318 value

-
all this ^^^

and, on top of that, don't be a flim flammer, tire kicker, waffling, time pirate.

don't offer half, that's just rude. and be ready to pony up the dough if the deal rolls. none of that "i gotta go to the bank" or "let me move some money around" or "i get paid tuesday" horseshittery. money talks and bullshit walks, amigo.

also, be realistic. are you really going to drive 4+ hours to go get a motor? if somebody doesn't explicitly state in their add that they're willing to ship, don't nag them about shipping. and if they say they're willing to ship, the rest is on you to figure out. after it's on a pallet, it's not their problem.

on top of all of this, you don't even know if your hypothetical new car is even going to need a motor.
The 318 was only 30 minutes away from me and this happened almost 2 years ago. At the time I saw the motor at his shop I was thinking about buying it for a rebuild to put in a '69 dart that he had that had a 273 in it. He was one of those people that think that because it's a mopar it's worth a gold mine. He forgot about what it's worth and what you get is two different things.

The 318 was only 30 minutes away from me and this happened almost 2 years ago. At the time I saw the motor at his shop I was thinking about buying it for a rebuild to put in a '69 dart that he had that had a 273 in it. He was one of those people that think that because it's a mopar it's worth a gold mine. He forgot about what it's worth and what you get is two different things.
If I was buying a motor for a rebuild, $800.00 may be a little high, but if the motor was to be a drop-in, then I would want to hear it run, whether in a car or on the ground. Takes about an hour to hook up a tranny, exhausts, fuel and battery. Hot wire to the coil and starter and your ready to go. Don't forget to remove line from starter or use a starter button. LOL

If I was buying a motor for a rebuild, $800.00 may be a little high, but if the motor was to be a drop-in, then I would want to hear it run, whether in a car or on the ground. Takes about an hour to hook up a tranny, exhausts, fuel and battery. Hot wire to the coil and starter and your ready to go. Don't forget to remove line from starter or use a starter button. LOL
It was minus the carb, distributor, starter, water and fuel pump and no flex plate or transmission

I recently found a 318, year, condition is unknown by the individual who has it. What makes it tempting is that it has a 340 intake manifold on it. It's complete except for the carburetor and distributor. The owner said make me a offer, but honestly I have no idea what to offer him. I don't think that he'll let me pull the oil pan either
A 340 manifold isn't all that great.

These days you have some good intake options and that wouldn't be the deciding factor for me.

In fact, I wouldn't even consider buying a 318 unless it was really something special. If you're buying an engine just be patient and get a 360. Might cost you $200 more up front but from there on you'll be playing with 20 ft lbs more, pretty much across the rpm range, almost regardless of what mods you make from then on.

Buy a car
And stop the excuses. It like Ferris Buller. My sister's, cousins, friend, knows a guy who's friend saw a car at 31 Flavors I am going look at. Get a car 1st. Quit worrying about cams, intake, exhaust, etc.

You going to start a thread on if nitrogen in tires is better with a 318 next?

Are your turning down possible good cars with 340/360/383/440 etc.. or even a warmed over 318 since it will give you nothing to do ?

Are your turning down possible good cars with 340/360/383/440 etc.. or even a warmed over 318 since it will give you nothing to do ?
Dan only looks into cars that are not good. That way he has an out to not buy them.

A 340 manifold isn't all that great.

These days you have some good intake options and that wouldn't be the deciding factor for me.

In fact, I wouldn't even consider buying a 318 unless it was really something special. If you're buying an engine just be patient and get a 360. Might cost you $200 more up front but from there on you'll be playing with 20 ft lbs more, pretty much across the rpm range, almost regardless of what mods you make from then on.
I don't know why people don't build more mild big blocks, could run 2.76 gears factory stall and still make a ton of power especially idle to 4000 rpms, ultimate driver.

I don't know why people don't build more mild big blocks, could run 2.76 gears factory stall and still make a ton of power especially idle to 4000 rpms, ultimate driver.
I wouldn't myself unless money wasn't an issue. If your car has a 318, it's easy to build it or build another bigger cube small block to go in the hole. If you build a big block car, you have to change a lot to make it work. Purely economics for me. Like I mentioned in another thread, I can drive 4 hours north to a car show for less than $30. My friend with a 500 horse wedge costs him north of $75. Economics.

I wouldn't myself unless money wasn't an issue. If your car has a 318, it's easy to build it or build another bigger cube small block to go in the hole. If you build a big block car, you have to change a lot to make it work. Purely economics for me. Like I mentioned in another thread, I can drive 4 hours north to a car show for less than $30. My friend with a 500 horse wedge costs him north of $75. Economics.
Your comparing a mild 318 to a built big block, I'm talking very mild under 400 hp.

I'm just saying a lot of people would like to get away with highway gears, stock stall, daily driver idle, good throttle response and great power from idle to 4000 rpm that's a big block. No reason a mild big block can't get reasonable mileage. You can do all the first group of things to any cid but not the great power from idle to 4000 rpm that's mainly displacement. More displacement more power in that range, if your happy with what a basically stock 318 can do under those circumstances fine, but with all these mild 318 threads obviously not, not saying everyone should go big block but would make more sense.

Last edited:
NO I'M NOT TURNING THEM DOWN
Don't have to yell, so in the end of the day after all these 318 questions and hypothetical builds you might end up with something else. Why people are saying wait to you get a car and go from there.

With all the things you want a 318 to do, I'd look for a car with a Hemi swap especially with an OD.
Will be a car that has decent power and very drivable.

Don't have to yell, so in the end of the day after all these 318 questions and hypothetical builds you might end up with something else. Why people are saying wait to you get a car and go from there.
I didn't mean for it to sound like that. That's what I'll do

My take is seat of the pants fun, torque.. you will never beat a 68-9 RoadRunner with 4 speed and 3:55 3:91 gears...but who an afford one now days!!!! Same in a A body would be great..who needs matching numbers!! answer: those guys with lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I can never understand who everyone want to spend $$$$ to any SB in an A body HOTROD!!??
Maybe I am just nuts. (not asking for an answer!!)

My take is seat of the pants fun, torque.. you will never beat a 68-9 RoadRunner with 4 speed and 3:55 3:91 gears...but who an afford one now days!!!! Same in a A body would be great..who needs matching numbers!! answer: those guys with lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I can never understand who everyone want to spend $$$$ to any SB in an A body HOTROD!!??
I'd love to have a '68 or '69 roadrunner with
I'd love to have a '68 or a '69 roadrunner. Our neighbor had a '68 roadrunner with a 383 4 speed, it was hers and she didn't mind letting people know that it was hers. It was blue with a blue interior. I'm not worried about number matching either. "A" body mopars? Myself, that's what I've been or owned. I could never afford the chargers, 'cuda's, roadrunner, etc.

^^^^ Yea 2 nd gen Chargers are still nuts and 68-70 Runner and Bees are stupid too.

One of my past happy days was when I bought a '70 318 Challenger with good running 440, rust free for $1000 and drove it home with almost no exhaust. People said that 318 car was worthless!
OK so that was about '87.

But next year I bought a 'AAR Cuda (real one) for $3500 it needed NOTHING! guess I overpaid for that 318 440 transplanted Challenger!!!:thumbsup::BangHead:

money and hassle. straight up.

you have a 318 2V car now think about what you need to get a BB in there:
mounts- 150~250
transmission- let's say you get lucky and score a $500 cast off
exhaust- what's the cheapest headers gonna run? maybe you scoop a used set for $500?

then: do you need a better radiator? does the power booster fit? power steering? gonna need to get that oil pan that fits and make sure your steering linkage is right. brakes up to the task?

so you're easily 1500 into it before a motor and other assorted sundries.

With all the things you want a 318 to do, I'd look for a car with a Hemi swap especially with an OD.
Will be a car that has decent power and very drivable.
you find me a G3 swapped A body that's decent and under 20K and i'll eat my hat.

money and hassle. straight up.

you have a 318 2V car now think about what you need to get a BB in there:
mounts- 150~250
transmission- let's say you get lucky and score a $500 cast off
exhaust- what's the cheapest headers gonna run? maybe you scoop a used set for $500?

then: do you need a better radiator? does the power booster fit? power steering? gonna need to get that oil pan that fits and make sure your steering linkage is right. brakes up to the task?

so you're easily 1500 into it before a motor and other assorted sundries.
I get that, my point how many times you see people say they want great idle-4000rpm performance with highway gears, stock stall great drivability etc.. But want to get it out of a 318 or something like that.
All that spells out run more displacement, most only seem to think of displacement is when you want to make over 450-500 + hp not 300-400 hp obviously you don't need it to make this level of power but it's gonna be the most streetable way to get it. If you build it big enough 2.76 gear and a 2000 rpm stall could be the optimal gear and stall for the quarter mile and be mild as can be. There's a reason Cadillac built a 500 engine, Smooth street friendly power.

I get that, my point how many times you see people say they want great idle-4000rpm performance with highway gears, stock stall great drivability etc.. But want to get it out of a 318 or something like that.
All that spells out run more displacement, most only seem to think of displacement is when you want to make over 450-500 + hp not 300-400 hp obviously you don't need it to make this level of power but it's gonna be the most streetable way to get it. If you build it big enough 2.76 gear and a 2000 rpm stall could be the optimal gear and stall for the quarter mile and be mild as can be. There's a reason Cadillac built a 500 engine, Smooth street friendly power.
i agree wholeheartedly, it's just the additional cost of the supporting cast can present a barrier most are not willing or able to scale-- let alone the complexity of making the swap and the mechanical details that involves.

it's 100% a viable option, and could be a good one at that. however, it is not without its hurdles.

i agree wholeheartedly, it's just the additional cost of the supporting cast can present a barrier most are not willing or able to scale-- let alone the complexity of making the swap and the mechanical details that involves.

it's 100% a viable option, and could be a good one at that. however, it is not without its hurdles.
True every choice has it's compromises.

-
Back