340 Engine Shake

-
Your engine/driveline set up has alot to offer for some real street performance.
Remind me what compression ratio?
Cranking cylinder pressue?
What size rear tire?

The current tire size is just under 26" 245/45/17. I think 25.6?

I don't know exact compression, but I calculated it to about 9.6 - 9.8 with the Lunati cam I had and this calculator. Deck Clearance Calculator | UEM Pistons

Your a little limited with the lower compression but thats fine as you will be running pump gas. With a manual trans, your axle ratio and tire size you dont need a low end cam to fry the tires.
Personally I would have a custom cam ground but good cam cores a hard to find.
If your thinking about out of the box performance try this on for size.
Hydraulic Roller Camshaft; 1964 - 2003 Chrysler 273, 340, 360 2400 to 6300 Howards Cams 712105-10 | Howards Cams
Aren't there Street rollers that require no block machining?

Your a little limited with the lower compression but thats fine as you will be running pump gas. With a manual trans, your axle ratio and tire size you dont need a low end cam to fry the tires.
Hydraulic Roller Camshaft; 1964 - 2003 Chrysler 273, 340, 360 2400 to 6300 Howards Cams 712105-10 | Howards Cams
That’s a pretty healthy cam

Looked kinda Tough!
I believe that the OP's heads have enough flow cfm to handle that cam.
The OP's driveline would lend itself to aggressive street manners and would be spirited to drive on the street.
It may be a little aggressive but with a manual trans you can drive it the way you want without fighting a torque converter.

Last edited:
None, at this point. Read yesterday that some small rollers don't need machine work to the block, then Seen the cam you recommended for the OP.... and then my Lil Gears Upstairs started spinning...
No fears
Their most likely talking about race applications, bushing lifters bores, oiling mod's etc.
With the correct lifter no block mods a required for the street, no black magic here, its done all time.

I'm gonna need something with at least a 110 lsa. It has to be EFI friendly. I don't really want a rough idle. Might have to start calling around.

Probably why most would say " have a custom one cut".... I have an old solid lifter cam but I don't know if that could be used as a coee for a roller. It's a Comp MP cut though. Got it from an army aviation mechanic I bought my short block from

I'm gonna need something with at least a 110 lsa. It has to be EFI friendly. I don't really want a rough idle. Might have to start calling around.
May be pretty tough to find a cam like that off the shelve.
The absolute worst thing you can do is over cam the engine, that will kill HP and make a ***** to drive. Your set up has a lot to offer if done correctly you should have a real road rocket.
Give Racer Brown a call they can help ya.
I would also try Crower

I had similar problems with a blocked injector get someone to turn the key on to do the prime shot do not start you will see if all 4 venturis are getting a squirt

One thing I haven't been able to get over with a roller is the distributor drive gear.
For a street car, a bronze gear seems dumb.
The melonited gears seem like unobtanium?
Not sure what other choices are out there, but there's lots of confusion.
Stock magnums ran hydraulic rollers and didn't have bronze distributor gears.. Curious how all that shakes out, because I'd love to run a decently hot solid roller, but I only drive mine on the street..

One thing I haven't been able to get over with a roller is the distributor drive gear.
Stock magnums ran hydraulic rollers and didn't have bronze distributor gears.. Curious how all that shakes out, because I'd love to run a decently hot solid roller, but I only drive mine on the street..
Thanks for Bringing that to Light! That's what I'm talking about! There was a Company that had smaller rollers, someone posted here, looked kick ***, and reasonable too.

Sometimes. Lol
Some blocks only need a couple spots ground on the rear of the lifter Valley, others not.. some about half. Unless the links are reversed, it's a crap shoot.
So Basically, I ain't pulling a Hydro, and swapping w/ any Hyd. roller? I should have scored that whip *** valve gear, for the Soilds, when I had the chance..

Cams ground from a billet cam core require a billet "bronze" distributor drive gear.
Cams ground from a cast cam core use a cast drive gear.
It's a material hardness compatibility issue

Thanks for Bringing that to Light! That's what I'm talking about! There was a Company that had smaller rollers, someone posted here, looked kick ***, and reasonable too.
"smaller rollers"
Are you referring to the physical size of the base circle?
Or a cam with short lift and duration?

So I talked to Comp today. The guy was super nice and really spent the time. He suggested this cam and these lifters in the roller variety. He chose the cam based on the self learning EFI. He did say you could go more aggressive, but they become harder to tune. I want this to be as easy as possible.

Because I have adjustable rockers, he said nothing else is needed except custom length push rods and he recommended smith brothers.

COMP Cams 20-811-9 COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Retrofit Camshafts | Summit Racing

COMP Cams 89201-16 COMP Cams Evolution Series Hydraulic Roller Lifters | Summit Racing

Car is coming home today and I will be busy pulling motor.

So I talked to Comp today. The guy was super nice and really spent the time. He suggested this cam and these lifters in the roller variety. He chose the cam based on the self learning EFI. He did say you could go more aggressive, but they become harder to tune. I want this to be as easy as possible.

Because I have adjustable rockers, he said nothing else is needed except custom length push rods and he recommended smith brothers.

COMP Cams 20-811-9 COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Retrofit Camshafts | Summit Racing

COMP Cams 89201-16 COMP Cams Evolution Series Hydraulic Roller Lifters | Summit Racing

Car is coming home today and I will be busy pulling motor.
The Comp Cam cam specs look OK for street performance, IMO you would be leaving some Hp on the table.
Do your research on Comp Cam quality issues before you purchase.
That Hyd roller is there latest rendition of what they think a Hyd roller should be as the prior was a failure, dont ask me how I know my *** is still burning.

The Comp Cam cam specs look OK for street performance, IMO you would be leaving some Hp on the table.
Do your research on Comp Cam quality issues before you purchase.
That Hyd roller is there latest rendition of what they think a Hyd roller should be as the prior was a failure, dont ask me how I know my *** is still burning.

He did say that I would be leaving some HP on the table, however with the EFI this was the best compromise, for ease of tuning. I'm also not looking to squeeze every bit of HP out of the motor, being that is a street cruiser. Lol.

The failures do make me nervous. When I was talking to the tech guy about the Lunati failure he said they should have informed you not to break in a flat tappet with the ede springs. Even though they aren't dual, their spring rate is too high for breakin. That disappointed me because I specifically asked lunati that question. Not saying thats what happened, but couldn't help.

I got the car home. Cleaned the shop, so I'm gonna start tearing into next week. We are leaving for vacation on Thursday.

-
Back