318 low-rpm performance ........... for the NEWBE

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what a 340 cost where you live, here a rebuildable complete engine $3000 plus, a rusted out block questionable rebuildability $1000-1500 a running 318 $300 a 360 in various conditions $300-1000.

I woudnt build any of them without making a stroker 390 408 416
the added torque allows less gear better street manners less stall
if you going street strip it 11 to 1 250@50 590 lift 280 cfm heads single plane 950 carb step headers 4500 stall 27 or 28 inch tire 4.10s cal tracs nitrous should do nicely gvod and your set

You look at the parts list for a 400 hp 318,340,360 it practically the same, around 10:1 cr, 230 to 245 cam, airgap 750 headers and magnum or x heads or mild ported 2.02 360 heads or 318 heads ported to flow similar, or SM, Edelbrocks with maybe slightly less cam.

Don't get this cost issue.

Why?

Because!

Some of us like making junk go fast.

This is what some of us have.

The argument is old and worn out.

Racing your mouth sitting on a bar stool is just not really all that much fun.

And you look stupid

faht 2.jpg

I suppose my point was: you cant afford the machine work and mods to make a 318 perform and you aren't smart enough to figure out something the Chrysler engineers didn't already know.

Last edited:
my understanding 318 pistons are a little more otherwise its the same

if you going street strip it 11 to 1 250@50 590 lift 280 cfm heads single plane 950 carb step headers 4500 stall 27 or 28 inch tire 4.10s cal tracs nitrous should do nicely gvod and your set
I can agree with that, any ball park on cost of stroking a LA 318? And will any of these 318 racing, 15 second "I go fast" guys on here pay it?

that's the kicker a lot of these people gloss over when barking up about a 318 being a waste of time.

money.

not everybody has that extra dosh to go pick up a 340, or even a 360 so it just makes sense to make do with what you have and try and make it the best you can.

also, not everybody needs a super deluxe maximized hi pressure zooty motor. not everybody is out here hitting the track on friday night or playing stoplight eliminator with teslas.

for a lot of folks a 275hp 318 with a 4bbl and headers is fine. and you can get to that with out breaking the bank.

if the argument is VFM, then cubes win hands down, every time. (or a turbo).

Yeah yeah yeah I'm leavin' ...started my own thread about 340s!

I may start one about Fox Body 5.0s too..it woul dbe like "How many of you guys own a Mustang GT also...? "

and I'd be like " I do..." LOL!

tongue out2.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is a 318 with 4.57's and 30" et streets for now.. plan is to take it to 390 and bigger cam after the bugs are worked out and car is roadworthy... Also has a FTI 9.5" converter and FT-2 shift kit.. should be fun for short blasts to work :)

It isn't hate it just doesn't make sense to cite funds as a reason to not pick up a 340-360

That is BS, & you know it. Otherwise to me your just saying if you don’t have the money to pony up for a bigger engine, then you should t be playing with them, leave the game & don’t come back until you have money.

Rich boy attitude.

but then dump a bunch of money into a 318.
Who’s saying dump a bunch of money into a 318?
And some of us know in the end these guys would jump on a 340-360 when the right time and enough money permits.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, there’s the rich boy tune again.
If anything it’s the 318 guys who are the haters haters of the truth.
So 318 guys hate us now? Off base, delusional.
Why dump x amount into a 318 for 300 horse when the same money and labor nets 400 out of a 360.
Because it’s not the same money when you don’t have a 360 to start with. I don’t care if the next Magnum at the yard is a $100.
I don't recall Mopar performance offering a Magnum 5.2 crate engine. The thing is yes I understand in Australia a 318 is what's available but lets not BS each other here in the states. No one here has a tried and true recipe for a 318 that is an affordable "340 conversion" But you all still try and discuss it ad nauseum.
True no 318 create engine, so what.
A 318 to 340 conversion? What are you talking about?
MoPar does offer a slew of tips to getting the 318 to perform.

UTG MI 318 would be a costly beast in machine work alone
The original idea that has been long discarded was to reuse the stock pistons and regrind the cam. So cost is out. So is your memory on it.
;)

and why isn't it done yet

Charlie is still messing around with the cylinder heads.

Not hate valid questions no one today knows anything more than 30-40 years ago
Not true, start turning stones over on the subject.

and lastly I say this if the Chrysler engineers could have gotten the performance out of the 318 they wouldn't have designed the 340.

Another bone headed statement. Start reading about the past again.

There simply is no performance conversion kit on the cheap for a 318...
nor for any other small block Chrysler.

you guys cant rewrite the facts

No one has done that here.

and call people haters because you don't like that.

I just like messing with AJ.

You guys are so cheap that you know what ? I watched 318 wr video on "degreeing a cam on the cheap..." Im like "come on dude buy a degree wheel dont come up with some BS and call it degreeing a cam. No offense to 318 WR but hokey hillbilly BS isnt the right way.

No, that was offensive.

Go to summit and buy the degree kit they arent that expensive and if you are constantly working on engines you need it. Yeah I know Im the hater. :)
:lol:
Logically, dollar for dollar vs labor, a 5.9 is the way to go.
:thumbsup:

Even with the stock cam and relative LC, it should stand with a stock or mild built 340, given the same build on the rest of the car.
Well I got off track but I agree, the logic minded 318 guy will eventually realize that performance with a 318 isn't impossible its just more logical the the 360 .
That’s never been the argument.

I agree that, a 318 will sound good with a cam but those down in the hole pistons and sub 4 inch bore leave much to be desired.

Not really, but I believe you believe that. Do you need an extra thinking cap?

Now someone will say and I've heard many times the bore don't mean nothing but Ill say it means this you cant use large valves and a high lift cam.
Bore size does mean something and more the merry, sure!
Otherwise…..

Incorrect again. Oh my! WOW!!!

A 2.08-1.60 valve set up equals 3.68, add in space between the valves, still smaller than a 3.91, 318 stock bore size.

Oh wait! That’s math! You can’t do math, never mind.
Carry on the rant of incompetency.

Second the heads the castings are smaller in stock heads and you cant port a 318 casting to 340-360 size ports you'd grind through.
What can you gat out of a ported 318 head? What if you installed the larger 1.88/1.60 valves? OH-wait, you said you can’t use larger valves. Never mind……:rolleyes:
You still need a decent crank and rotating assembly to go to 6 K and above.

Hugely wrong! Big time. You need a good valve train along with the camshaft.

My 318 was great on the street but it was a mid range up to 5- 5500 street car I'm not going to say it was a performance engine even though I had a cam headers and 4 barrel on an otherwise stock LA 318. My 340 is a different monster even at idle. You just know it runs and you feel the torque just rapping the throttle.

Ahhhh, nothing like a bigger engine. Glad your pockets are rep enough to afford one.

Last edited:
that's the kicker a lot of these people gloss over when barking up about a 318 being a waste of time.

money.

not everybody has that extra dosh to go pick up a 340, or even a 360 so it just makes sense to make do with what you have and try and make it the best you can.

also, not everybody needs a super deluxe maximized hi pressure zooty motor. not everybody is out here hitting the track on friday night or playing stoplight eliminator with teslas.

for a lot of folks a 275hp 318 with a 4bbl and headers is fine. and you can get to that with out breaking the bank.

if the argument is VFM, then cubes win hands down, every time. (or a turbo).

And that’s a grand slam home run in the bottom of the 9th with a full count to win the championships!

The only expense above another in building a 318 up to a hot or really hot engine is the pistons. If I were doing one, then a maximum bore is what I would seek. Any decent compression (IMO) will need a dome. KB has gotcha on this one. Slam the best head I can get on top and let it turn rpm’s and eat.

That is BS, & you know it. Otherwise to me your just saying if you don’t have the money to pony up for a bigger engine, then you should t be playing with them, leave the game & don’t come back until you have money.

Rich boy attitude.

Who’s saying dump a bunch of money into a 318?

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, there’s the rich boy tune again.

So 318 guys hate us now? Off base, delusional.

Because it’s not the same money when you don’t have a 360 to start with. I don’t care if the next Magnum at the yard is a $100.

True no 318 create engine, so what.
A 318 to 340 conversion? What are you talking about?
MoPar does offer a slew of tips to getting the 318 to perform.

The original idea that has been long discarded was to reuse the stock pistons and regrind the cam. So cost is out. So is your memory on it.
;)

Charlie is still messing around with the cylinder heads.

Not true, start turning stones over on the subject.

Another bone headed statement. Start reading about the past again.

nor for any other small block Chrysler.

No one has done that here.

I just like messing with AJ.

No, that was offensive.

:lol:

That’s never been the argument.

Not really, but I believe you believe that. Do you need an extra thinking cap?

Incorrect again. Oh my! WOW!!!

What can you gat out of a ported 318 head? What if you installed the larger 1.88/1.60 valves? OH-wait, you said you can’t use larger valves. Never mind……:rolleyes:

Hugely wrong! Big time.

Ahhhh, nothing like a bigger engine. Glad your pockets are rep enough to afford one.
Hey.. post up your 318 proven recipe quit talking and bashing and do it ...also post the receipts so the bench racers you stroke on here know how much money they need to "go fast" with a 318 oh and P.S. 1.88s are "small valves " in a 340 360 head try again...P.S I work for a living by no means am I rich so quit spreading you rumours get off your *** and do it. Quit the bs bench racing because you cant afford anything else kidding youselves it can be "done cheap" Its 2024 **** or get off the pot. . You guys keep espousing he story based off Uncle Tony BS and even he doesn't prove anything its getting old.

Last edited:
Hey.. post up your 318 proven recipe quit talking and bashing and do it
Why? There out there. Open up a MP engines book.
Or is that a big bag of lies and BS?
...also post the receipts so the bench racers you stroke on here know how much money they need to "go fast" with a 318

Excuse me? I’m stroking who?
Before you cast stones, you should put your “Peter” away first and stop stroking yourself downstairs and upstairs in the brain.

Cost is the same minus pistons. Again….

oh and P.S. 1.88s are "small valves " in a 340 360 head try again...

This is where you show your an idiot.

All I said was what about installing the larger 1.88-1.60 valves while never calling the “BIG” valves to begin with.

As in those valves in a 318 head. Making them bigger valves.

Reading is fundamental comprehension works very well with it. Obviously, you do not comprehend what I read. Stop making yourself look like a complete total jackass!

After all, it was you who said you can’t stall large of valves.
you Uncle Tony Pickle sniffer..

OML! Seriously?!?! R U ******* kidding me?!?!?!

You call me this when I make corrections on something you have no idea what you’re talking about on this guy‘s channel? But yet you come back and budge me with ridiculous insults that only crying school girls can come up with? I think it’s you! Yes, you! That are sniffing my pickle. Please back away from my pickle.

If the only way for you to know if an engine can be built to perform is cause someone else did it first and you need a recipe to follow maybe you don't know much as you think you do.

A good builder should be able to build anything especially if it has a ton of aftermarket support like a 318.

If the only way for you to know if an engine can be built to perform is cause someone else did it first and you need a recipe to follow maybe you don't know much as you think you do.

A good builder should be able to build anything especially if it has a ton of aftermarket support like a 318.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:rofl:

Hey.. post up your 318 proven recipe quit talking and bashing and do it ...also post the receipts so the bench racers you stroke on here know how much money they need to "go fast" with a 318 oh and P.S. 1.88s are "small valves " in a 340 360 head try again...P.S I work for a living by no means am I rich so quit spreading you rumours get off your *** and do it. Quit the bs bench racing because you cant afford anything else kidding youselves it can be "done cheap" Its 2024 **** or get off the pot. . You guys keep espousing he story based off Uncle Tony BS and even he doesn't prove anything its getting old.
i thought you were leaving to start a 340 & 5.0 thread?

Why? There out there. Open up a MP engines book.
Or is that a big bag of lies and BS?

Excuse me? I’m stroking who?
Before you cast stones, you should put your “Peter” away first and stop stroking yourself downstairs and upstairs in the brain.

Cost is the same minus pistons. Again….

This is where you show your an idiot.

All I said was what about installing the larger 1.88-1.60 valves while never calling the “BIG” valves to begin with.

As in those valves in a 318 head. Making them bigger valves.

Reading is fundamental comprehension works very well with it. Obviously, you do not comprehend what I read. Stop making yourself look like a complete total jackass!

After all, it was you who said you can’t stall large of valves.

OML! Seriously?!?! R U ******* kidding me?!?!?!

You call me this when I make corrections on something you have no idea what you’re talking about on this guy‘s channel? But yet you come back and budge me with ridiculous insults that only crying school girls can come up with? I think it’s you! Yes, you! That are sniffing my pickle. Please back away from my pickle.
what the hell are youtalking about with your f bomb bullshit I aint got time for you get lost..call me a girl...?youd get winded trying to find out...

There’s a bunch of people viewing these pages that don’t know and are reading up on how to do stuff. Not knowing is OK. Pretending to know, (Not you 273) is another thing. So, reading a recipe or doing a copy cat build (no shame there!) is a great way to get going faster.

I fully endorse anyone that isn’t sure on the route to take with there engine to copy someone else’s, follow a recipe from a book, or just have someone build it for them.

No shame, no harm, no foul.

Go get tinkering and build a beast, no matter what HP level you’re after. Simple rebuild? Go for it! Mild hop up? Go for it! Trying your hand at a street strip machine? Go for it!

No doubt!

Why do these always turn into:

A- don't do anything to a 318, because it's useless, unless....

B- change the heads, install a 4000 RPM converter, change the bore, install a .700 lift cam, and 5.13 gears.

what the hell are youtalking about with your f bomb bullshit I aint got time for you get lost..call me a girl...?youd get winded trying to find out...

Yea…. LMAO…. I’m sure….

Look, it’s simple, complain like a wounded little butt hurt girl, get called one.

Problem with my F bombs? Don’t reply to me.
I didn’t get hurt when you called me a pickle sniffer, even though you displayed that on yourself first, but that’s OK.

After all! In this new twisted age of tolerance, you can come out of the closet now and be proud with your rainbow flag and colored hair. No hate here.

To make things better, for you… what are your pronouns?

I’ll comply to stop your butt from being hurt again so the tears can shut off.

Seriously, your last line is a threatening one.
Really?

Let me see here, now, if I got this right.

You wanna beat me up because I have a foul mouth and corrected you. Which you should have been thanking me. Because now you can stop looking stupid to the public at hand.

Please! Stay very far away from me.
Your foul stance or ignorance will choke me out before you get within 25’.

Go drink a beer or two or stop drinking beer now.

Why do these always turn into:

A- don't do anything to a 318, because it's useless, unless....

Because AJ said so…. :poke:
B- change the heads, install a 4000 RPM converter, change the bore, install a .700 lift cam, and 5.13 gears.
Because that’s an awesome combo in nearly anything to get going fast.

Oh, that would be a .750 roller because RRR says so.
:rofl:

what the hell are youtalking about
In a a direct response to exactly what you wrote.

Read comprehension you lack.
with your f bomb bullshit I aint got time for you
Why your upset with the F bomb use, IDK. Being that you called me a pickle sniffer, I figure esteem that and the comment of me “Stroking” members, comments you made first…..

a F bomb isn’t a big deal. But yet you get offended and upset over it.

So you can insult and cast stones but cry a river when I throw one back at you.

This is where you get the “Little Girl” title.
get lost..call me a girl...?youd get winded trying to find out...

This is funny in a way, since it’s a thin threat.

I ain’t fighting anyone here and I’m just laughing over everything so far until you started to flip out.

Yep! I’m sure I’ll get winded. I get winded due to health issues doing simple ****. All well, nothing I can do about that. But I’m sure you’ll want to take advantage of that on me.

Speaking of which, I know a few chicks that would like to try your meddle out. I used to train with them. I’d bet my ‘73-4spd Cúda hands down and blindly that not only will they kick your *** inside out, but for surely one of them will bring there strap on and do you like a $2 ***** all the way to China and back.

Again, this is on you, tell me your pronouns and I’ll set up a date for you to me one of the ladies. Bring vaseline and burn ointment.
You’ll need it. A lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back