318 Port match heads to Performer RPM Intake

-
People have been doing the exact same concept as the whiplash cams for 50 years. It's no secret and they can run HARD.

Theory and reality are not always on the same page.

I think I will continue to put it together and see what happens. Cleaning up the ports should help a tad on flow but like I said I'm not looking for something with tons of HP. Ill experience that later in life when my dad passes down his 1970 Plymouth Cuda with a 440 making 500 HP. Right now I enjoy the tinkering and not having to worry about emission restrictions here in CA. Cant add performance stuff to my other cars as they are post 1975.
I appreciate the time to explain the technical stuff behind certain cams and compression. But I doubt my build will be complete failure as i'm sure others have run similar combinations.

Don’t take any of it too seriously.

It’s supposed to be fun.

Good luck with your first build.

good cam hysteric
we used it 440s 10:1
less or 383 the 267hdp
lift is not pushing limits
but fat where it needs to be
what did you say your cmpression was?

Hey Wyrmrider, Comp is 9.6-1 from memory but id like to get it up over 10 if i could.

Have you measured the lobes? I couldn't find a master lobe list from Crower to see how big the they really are. The adv durations on the crowers are a little long for the total lift so I figure they aren't very agressive. I have a 282 HDP on the shelf i'll try next but I need to get the new carb sorted and some runs in the current configuaration.

What Spring did Mike Jones spec for that cam he ground for you?

contact shaun @ crowler
I do not think I ever cam doc'd the 267 or 271 crowler
Crowler may use .005 so would be longer than comp but shorter than crane for the same lobe- ask shaun
Crower / Engle are proven designs and not as fast as the comp HL grinds (or howard?)
the fat cams with the lift rolled over wear very eell
The heads they were dsigned for did not flow more wth higher lift so why push it into pointy nose territory
they work well with stock manifolds

for Krooser's car i'll have to look
I do ot know if he bought springs yet
he recommended one beehive but Krooser has long valves so needs a different sprng

contact shaun @ crowler
I do not think I ever cam doc'd the 267 or 271 crowler
Crowler may use .005 so would be longer than comp but shorter than crane for the same lobe- ask shaun
Crower / Engle are proven designs and not as fast as the comp HL grinds (or howard?)
the fat cams with the lift rolled over wear very eell
The heads they were dsigned for did not flow more wth higher lift so why push it into pointy nose territory
they work well with stock manifolds

for Krooser's car i'll have to look
I do ot know if he bought springs yet
he recommended one beehive but Krooser has long valves so needs a different sprng
The cam Crower suggested was literally 1 degree of duration off what bullet recommended. Both cam companies are top notch. Miles from cromp cams

Mike Jones 2011
If you have two cams that open and close at the same exact spots, and have the same max lift, the one with more area may not make any more power down low,
but will make more top-end power, and hold it longer.
The one with less area, will normally be down on power everywhere.
There are some cases where more area doesn't help, but that's not the norm.

"Adding area, without adding duration changes the RPM band very little in most cases,
and just increases the power in that power band."

You will find that if you up the .200 duration at the same seat you will approximate the power of a longer seat cam, you just have to dig up the data

So what I try and do is maximize the area for the rev range chosen
Maximize the area for the duration chosen
Maximize the area for the compression ratio extant - what Aj talks about
now if someone wants to give up a little low end to get some more top end FINE
but get the gears and converter to go with it or bite the bullet and up the compression
or live with low end loss works ok with a freeway flyer not so much with a daily driver
you can push the duration up into trailer bracket racing range- but keep as much what is not low end- it's now mid range- as possible

I did the 340/360 port match and 1.88x1.60 valves with bowl blend and deshroud cut on "302" casting heads ages ago. Had it in a tow rig (D250 with 727 and 3.55 gears) and it was awesome. I had a lightly modified 360 in there but as prices soared in the late '90s I freshened the original 318 with these heads and never regretted it. Towing, the only real difference was from a dead stop (as you would expect), but once moving the 318 was just as effective in every way.

302heads.jpg

-
Back