340 headers?

-

73DartSport340

Reaction score
Ok guys have not really been looking so I don't know whats new or whats not made anymore so I need your help. When my headers finally go I am wondering for replacements is there anything EXCEPT TTI's(i absolutely REFUSE to pay what they want for headers unless they are gold plated and install themselves!!!!) is there anything that actually fits a 73 Dart Sport 340? I wont pay $700+ for a set of headers thats crazy....but $400 and less is fine preferably less :). if not I will just throw the manifolds back on it but id rather have headers but refuse to pay the RIP OFF(IMO) tti prices.... for 4 sets of their headers I could have BOUGHT my entire car!

there are no headers on the market that fit worth a damn but TTI. even the hooker super comps hang low, snake around the steering box poorly. even the header flange at the head is not that thick. yeah TTI's are expensive, but the mandrel bends, around the steering box, and the tucked to chassis fit is well worth it. most headers will have to be replaced in a few years. my buddy has had his for 5-6 years driving it in the rain and all and they show a bit of rust, but they still work just like day 1.

I would probably throw manifolds back on.

Hooker makes a set of 1 3/4 tubes that fit nice, plenty of sparkplug wire clearence on number 5 & #7. They will only fit with manual steering though.
I know the TTI's are expensive, but they are the only hedder that are designed for Mopars by Mopar people! To me, if i don't have to put up with burnt up plugwires, leaking gaskets, & bent drivers lower tubes, then they might be worth it. My next set will be TTI's. Has anybody tried a set of the Dougs headers that go above the steering center link?

Uggggh looking like manifolds then :(...I was just hoping someone had jumped on the TTI trend of some that fit that I did not hear about yet....Oh well..

Sorry to break it to you but nothing fits anywhere close to TTI's. I was skeptical at first also but after installing both Hedmans and Hookers and both taking a days very hard work (with some help) and seeing a buddy of mine put on a set of TTI's (by himself) in just 3 hrs. I'm a believer. (BTW Both cars had power steering.) I can't say I'm crazy about paying $650 for headers either but all things considered, like they don't hang down 4 inchs from the ground like my Hookers do I'm sure they will last much longer, they are tons easier to install, and they also produce more power.

Yeah but even if they were the ONLY header made id still not get them...cant justify that kind of $$$$. Thnaks though guys just will go back to manifolds :(

i have hedmans and they work just fine on the dart...i wanted to go with TTI's but like everyone else i didnt want to pay 800 for headers

i have run both the headmans and the hookers on my dart.. they work fine but they hang low and hit everything .. and the #5 & #7 plugs wires are a pain to keep away from the headders... sorry but for the best fit its TTI... i used to say the same thing.. they cost too much .. thats until i put them on the car... the plugs are cake to get to.. they tuck up under the car real nice.. they are just the best out there no ifs ands or butts....

oh yea if i remember correctly they were about $499 not $700.. but i got the chrome ones not the ceramic coated ones..

I've got Hooker headers on the Duster. They were on there when I got the
car 3 years ago. Dont know when they were installed. They haven't leaked
anywhere. Granted they do hang slightly low. But i thank they work great.
A buddy has a Demon with Dynomax coated headers. If he had problems I
would have heard it from him. My Hookers are getting rusty and I just might
put a set of those on.

headmans... hookers were pretty close to the same if i remember...

DSC02179.JPG

tti.. look at how much easier the plugs are to get to... and no burnt boots or wires... thick flanges.. just a quality headder....

DSC02539.JPG

and look how high that tti headder sits... its not hitting anything...

DSC02553.JPG

like i said the hookers and headmans perform great.. the tti's perform great and fit great....

abodyjoe said:
headmans... hookers were pretty close to the same if i remember...

DSC02179.JPG

tti.. look at how much easier the plugs are to get to... and no burnt boots or wires... thick flanges.. just a quality headder....

DSC02539.JPG

Hookers run identical to Hedmans at the cylinder head. Burnt 5 & 7 wires all the time if you run them between tube and valve cover.

TTi are the only ones that fit decent.

Don't give up on your search for TTI's-- watch E-Bay-- I bought a set of ceramic coated TTI's that had never been on a car for $515. Have lots of time on your hands & a buddy when you get ready to put them on though....Not near as easy as to install as long tubes on a Dakota....

Lol id even be hard pressed to spend $500+ on them im more like a $300 range guy :).

Well if price is an issue the Hedmans are less than $150 without the ceramic coating and about $300 with.

I have Hedmans on my 68 Barracuda and they fit fine, don't leak (after doubling up the gaskets) and yes they hang below the steering linkage but the only thing I have touched them on is the lip going in and out of the garage. Also, as long as you are willing to jack the engine up they go right in with no issues.

On cylinders 5 & 7 just use angle boots (or get the MSD multiangle that you can bend to suit) and route the wires under the tube.

mikedevore said:
Hooker makes a set of 1 3/4 tubes that fit nice, plenty of sparkplug wire clearence on number 5 & #7. They will only fit with manual steering though.
I know the TTI's are expensive, but they are the only hedder that are designed for Mopars by Mopar people! To me, if i don't have to put up with burnt up plugwires, leaking gaskets, & bent drivers lower tubes, then they might be worth it. My next set will be TTI's. Has anybody tried a set of the Dougs headers that go above the steering center link?

I have these 'above the steering linkage' on my 340 car. In truth I would not recommend them - clearance is too close to too many things. Perform fine, but just too tight a fit.

If you want a header that fits very nice and can change all your plugs in less than 10 mins, check out hooker super comps #5204 There are 1 3/4 and fit great around a manual steering box, also you dont have the #5,7 plug wire problem.

well the way i see it you get what you pay for i have big tube hooker super comps for my scamp never had a problem with the plug wires but my headers are wraped

Whew! I just got done with my Hookers. The regular comp series units. There hanging low as normal. I have had far warning and exper. with these clone headers before. I have to say, the Hookers were murderous getting in. But fit great. No denting. I also have in the past used Headman. Same results.
Other manufactures get an "F!" in my book.

But, like I said, it's the typical 3 out of 4 pipes under the linkage deal again.

duster harry said:
If you want a header that fits very nice and can change all your plugs in less than 10 mins, check out hooker super comps #5204 There are 1 3/4 and fit great around a manual steering box, also you dont have the #5,7 plug wire problem.

those #5402 hookers are easy to instal and they fit pretty good but they will not fit a 73 or newer A-Body because of the redesign of the front suspension that came in 73 :(
i have a set of those in my garage rusted to hell but still a nice set of headers, have tried flowtech and hooker #5116 and the big diference whas that the hookers where eaiser to install due to a slipjoint on the #1 cylinder tube, both made it realy timekiling to change sparkplugs.. i know have TTI and they fit great and if i had not bought them i would already have bought 3 more sets of headers since i refuse to drive around with seriusly flattend primarytubes

duster harry said:

They wont fit with a Milodon pan either. :angry4:

-
Back