340 plans

-
let me see if i can figure out how to upload them off my samsung s5, any ideas?

Nothing wrong with building a 340. Heck, Im piecing one together as we speak,and have no idea what im going to do with it when im done.
Guess im going to have to get another car. :)

Attachments

• 20140427_165310.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 192
It's not about money , it's about an H car that is hard to find these days , at least one that is ORIGINAL low miles, not restored , not beaten to death . That's MY opinion , don't like to see them H cars modified to death . I have 2 H cars , and I use a spare motor I rebuilt to drive and race , put in an overdrive , (gas is 1.70+ a litre) but keep all the original parts ready to put back on , all bolt on easy to put back to original .
Putting a hemi in there will take some major mods , if I did it it would be on a 318 or 225 Dart . And I think the hemi Dart is a great idea , just not a low mile original H car

A 340 car in '69 would not be an "H code" car, it would be a P code. H in '69 was 383. The 340 didn't become P until '70.

Still, I agree, an original factory numbers matching Hi-Po car is best left with the original power plant. But, it's his car. Every one that's customized just makes mine more rare. :glasses7:

A 340 car in '69 would not be an "H code" car, it would be a P code. H in '69 was 383. The 340 didn't become P until '70.

Still, I agree, an original factory numbers matching Hi-Po car is best left with the original power plant. But, it's his car. Every one that's customized just makes mine more rare. :glasses7:
Right 340 did not become an H car till 70 , have had 70 darts so everything 340 is H to me , sorry

Get a photo hosting account and then use the pic link thing to insert

Nothing wrong with building a 340. Heck, Im piecing one together as we speak,and have no idea what im going to do with it when im done.
Guess im going to have to get another car. :)
You can NEVER have enough 340 motors . I have 3 and always looking for another deal .

Agree, you can never have enough 340's. Would love to see this '69 Swinger 340 stay a 340, but hey...!

I wouldn't worry about a fender tag if you're going to cut the tubs and put a paddle shifted late model Hemi in it. I say it's your car do want you want to it. That being said, I wouldn't put a bunch of money into an engine that you're going to barely get broken in and then pull back out? Box that stuff up and put it on a shelf in case the next owner wants to put it back in. You have plenty of other projects you could be working on this summer. If you absolutely have to put an engine in it now, buy a used 360 off of Craigslist and you could be driving next weekend.

Looks like a great starting point to me! If you have time, start a build thread to show your progress (with whatever you do) and put a link to it from this thread so we don't miss it.

Alternatively, I know you didn't ask, but you could very possibly be money ahead to sell this car as-is to someone who wants to restore it, then buy a pretty darn nice /6 or 318 car to modify. You'd have less money into it in the end (starting from a better place needing less work/fewer parts), could probably get it done faster, and would save a factory hi-po car. It would be a win for you, a win for the car, a win for someone else, wins all around. Just sayin'. You could buy a very nice 318 car for what you could sell that 340 car for as-is.

i totally get what you guys are saying, and to me its just a bonus thats its a factory 340 car, but im gonna do the hemi swap any way lol, one thing that stikes me as odd is that its an 8 3\4 but its an open diff, i was sure it would have been a sure grip, any ideas?

Lots of 340 cars made with open rears. Not unusual at all. Check the fender tag or build sheet to see what it came with, if you have one of those.

It's not like the car is a nice survivor or anything, so sure, tear it up, what the heck.

lol exactly, theres no fender tag, its missing. i love the fact that its factory 340 car, im not a clone fan. i havent found the build sheet yet, i checked under the rear seat so far, ill get into it in august when i get home

If its an LA built car there is no build sheet. Those seats look like they are out of a 70's a body so if there was one its probably gone. Check behind the glove box. i have found them there too.

Lots of 340 cars made with open rears. Not unusual at all. Check the fender tag or build sheet to see what it came with, if you have one of those.

It's not like the car is a nice survivor or anything, so sure, tear it up, what the heck.
+ 1 on the open diff , mine came with 3:23 open from the factory , of course I changed it as 1/8 mile burnouts were not good , time slips sucked , 14.9 .

lol, ive been reading and re reading all day, i think ill pick up anouth car to do the swap in, im going to build the 340 and run it in the dart, should i port the **** out of the x heads or go aluminum,

Go with aluminum and store the x heads if you opt to sell the car. Might also want to look into a roller cam setup. It brings you into the power curve sooner and keeps you there longer.

-
Back