long. :lol:
I'll tell you what WOULD slam 300HP with a 318. STOCK 5.2 Magnum short block, cam and all, 308 heads ported, milled to get a true 9.2:1, Chinkese air gap, 750 AVSII, Mopar electronic ignition with a good loose hot curve, and a set of cheapo long tube headers.

I'll tell you what WOULD slam 300HP with a 318. STOCK 5.2 Magnum short block, cam and all, 308 heads ported, milled to get a true 9.2:1, Chinkese air gap, 750 AVSII, Mopar electronic ignition with a good loose hot curve, and a set of cheapo long tube headers.
Yep. And how many extra ponies with a reground cam from your buddy out west? Another 25 or so?

Yep. And how many extra ponies with a reground cam from your buddy out west? Another 25 or so?
No tellin. I bet it would eclipse 300 just like I built it. With a reground cam? 325? 330?

-
Back