318 msd 6al, msd blaster ss coil, msd distributor not working

-
A couple of things I have done troubleshooting ignition issues is to pull the distributor out of the engine and run it with a hand drill.

If you are getting a spark directly from the coil while rotating the distributor drive, but nothing at the plugs, it means you have an issue with the cap and rotor. For the ignition box to get a signal to fire, your pickup has to be working.

If you have an old OE distributor that worked before, I would give that a try instead of the MSD unit.

It's not the cap and wires. Stop and think on that. That's NINE THINGS that would have to fail at the same time. Ain't happenin. I think somehow the pickup was damaged when you removed and replaced the distributor. Have you checked the air gap between the pickup and reluctor?

It's not the cap and wires. Stop and think on that. That's NINE THINGS that would have to fail at the same time. Ain't happenin. I think somehow the pickup was damaged when you removed and replaced the distributor. Have you checked the air gap between the pickup and reluctor?
I did check the air gap, it seems like it’s on the money, i think in order for that coil wire to get spark, the pickup has to be good for it to fire?

Yeah the pickup just tells the ignition box when to energize the coil to send a spark. You should get a spark every time a reluctor tooth passes the pickup. You can check this with the cap off and a small air gap between to wire coming off the coil to ground. The distributor also had to be turning fast enough to create the signal.

I did check the air gap, it seems like it’s on the money, i think in order for that coil wire to get spark, the pickup has to be good for it to fire?
Have you tried testing the coil wire?

yeah i have spark out of the coil wire when i pull it off the distributor cap
I'd remove the rotor and inspect it very carefully. The big cap HEI distributors had a bad reputation for cracking or burning right in the center and the spark would go right to ground through the rotor to the distributor shaft. I'd inspect that rotor with a magnifying glass.

yeah i have spark out of the coil wire when i pull it off the distributor cap
Post a picture showing inside of the distributor cap. Kind of sounds like the contact fell out of the center of the cap. The one the rotor tab touches. Easy to miss on quick inspection.

To do a check a check of your msd box and coil find the white wire from the box and with the key turned on touch it to a ground if the box and coil are good you will have spark and if the box is good and the coil is not you will hear the box going off but have no spark .

I got it running last night, the brass tab that powers each of the coil wires wasn’t high enough in the cap so I swapped it with a hyperspark one. I also picked up a higher CCA battery and she fired right up. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone

Back with probably another dumb question. Just put a full msd ignition system into my 318 duster. The blaster ss coil, 6al, and pro bullet distributor. Had the car running with it all. I pulled the distributor to replace the advance bushing with the purple bushing and the springs with a light blue and light silver spring, put it back in and it doesn’t work anymore. It doesn’t sound like I’m getting any combustion at all now. The battery is at full charge and I’m getting 12.7 volts

Do I need to play with the distributor position? Maybe I’m not cranking it fast enough for the msd? I’ll watch the notifications so I can reply quickly with any additional info needed.

Thanks!

View attachment 1716297285
Back with probably another dumb question. Just put a full msd ignition system into my 318 duster. The blaster ss coil, 6al, and pro bullet distributor. Had the car running with it all. I pulled the distributor to replace the advance bushing with the purple bushing and the springs with a light blue and light silver spring, put it back in and it doesn’t work anymore. It doesn’t sound like I’m getting any combustion at all now. The battery is at full charge and I’m getting 12.7 volts

Do I need to play with the distributor position? Maybe I’m not cranking it fast enough for the msd? I’ll watch the notifications so I can reply quickly with any additional info needed.

Thanks!

View attachment 1716297285
No spark? Check the coil! Over the years, I've had 2 go dead. I carry a spare

-
Back