340 camshaft question, yea another one.

-
The mopar cam should be around 228° @ .050" on the 268 lobe....

How many have you personally measured on a cam doctor? I've measured at least 4 and another member has had 3 and none of them were ever close to 228 at .050. Not a chance! The 85% of advertised thing (268*.85). LOL

The 214/224 cam is a step UP from the stock stick. Go figure! :)

Last edited:
How many have you personally measured on a cam doctor? I've measured at least4 and another member has had 3 and none of them were ever close to 228 at .050. Not a chance!

The 214/224 cam is a step UP from the stock stick. Go figure! :)

I just used a ball park from the many cam comparisons that I have made... Typically the Mopar cams run 85% of the total duration at .050"... Ken got about 82% of advertised duration compared to .050" duration when he measured it...

The actual cam that I have measured 221°/227° @ .050" on Oregon's equipment...

I measured it at 228°/234° at home with a degree wheel.... (there was a little more error in my process, but it was repeatable...)

I just used a ball park from the many cam comparisons that I have made... Typically the Mopar cams run 85% of the total duration at .050"... Ken got about 82% of advertised duration compared to .050" duration when he measured it...

The actual cam that I have measured 221°/227° @ .050" on Oregon's equipment...

I measured it at 228°/234° at home with a degree wheel.... (there was a little more error in my process, but it was repeatable...)

The measured cam was an original 340 piece?

The measured cam was an original 340 piece?

No, it was custom ground to be close to the stock 340 4 speed cam. My cam had the intake center line about 4° off, but Ken (Oregon Cam Grinders) was able to measure it and put the lobes back to where the stock spec was for Dibbon's build... So the new cam available through Oregon Cam Grinders will be right on for lobe centerlines and lobe separation, just .006" less lift on the intake lobe. The exhaust love is right on... That's the closest we have come so far to the original 340 4 speed cam...

No, it was custom ground to be close to the stock 340 4 speed cam. My cam had the intake center line about 4° off, but Ken (Oregon Cam Grinders) was able to measure it and put the lobes back to where the stock spec was for Dibbon's build... So the new cam available through Oregon Cam Grinders will be right on for lobe centerlines and lobe separation, just .006" less lift on the intake lobe. The exhaust love is right on... That's the closest we have come so far to the original 340 4 speed cam...

LOL. This is funny when speaking about actual cams that came out of stock 340 auto cars and this custom thing.

Have at it. Waste of time even posting in here with actual stock/oem 340 cam measurements.

LOL. This is funny when speaking about actual cams that came out of stock 340 auto cars and this custom thing.

Have at it. Waste of time even posting in here with actual stock/oem 340 cam measurements.

Not stock 340 auto, but stock 68 340 4 speed cam...

Why is it a waste of time posting the cam specs???

If anyone is interested I called Bullet Cams to talk about a cam recommendation.
I asked what they could do to make it a little more streetsble with the XE274 by regrinding it. What Langley cam up with is a 273/282 225/[email protected] and a .325 lobe lifting a 110 LSA. He didn't recommend taking any more out of it because of the heat treating depth.
Is this something that I should consider? It's $70 for the regrind plus the shipping cost. For another $60 I could buy another new cam.

I'd buy a new one, with faster lobes, and more lift.
225@050 is a very nice street cam.But the 273 will want a lot of compression to not be soft on the bottom; unless you already have something like a 3000TC, and at least 3.55s.If you have those, then you can sacrifice some Dcr and the 273 will have a little lope in it if you idle it way down.
At .325 lobe lift or .488 with 1.5 true ratio, it will play nice with stock LA guides.
At 273* and with an auto, it will want to be shifted quite deep, so springs will be need to to be selected to go there, and that will put the pressure on those reground lobes. With a stick-car you could shift a good 300rpm sooner.
Still it's hard to justify risking a tear down for $60.
Those are my thoughts

I'd buy a new one, with faster lobes, and more lift.
225@050 is a very nice street cam.But the 273 will want a lot of compression to not be soft on the bottom; unless you already have something like a 3000TC, and at least 3.55s.If you have those, then you can sacrifice some Dcr and the 273 will have a little lope in it if you idle it way down.
At .325 lobe lift or .488 with 1.5 true ratio, it will play nice with stock LA guides.
At 273* and with an auto, it will want to be shifted quite deep, so springs will be need to to be selected to go there, and that will put the pressure on those reground lobes. With a stick-car you could shift a good 300rpm sooner.
Still it's hard to justify risking a tear down for $60.
Those are my thoughts
Somehow I had a feeling you'd say that.
I do have 3:55s and with 1.6 rockers it would have valve lift over .500. I could make it work with more converter.
I'm waiting for Howard's to get back to me with a recommendation . A Lunati VooDoo being the default cam.

-
Back